Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:21 PM

Default 2018 ec 300 power valve issue

Hey guys,
Over the weekend I decide I wanted to see what setting my power valve was at so I found this video and followed its instructions

https://youtu.be/lu3T-ctnzKY

I did have one problem, after loosening the lock nut I found that the lock nut was seized to the alan key so I did something silly and removed the lock nut with the pin inside so I could free up the lock nut. Well after freeing up the locknut I re installed it back into the bike, i set the pin at 2 turns out then tightened the lock nut. When nipping up the locknut it started to turn something inside the motor so I stopped what I was doing and called my local gas gas dealer. They are saying I need to bring them the bike so they can reset the power valve, is this an easy job that I would be able to do myself?
I'm pretty annoyed at myself for stuffing this up so just wanted other people to know so they dont make the same mistake I did.

Old 08-12-2018, 11:13 PM

Does anyone out there have any idea how to fix this or should I just take it to the shop?
Old 08-13-2018, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

I would at least pull the side cover off and take a look.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

The problem is that you've asked a subjective question. Is it an easy job? Easy for who? I can't lay a bead of weld to save myself.. yet many others would consider a straight forward join to be easy.

If you feel mechanically competent, then there is nothing inside a 2 stroke engine that would be considered overly challenging. The RHS engine cover comes off without too much trouble and will allow access to the entire powervalve assembly (governor, spring, linkages, ect).
Old 10-22-2018, 04:46 PM

Was the problem solved?
Old 10-23-2018, 05:05 AM

I don?t think that you break something, if you take out the adjuster cover and you operated the kickstand you will see it turn, i thing that this mechanism rotates with the engine, i think that its normal for it to turn when you are tightening the inner bolt.

I just adjusted the power valve and when i was on the process of tightening the inner bolt the mechanism rotated a little because it reached the bottom, then i just did the 2 turns out and closed the lock nut.

Job done no issue after 2 rides.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_tian View Post
Was the problem solved?
Personally I think there was no real problem...

Gru? aus Wien
Old 10-27-2018, 07:54 AM

I just adjusted the powervalve on my 18 XC 300.
I loosened the lock nut, held it in place while I adjusted the power valve with the Allen key, then I held the Allen key in place while I tightened the locknut by hand. After it was hand tight I put a wrench on it to tighten it a bit more and it rotated everything just a hair like the other guy said and heard a noise. I rode it and its fine I dont think theres anything wrong. But I?m wondering what exactly happened internally as I rotated the entire assembly when I put a wrench on the locknut? I only put slight pressure on the wrench. So next time would I just do finger tight and then leave it alone? My only concern is that when I tightened the locknut with the wrench and it rotated internally, the power valve Allen key also rotated with it so my power valve position might be off from where I think it is.
By the way I?m only talking about 3mm of rotation.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

The adjuster rotates when the engine is running.
So, no harm done.

The lock nut needs to be tight.