Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 07-25-2019, 03:38 PM

Default Need advice on EC Ranger before buying one

Hi All,
I've just joined the forum as I'm in the final stages of deciding on a new EC Ranger 300.
I've never owned a 2 stroke before and managed recently to test ride a Ranger and a few years old KTM 2 stroke, for comparisons. Both bikes we're carb models, and both bikes kept cutting out when back to idle.

Is this a carb or a 2 stroke thing?

Does a 2 stroke with a carb need constant adjustments?
I'm looking for some reasurance that a properly setup 2 stroke (In particular...an EC Ranger) should go for hours without this kind issue.

Old 07-25-2019, 03:42 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

a properly jetted 2t should be able to idle fine
Old 07-25-2019, 03:47 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

if you are comparing the ranger you should be comparing it with the ktm freeride or the beta xtrainer, they are all "play bikes" but in order of capability and components i believe it is first the gasser and last the ktm. of the three i have only ridden the xtrainer and i loved it.
even though they are classed as play bikes i think unless you are doing flat out open roads you will be more than happy with them, especially when the going gets tough
Old 07-25-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazi_matt View Post
a properly jetted 2t should be able to idle fine
Yes, invest a little time in getting it jetted properly and it'll run fine. Once it's setup it won't need constant attention, except for usual maintenance as with any bike.

All the best, Dave.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davehuge View Post
Yes, invest a little time in getting it jetted properly and it'll run fine. Once it's setup it won't need constant attention, except for usual maintenance as with any bike.

All the best, Dave.
Exactly. A properly set up Ranger should be awesome based on all the reviews that I have watched and read. I rode a 2019 X Trainer and it was good but from what I have heard/ read the Ranger is a step ahead. I am really leaning toward buying one in the near future.

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar
Old 07-26-2019, 05:58 AM

When I listen to Barry, the guy from Down Under who is definitely a brand ambassador for Beta, what he is saying about the Ranger it seems to be the better "play bike" with a supsension that is way ahead.

Many racers set the idle very low and accept that it sometimes dies. I am not a racer but I have set my idle very low too and now and then the bike dies. That's the way I like it, but like you I could set it higher and it would never die.

Depending on the altitudes you ride it may be possible to run one carb set up all year. I ride between 600 and 3800 feet and use the same set up without problems, but I do not ride WOT for longer than a few seconds.
Old 08-03-2019, 04:01 PM

Thanks to everyone for your helpful replies. I just bought my EC Ranger yesterday and had my first ride today off road. Only issue is the bike fires up OK and runs well at idle and the initial take off but anything over 70km (need to change speedo to Mph) and it feels flat and gutless. I should add that this is a brand new bike and so i was really hoping it would sing.
Old 08-03-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewee64 View Post
but anything over 70km (need to change speedo to Mph) and it feels flat and gutless. I should add that this is a brand new bike and so i was really hoping it would sing.
As with most competition/high performance 2 strokes, I would imagine you need to adjust the jetting. GasGas seem to send their bikes out from the factory with rich jetting, for safety I suppose as it's impossible to send them out jetted for all climates/altitudes.

As it's a new bike why not speak to your dealer and ask if he's willing to adjust the jetting for you? If he's not willing then open the carb and see what pilot, needle and main jet you have. Maybe ask your dealer if he's willing to provide some jets at trade price?

Tell us what you have.

I always start with the main jet, if you hold the throttle wide open, does it pull cleanly from medium revs and rev out cleanly? From what you said previously, I guess not.

I've always found this very helpful...

calchart.gif

It may take a little time/effort to get the jetting sorted but once it's there it's well worth it.

All the best, Dave.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:09 PM

Interesting, I've just noticed the 300 Ranger has a 36mm PWK Keihin carburetor compared to the EC300's 38mm PWK Keihin.

That's not a bad thing.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
When I listen to Barry, the guy from Down Under who is definitely a brand ambassador for Beta, what he is saying about the Ranger it seems to be the better "play bike" with a supsension that is way ahead.

Many racers set the idle very low and accept that it sometimes dies. I am not a racer but I have set my idle very low too and now and then the bike dies. That's the way I like it, but like you I could set it higher and it would never die.

Depending on the altitudes you ride it may be possible to run one carb set up all year. I ride between 600 and 3800 feet and use the same set up without problems, but I do not ride WOT for longer than a few seconds.
Me too.. I like a really low tick over at temp, in neutral. Sometimes this means the added drag from the clutch will be enough to flame it out without a bit of throttle here and there.. I dont tend to sit in gear going nowhere too often though. Just a balancing act between clutch throttle and brakes.. same as any other itme on the bike.