Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > Community Forums > Western United States

Western United States West of the Rocky Mountains

Old 04-30-2009, 03:31 PM

Default Snow line in the Okanogan

Any of you locals up near Kamloops, Kelowna or the like care to comment on where my brother and I should ride on the upcoming Maylong weekend? This will be our third year in a row. The first trip was to the Duffy lake area near Kamloops the next two years to Bear Creek.

Thanks

Old 04-30-2009, 03:47 PM

You should come to Vernon for the Night Pig and Big Rooster.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:02 PM

My brother, who flat out rip on anything he rides, gets all mental about racing. He refuses to be passed and is not willing to take the risks to not be passed. I have grown a taste for racing lately but truth be told my favorite days on a bike are tearing through the woods with a couple friends, esp. in BC.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:58 AM

Well, I just took a Friday afternoon ride from my house in Summerland into the local hills, and I saw no snow at the 1000M elevation. In fact, it's bone dry up there already! We've had a dry Winter and Spring.

And I'm sure you could go higher still and be snow-free.

FYI, there's a trials competition just outside of Summerland on the May 16/17 weekend. My brother and I plan to spectate, and then hit some of the local single track.

Dale
Old 05-02-2009, 11:30 AM

Kamloops and area is still boasting about 12-18" of snow at 4000 feet, ok for a GG, mabey a Husky, but I would stick to the low ground on anything else!! lol
Have some fun in the sun!
Old 05-03-2009, 12:19 AM

Dale, Currently the plan is to ride in Summerland. A guy from Thumpertalk has offered to show us around for a day. Any suggestions on where we should camp? SOmewhere near water and with access to riding would be great.

Paul
Old 05-03-2009, 08:39 AM

PEB,

Welcome to Summerland!

As for water and camping, I'll ask around. There's plenty of places to bush camp; just drive into the hills and call a patch of dirt home for a spell. If it's not Native land no one will bother you. Plenty of down/dried wood to burn (which also means to be careful of any fire you build). Unfortunately, water is always an issue. I can't think of any sources of water which I'd want to drink from. The issues are run-off and dirt/silt and cows. I don't think it's safe or worth the risk.

If you're going to bush camp it I'd suggust that you pack your own water.

I'd offer you and your buds my place, but I've got the whole famn damily coming here that weekend too.

In which areas in Summerland are you going to ride? The farther out of town you go, the better the trails. That being said, the farther out of town you go, the greater the gain in elevation and the risk of snow (still, a pretty low risk unless you want to go into the mountains).

Other popular networks in the area are in Peachland and Naramata (both within a 30 minute drive of Summerland).

Pray for rain the day before you arrive. Or bring lots of Filter Skins. And soften your front end in anticipation of the rocks; a good crop has grown over the winter.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:00 PM
Banned

Duffy will be all open May long.Cmon over.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:49 PM

Default trout creek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEB View Post
Dale, Currently the plan is to ride in Summerland. A guy from Thumpertalk has offered to show us around for a day. Any suggestions on where we should camp? SOmewhere near water and with access to riding would be great.

Paul
about 20 minits out of summerland is a place called trout creek it is on the old kettle valley line.it usualy low usage from there the possibilitys are endless
Old 05-08-2009, 09:05 PM

Funny you should mention that spot as that is exactly where our Guide has directed us to camp, I think it is going to be some premo riding. Of course I'll get some shots of the Gasser being flogged. How does it compare to Merrit? I ahve driven right through Merrit numerous times on my way to other riding ares and thought I bet I am passing some good stuff.