Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:46 PM

Default 2011 vs Ranger

I'm planning to get back on the bike after a 5 year hiatus. Former racer 40A-40B speed when I quit riding. I don't see myself racing again, but I would like to hit some trails at a moderate pace to maintain my sanity. A guy needs a stress reliever from time to time!

I'm looking at the new Ranger, but I'm not sure there is a big enough advantage over my 2011 xc250 kicker only with modified Marzocci forks and modified cylinder head. The 2011 is set up pretty well for HS and enduro racing. I'm short and prefer a shorter seat height for technical trail riding. Seat height is listed as the same for both bikes, 940mm. The electric start would be nice since I'm not worried about saving the extra weight any more, and my knees aren't getting any younger.

I haven't rode anything newer than 2011 so I don't know if there is a significant difference in vibrations, handling or anything that makes the newer bikes significantly better.

I realize the Ranger isn't available yet, but I would appreciate any relevant insight.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:13 PM

Your 2011 is a great bike, arguably the best year ever until 2018. The new generation GG is not even comparable to anything they made in the past. I imagine the ranger is going to be a trail riders delight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-05-2018, 07:36 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I doubt anyone here has ridden the Ranger yet. (Unless we have a magazine tester in our midst.) So it?s hard to say for sure. But if the ?18 Enduro bikes are any indication of what to expect from the coming line of GasGas machines I?d expect to be impressed with the Ranger. Since the motor is the same basic power plant as the current EC/XC with mods for torque I?d guess it will have nearly no vibrations off idle. Beyond that I can?t really give any insights. The specs do make it look like a perfect trail riding bike for non-racers though.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:08 AM

If you like the concept of the KTM Freeride or Beta Xtrainer, I would wait for the ranger. When I see the technical specs it looks like the ranger has the best suspension and components.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis74 View Post
If you like the concept of the KTM Freeride or Beta Xtrainer, I would wait for the ranger. When I see the technical specs it looks like the ranger has the best suspension and components.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
The Freeride should not be mentioned in the same breath as a ranger or a xtrainer. The freeride motor will not rev out forcing constant shifting and the bike is overly tall for it's very short wheelbase which makes the bike unstable to ride at any decent pace. I have ridden my friends freeride on the trail and I wouldn't trade my 8 year old gasser for a brand new freeride.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis74 View Post
When I see the technical specs it looks like the ranger has the best suspension and components.
Just out of interest why do you assume the Rangers suspension is best, which means its better than the suspension of the other GG models?

BTW I think we know each other from a German forum or its just by chance that soemone there has the same nick as you...
Old 08-06-2018, 04:34 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

You may want to consider a GG125 with a 144 big bore kit. It will save you 20 to 30lbs.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:18 PM

I'm with Elvis on the suspension. From what I've read it seems as though the suspension is somewhere in between an EC and an x-trainer. I expect it will be a more mild mannered EC with a step down in suspension, lower seat height and a pleasure to ride at a fast trail pace or slow race-pace unless modified.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman View Post
You may want to consider a GG125 with a 144 big bore kit. It will save you 20 to 30lbs.
There was a time when that sounded pretty appealing, but I don't want to use the clutch that much these days. I feel like a larger bore or 4 stroke is more versatile for the type of riding I want to do.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:27 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by singletracker View Post
There was a time when that sounded pretty appealing, but I don't want to use the clutch that much these days. I feel like a larger bore or 4 stroke is more versatile for the type of riding I want to do.
I fully agree with the 125 being more effort to ride, but I recently did a rebuild on a 2003 yz144 and I was very impressed with the amount of low end torque and midrange. It was night and day different from the base 125. If you get the chance you may like want to swing a leg over one and give it a try. My friend with the 1998 EC250 liked it so much he bought a 144 the next weekend.

I plan to do a 144 kit on my God daughters GG MC125 over the winter.