Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 09-03-2006, 07:50 PM

Default EC200 ignition ?

My local dealer has an '05 200de that has the wires leaving the case at the 10 o'clock position. From previous threads that included pics, I understand this to be the 2k-2 ignition. Has the ec200 ever come with the 2k-3 ignition? If it has, was the power that much smoother? I rode it and find it acceptable in the dry, but being an Oregonian, dry is a short-term condition, and rain is the norm. Terrain is hard clay that gets slick, with a lot of exposed roots and rocks. Will the bike be too hard to ride with this ignition? What about flywheel weights for the 2k-2, are the worthwhile? I currently ride a GG280 trialer and really enjoy the hookup, but 40 yr. old knees would like a seat.

BTW, dealer says NO other ignition is available; I trust him completely, but not sure if he has all the info. as the parts manual online ONLY shows the 2k-3! not the 2k-2; WTF is going on here?!

Thanks for any help, Mudskipper

Last edited by mudskipper; 09-03-2006 at 09:30 PM. Reason: more info. on parts

Old 09-05-2006, 08:19 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

The ec200 does come with a 2k-3 ignition - the DE200 comes with the 2k-2 ignition. Only de200s are being imported into the u.s. at this time - which accounts for your dealer stating that they are not available with the 2k-3 ignition.

You will want to go with a flywheel weight on the 2k-2 ignition for riding the terrain here in the wintertime (I live in Portland). One advantage of the lighter ignition is that you can configure the behaviour by swapping on and off different flywheel weights - for example, put on the flywheel weight for the riding the coast range and remove it to ride at China Hat in Bend.

The flywheel effect on various configurations are given in the article in the tech articles of the website - it is entitled "Flywheel effect". In addition to the flywheel weights listed - Steahly makes an 11 ounce flywheel weight for the gasgas. FYI - Glenn (GMP) is riding tight northeast woods and has used both the 2k-2 with flywheel and the EC ignition and currently prefers the 2k-2 + flywheel weight. You might want to ping Glenn for more detail.

jeff
Old 09-05-2006, 05:35 PM

mudskiper,

I have both ignitions. On the 2K-2 I have been running a 10 oz weight, but just switched to a 14 oz. This is exactly what I had on my '00 XC and seems best. In my case, our enduros vary a lot, from slick rocks too sand and tight pines. The 2K-3 felt a bit heavy when the traction was good on a 250, and I imagine even more so on a 200. I would try a weight in this range, and also the G2 throttle cam system. You get a lot more control off the bottom with this setup.

Also, if you have an '05, check the CDI for the map select wires. Perhaps you have them and they are disconnected (aggressive map). If so add a switch. If you don't have them, you can also try retarding the static timing a bit to soften up the low/mid (and gain top).

Since your a trials rider, you know all about trials tires. On a woods bike they work great as well. The added traction gives the bike a feel of having more flywheel, as is spins less.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:38 PM

Jeff, thank you so much for this information! I did not realize that the "DE" is a different model classification, I thought it was a "modifier" to the "EC". I also did not know that you cannot get the "EC 200" in the states.
You hit the nail on head for riding areas and ideas, as those are my main areas to trail ride/race. The stealthy weight sounds like the way to go for winter muck rides , and I like the versatility of the lighter rotor for dez and light moto rides.
Could it be the perfect bike exists? Will I finally stop trading out every 10 months thinking the next one has to be better? It better be this one, or the wife is going to kill me in my sleep! (hehe, jk)

Glenn, thanks to you as well for confirming this info., and giving some ideas on weight amounts. As they are fairly inexpensive, flywheel weights seem like the perfect way to tune the power delivery, as the bike has more than enough juice for me, std. I agree completly about trials tires, especially in the back, with one condition: you can't learn as far over when cornering or you risk coming off the edge of the tire. The more straight up and down the tire, the better the grip; that's why trials guys are always all over the bike, trying to keep that contact patch as big as possible.

Mudskipper

Last edited by mudskipper; 09-05-2006 at 05:47 PM. Reason: further replys
Old 09-05-2006, 08:38 PM

The Mitas is a better trials tire for a woods bike, as its a little stiffer and has a rounder profile. Also holds up very well. I've been running the various brands for a few years now and agree 100%, its a technical terrain tire. There are very few places on my local trails where I can lean a bike over in a fast turn, everything is studded with rocks and roots. For rides/races with good dirt/sand, I have a spare wheel with a fresh knobby.