Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Injury & Recovery

Injury & Recovery Injuries, Health Issues, Vision & Body Repair

Old 01-09-2009, 09:59 PM

Default Carpal Tunnel Release Surgery

Well guys after a very frustrating 2 years with a very numb right hand 3 minutes into riding every time, I finally went to the doctor and it was found out that I have Carpal Tunnel. Dr. Mark Sanders the same doc that just repaired our very own GMP will be doing both of my hands this Wednesday. I am very lucky that his office is only 2 miles away from my job. And the hospital in which he is doing the surgery is only 8 miles from my house.

This doctor really cares about his patients and will keep you rolling with laughter days after you have seen him. Right Glenn?

Have any of you had this surgery before and what kind of time frame did it take you to get back on the bike & compete? He is doing the Endoscopic (SP) surgery and says I will be back on the bike in 3 weeks. My first race is scheduled for February 22. This is a national enduro and gasgasman & myself are going to it.

Thanks,
Robby

Old 01-09-2009, 11:58 PM

If you haven't seen this it's a good read. 3 part article. Sorry it's from an orange dealer but this guy writes some good articles.

http://www.ktmworld.com/ktm_news_articles.asp
Old 01-10-2009, 01:58 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Good luck on the surgery.
Let use know how it turns out. I have been putting up with CTS in my right hand for a couple years now also and was thinking about getting it done this summer.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:59 AM

Skidad thanks for the link. Mine is so bad that when I get on the bike to trail ride 3 minutes later my hand is completely numb and stays that way for a few days. Ask gasgasman! I get very pissed off because it is slowing me down and hurt's like a mother!!!!

That guy had the old school surgery. The doc says he might not even put stitches in. I have talked to several friends that ride and all of them say their hands only go numb when they give the bars a death grip. But as soon as they shake their hands out they are fine for the rest of the race/ride.

Like I said mine staynumb the whole race/ride and even 3 days or more after the ride.

I really noticed CTS over the new year holiday. I rode on Wednesday really easy pulling down arrows from our last enduro. Then on Thursday I tried to ride and my hands were in a lot of pain. The right one is the worst but the left does go numb just not as bad. At first the doc was only going to do the right hand. After talking to him weboth decided to do both at one time to save me a trip to the hospital & some $$$$$.

Dr. Mark is truly a great doc. He answers e-mails, PM's, phone calls 24/7 plus his specialty is MX injuries.

http://www.sandersclinic.net/

Robby
Old 01-10-2009, 07:21 AM

Man Boomer tha't about the worst case I've ever heard of. Really hoping the surgery turns out great for you and yes Dr. Mark is awesome. I've followed him over on the other site and if I really need something done right I know where I'm headed. The surgery sounds cool and 3 weeks back on the bike, wow. Snap some pics of the procedure Keep us posted.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:54 AM

All the best Boom. I hope it works and your recovery is quick!
Old 01-10-2009, 08:52 AM

I am going to try to get my wife to come into the OR with me and snap photo's. Not sure if she has the stomach for it though.

Thanks Guys!

Boomer
Old 01-10-2009, 09:54 AM

Thumbs up

Good luck buddy, I'll call you Wendsdsay night or Thursday to see how things went.

Dr. Marks assistant in the clinic, Robert, has done some videos in the OR and in the clinic. There is a video of a clavicle fix with bone graft on his site and a link to it on TT (its quite graphic, I understand why the leg hurt ). He was going to shoot a video of me doing the PT the day after but it was getting late so I declined. Anyway, maybe he can make you a star in the OR!

Yeah, the doc is a real character, some real shock humor there. I immediately identify as I'm a wise a$$ NY/NJ guy myself. Great skills, and also the smarts to market them. He's not the typical ortho surgeon that has a waiting room full of seniors for hip replacements, he is a true sports trauma guy that understands his patients needs, and, if you don't need work he will tell you that too. Also, like Robby said, the guy will talk to you 24/7 on his personal cell, try that with another doc! Its eaiser to get in touch with him than with my wife on a typical day!
Old 01-13-2009, 09:48 AM

Here is the step by step of the procedure. My wife sent this to me today. I think she is a little more sick in the head than I am!

http://www.wheelessonline.com/ortho/...nnel_release_1
Old 01-13-2009, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

Robby,

What was the cause for your CTS? I can't imagine the numbness and duration that you experience, wow!

Good luck with the surgery and recovery.