Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 12-24-2013, 04:38 AM

Default help with 2013 gg 300

Hi everyone,

had a 2013 300 from new, loving the bike.

A few problems and wonder if any tips.

1. E-Start. I've had problems from day 1 with this. It's hit and miss if it will start or not, seems to be trying to catch but then just spins up.

Now the green starter button has given up. I've stripped and sprayed wd40 etc seems a little better but sometimes it just wont do anything when pressed then sometimes if I press it from a different angle it starts!! I've only had the bike 6 months so shouldn't really need replacing?

I've had the starter off, and greased etc so it's all clean in there.

2. Water. This thing hates deep water. It seems when I enter deep water, no matter if I keep the revs high the bike just dies and bogs a bit. It's then hard to start. I notice the air filter gets very wet and dirty.

Should I be re-routing the breather hoses that are hanging below the bike.

Also anyone know of a wet weather cover to put on top of the air filter? I used to have ktm and they did a powerparts cover for wet weather riding.

I was thinking of taking off the e-start completely after the last 2 rides when it stopped working and I was kicking but would rather have it for those times I'm stuck on a hill or cant get my little legs in a good position to kick

Any help/tips welcome.

cheers

Old 12-24-2013, 04:53 AM
Super Moderator

There's a good thread on the starter getting around. Has the few things needed to get them working well. Much like ktm 2 strokes the starter is an after thought and not very well designed. I have 2 x kick only models, one being a 2013 R, the other a 2010 Euro model. I don't need to button it.

As for the water crossings, I haven't had the 2013 out yet to see how much crap gets in the airbox. I'm a bit worried as the LHS side cover seems to have that big window in it to let water in, and I figure the faster you hit the more it'll push the water in. I've filled the gaps in the bottom of the airbox with some sikaflex and opened up the drain/duckbill some more.

The two tubes on the carb that loop up and over again are the breathers. You'll want to reroute these up to the airbox or it'll be sure to konk out every time they go under water for more than a few seconds.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:06 AM

Thanks jakobi. Can't find that starter thread anywhere

Will keep searching. Although when it doesn't get wet it starts pretty easily on the kick so might just take it off and have one less thing to worry about

Yes sensible tips re air box. It does get a bit of dirt in there. My filter always seems covered after a ride.
In the UK so it's always wet and muddy.
I'll get some silicone to block them. Also will get breathers rerouted.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Old 12-24-2013, 05:25 AM

I'm in the UK, my 13 is good in water I just duct taped the airbox up inside no probs now. Not sure on the starter as mines a kick only but my mate has a 12 with 300ish hours on no starter probs so they are good not like a shitty KTM!!!!!
Old 12-24-2013, 05:27 AM
Super Moderator

I'm in the tropics. Seems either mud or dust.. The dust makes a much worse mess of the filters than the mud. My 2010 models been solid as with over 10,000kms on her since new now. They take a bit of time setting up (as do most bikes), but will reward you well once dialled in.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:50 AM

Great. Will seal up the air box and re-route the hoses before the next outing , that should sort the water issues
will keep Searching For help with the starter and see at the moment the starter Is worse than the KTM and Ive had a Few . Its a good job the bike is better though

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Old 12-24-2013, 09:52 AM
Site Sponsor

If you go to general forums list and look under the enduro technical forums you will see Electrical & Wiring. About the 12th thread down you will see "Starter only engages 1/3rd of the time". You should find some good info in here.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:36 PM

That switch assembly is rubbish.
I use a quality kill switch for my starter button...works perfect.
The starter on mine works 99% of the time since I added a couple more gaskets to the cover to space it out a little. Just a process till you see what makes the starter happy.
I removed the heavy grease and replaced with a lighter waterproof grease, seems happier now.
Can't comment on your air box issues, mine is a 2011 and has worked well.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:08 PM

Wish some one told me to take that bit of rubber out of the drain hole on my 2013, had to give my bike CPR twice so ended up taking the rubber out and sealing up the box with that blue gasket maker which is a very easy job to do as its easy to work with, did not seal the drain hole up,at the same time I sealed up around the back fender as if you look you will see a lot of day light. I only give my air filter a very light spray of oil now in the hope the bike can breathe!
Old 12-24-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosco View Post
If you go to general forums list and look under the enduro technical forums you will see Electrical & Wiring. About the 12th thread down you will see "Starter only engages 1/3rd of the time". You should find some good info in here.
Cracking, thanks for that, just had a read and will try a few gaskets for the moment.

cheers