Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Off Road Racer's Corner

Off Road Racer's Corner ISDE, Enduro, Hare Scrambles, etc.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:19 PM

Default KTM and Husqvarna leaving Enduro World Championsip?

Finnish offroad magazine Offroadpro claims on their website that according to yet unconfirmed rumours KTM and Husqvarna plan to withdraw from the Enduro World Championship on the factory team level after this season.

http://www.offroadpro.fi/uutinen/ktm...is-mm-sarjasta (in Finnish).

If this proves to be true (remember, this is yet unconfirmed!) it certainly affects GasGas a lot. Positively, I hope.

In fact there is already a sign which may confirm these news - enduro legend Giovanni Sala signed as the new manager of the GasGas Enduro Factory Team.

http://gasgas.com/en/news/772-giovan...eam-manag.html

Giovanni Sala has been closely related to KTM his whole career and this sort of career switch is unexpected to say the least.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giovanni_Sala

Last edited by MargusV; 10-12-2017 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Typo

Old 10-12-2017, 05:02 PM

Wow, if this true ?
Old 10-12-2017, 05:21 PM

I wont be the least bit surprised if this is true. KTM has been threatening this for a few years and is the reason that the E3 class was dropped last year.

KTM will still be in the EWC. Just as privately run teams.

I honestly think that EWC is doomed. The events are too costly to run and ROI is brutal. After being involved in 2 World rounds back in 06/07 I can tell you they arent money makers.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyR View Post
I wont be the least bit surprised if this is true. KTM has been threatening this for a few years and is the reason that the E3 class was dropped last year.

KTM will still be in the EWC. Just as privately run teams.

I honestly think that EWC is doomed. The events are too costly to run and ROI is brutal. After being involved in 2 World rounds back in 06/07 I can tell you they arent money makers.
KTM Factory Racing and Farioli Racing Team are essentially the same. So... of course KTM will be around, but number of paid riders will decrease drastically.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:17 PM

From what I have been told, KTM is redirecting the EWC money to the Rally program.

IMO, the whole "Extreme/Hard Enduro" thing is where the spectators and sponsors are going. I bet EWC is gone in 3 years. There are only 50 riders entered in most rounds and no amateurs are allowed to ride. Not a good strategy to attract riders.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
From what I have been told, KTM is redirecting the EWC money to the Rally program.

IMO, the whole "Extreme/Hard Enduro" thing is where the spectators and sponsors are going. I bet EWC is gone in 3 years. There are only 50 riders entered in most rounds and no amateurs are allowed to ride. Not a good strategy to attract riders.
As long as they have 50 of the world's best riders competing they should still be able to manage to run it. 50 riders isn't that much less than the road racing equivalent MotoGP or even the WRC car rallys.

The changes that happened with this years competition caused a lot of riders from last year to drop out so if KTM withdraw maybe they can get back to the same format that they used last year with the 3 classes instead of 2.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
There are only 50 riders entered in most rounds and no amateurs are allowed to ride. Not a good strategy to attract riders.
Amateurs? My understanding is that EWC has only around 10 people actually being paid for riding motorcycles so almost everyone there is in fact an amateur.
The problem is that EWC aims to be a worldwide series with several overseas rounds. This automatically rises costs to the level which is not bearable to privateers. Riding at the top level is damn expensive with all costs related to machinery, travel, training, mechanics, suspension etc. But this actually the only way to really develop machinery - to race, to get the feedback, to improve, endlessly. That's the reason why factories need to be involved in top level racing - all the PR and promotional value is just a side effect.
So racing teams are THE place where all the know-how about winning techniques accumulates. That's the reason why GasGas wants to run its own racing team instead of just sponsoring some private effort. Same applies to Sherco, Beta, TM and other small boutique brands. They do not WANT to race, they NEED it. If KTM decides that they now do not need it it is a very worrying sign about the future of our sport.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:17 AM

Thare is a very good interview with chairman of the enduro commission (CEN) at FIM on the website of the french magazine Motoverte.

http://www.motoverte.com/enduro-mond...-a-ktm/3903544

Google translation of the interview:

Jean-Guillaume Meiller is chairman of the enduro committee within the International Motorcycling Federation (FIM). So in the front row about KTM's decision to halt the world enduro at the end of the season if some changes were not made quickly to the EGP. He kindly answered our questions.

Last week it was revealed that KTM was planning to retire from the EnduroGP if some things were not implemented quickly by the International Motorcycling Federation. After a reaction of the promoter of the EGP, Alain Blanchard , we deliver here an interview with "Monsieur Enduro" in the FIM, Jean-Guillaume Meiller.

Moto Verte: KTM announces its intention to retire at the end of the world enduro season. You do not have enough access to their requests, right?

Jean-Guillaume Meiller
: "No, maybe that's what they want to believe. There may be other supporters at home who are unknown. KTM has invested heavily in motocross and then in MotoGP, so they may have to cut their budget elsewhere. They also ask us for many images. Spectacular races, which is not the enduro. I summarize: they want Red Bull races! They have been partners for many years. We on our side want to stay on enduro bases. But for two years they have been listened to, since they are contractors, a brand that brings a lot of money into the enduro. EGP and E2 were done to meet their needs. We did a winter run, as well as a GNCC. Without going to the extreme as they wished. Neither of the superenduro. "

And today it seems not enough. Is it a form of pressure on the part of KTM that still talks about delay?

"Yes, there is certainly some form of pressure somewhere. We are not really surprised, it's been three weeks that we knew what was going on. We had an informal meeting at Hawkstone Park at the GP of England with all the builders and the people at KTM present signed the paper that presented the new proposals that were made with the promoter of the EGP. So we are a bit in the dark, if they really want to leave or not. "

Let it be clear, do you confirm that the FIM wants to keep a regulation that remains close to the enduro spirit that has lasted for decades?

" Yes. We may be old dinosaurs but there are bases for enduro that must remain the same. We want to keep this type of events and why not add new ones as we did this year with Pa?janee Lake, cross country in England and next year a semi-extreme like The Wall in Italy. But we do not want to go as far as integrating Romaniacs or Le Touquet into the world. We would end up with 10 drivers and we do not want them. We, the enduro commission, do not want it. "

We can see that over the past two years and all the changes already made to the world, attendance has dropped, there are fewer pilots. Do you feel that you have made progress or regressed to want to change the enduro?

"No, we have to be honest, we have not progressed since we have fewer pilots. That's why we said last year that we would go back if it did not work with both categories. And that's what we're gonna do! We listened to the industry and it does not work in what they want. It's complicated because they do not have the same points of view. Between Beta and KTM it's different. Japanese like Yamaha too. Yamaha does not have a two-stroke so they only want two categories. But Beta or TM oppose and understand them. You have to be able to listen to everyone and it is very complicated to satisfy everyone. Another phenomenon to note is that for 4 or 5 years the level of the top drivers has progressed a lot and behind it is hard to make a place. Some drivers prefer to stay home or go to the European Championship. So we thought of joining the European championship in the world championship. Just on the 4 events they organize. But with several guarantees: the European championship kept its categories, its rankings, its licenses and its engagements, they kept everything. We just wanted to join the 150 pilots of Europe to the 50 pilots of the world so that the organizer finds himself there. Make a more complete tray for the public too. But politically, for the moment we can not do it. FIM and FIM Europe do not want to follow up on our request. "

KTM leaves you a few days before announcing its final decision. How will you react according to their decision?

"Whether KTM is here or not, we have to move on. We will await their reaction following the proposals made to them in England. Anyway they told us they would come enduro anyway. Not on all the events but on some ... On our side it was specified that we would put jokers for the Juniors and the Youth so that they are not obliged to do certain tests remote or expensive like Finland which obliges to have tires nails for example. And then, as I said, we could go back to three categories plus the scratch ... "

As in 2016?

" Yes that's it. I think small builders need to have titles and listen to them. It could be a solution to find pilots. "

With or without KTM there will be an enduro world championship next year?

"There will be an enduro world championship next year. With or without KTM. The FIM can not be driven by a trademark. If KTM is as big today, it's partly thanks to enduro. We must not forget where we come from. "

Interview by Jean-Marie Pouget
Old 10-17-2017, 06:26 AM

I thing for KTM it is not only a money thing but a management shortage since they are involved with so many high level competitions around the world and they need to focus on every single aspect of any team to have success.
Brasil!
Old 10-17-2017, 06:31 AM

http://enduro21.com/index.php/enduro...gas-dream-team

Nambotin is back

1999 GG EC 250 Six Days
1999 Cagiva Gran Canyon
2001 Aprilia Falco
2001 Triumph Speed Triple for my 20 year old
2000 GG XC250 for my 20 year old
2003 Honda Rancher 350 for the wife