Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:06 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default Cramping

Thought I'd start a new thread spun off of the race prep for the rider.

My demon: Cramps. Seemingly after 4-5 hours depending on exertion level. I use Nuun sports drink, it's much healthier than Gatorade, and has better mineral mix without all the sugar. I use Cliff Shot gel packs, once per hour if possible, or at checkpoints. I'm adding in the canned oxygen because it seems to work, and it provides mental clarity if nothing else.

Stainlesscycle mentioned a product called out Salt Stick. I looked at the website. Looks like I need to get that dispenser if nothing else. I'm not above buying their tab either, though it doesn't seem any different than the Enduralytes by Hammer. I'm willing to try anything.

My issue is not any specific muscle either. It's not usually the major muscles. I work those frequently at the gym anyway, and ride my bicycle 18miles round trip to work every day. The cramps will come in the bottom of my foot, a finger, the top of my forearm occasionally.

OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs

Old 04-20-2010, 09:59 PM

Have you ever tried magnesium tablets?
They have a high does of the magnesium that your sports drink probably has, but much more concentrated, I take them at pit stops, taste like chalk but go down easily with some drink. Haven't had cramp since I started using them, neither has a mate who used to get cramp chronically after a few hours of riding.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:03 PM

Magnesium tablets sound like a good idea. I'll check them out. (along with pickle juice, more salt tablets, and breathing)
OMRA #21AA
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 04-20-2010, 11:53 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Yeh , sorry that is what I take Mag phos tablets , not salt tablets.
Magnesium phosphate.
They do taste like chalk don't they?
Cheers Mark
Old 04-21-2010, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wence View Post
Yeh , sorry that is what I take Mag phos tablets , not salt tablets.
Magnesium phosphate.
They do taste like chalk don't they?
Cheers Mark
Well, what I imagine chalk would taste like
Old 04-21-2010, 04:06 AM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostafish View Post
Stainlesscycle mentioned a product called out Salt Stick. I looked at the website. Looks like I need to get that dispenser if nothing else. I'm not above buying their tab either, though it doesn't seem any different than the Enduralytes by Hammer. I'm willing to try anything.
someone else mentioned it. i've never used salt stick...

cramping hasn't been an issue for me, but then again i'm only running 2 hr events...

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com

Last edited by stainlesscycle; 04-21-2010 at 05:29 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:16 AM

Cramping is a big issue for me last yr I started taking potassium and Mag. Worked well for me.Also drinking lots of fulids .
Old 04-21-2010, 06:27 AM

Here is a great article on muscle cramping. Not sure it will apply to your case but it's good. Get flexable!!!

http://www.mxconditioning.com/2009/05/muscle-cramping/

It was me who recommended the Salt Stick Caps. I have used the Hammer Endurolytes and for me anyway the Salt Stick Caps work better. I only use Hammer Heed energy drink in my Camelbak because it works and causes no stomach issues for me. If you sweat allot water alone wont cut it. BTW, each Salt Stick Cap has 11mg of magnesium. Take 1-2 max per hour of activity.

http://www.saltstick.com/

I'm no expert but at 4-5 hours you need to be fueling your body very different from 1-3 hours. Crazy stuff starts happening to your body. Might want to try the Hammer Perpeteum Extreme Endurance Fuel. Stuff is for prolonged endurance type events. Must be kept cold or it will go bad (some freeze it to last longer) but you can carry it as a powder and just mix it with some water during a break.

http://www.hammernutrition.com/produ...-energy-drinks
Old 04-21-2010, 06:27 PM

Very good article on cramping from mxconditioning.com. Thank you. I think in my case it's a matter of "all of the above." Since my cramp onset is usually 4-5 hours into my activity (mountain biking, half ironman triathlon, enduro, etc...) then I surely need glycogen, which I take care of with a single cliff shot once per hour. Electrolytes, covered, I use Nuun in my camelback. I drink lots of fluid as well. Too much at times, since I end up peeing!

The stretching is a fascinating theory. I buy it for sure, it was my first inclination. My brother in law is a chiropractor and he encouraged me to get flexible for these events. I began a stretching routine back then. I'm still quite flexible today. I will now dedicate more time to stretching.

Thank you very much for posting those links skidad!
OMRA #21AA
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 04-22-2010, 12:33 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobi View Post
Have you ever tried magnesium tablets?
They have a high does of the magnesium that your sports drink probably has, but much more concentrated, I take them at pit stops, taste like chalk but go down easily with some drink. Haven't had cramp since I started using them, neither has a mate who used to get cramp chronically after a few hours of riding.
Also get cramps on the inside thigh,the groin to knee muscle.When it happens it's really bad & bloody hard to stretch out.Do you take the mag. tablets pre-ride as well?