GasGas Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   GasGas Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-15-2010, 11:39 PM
Jakobi's Avatar
Jakobi Jakobi is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,981
Default New 2010 EC300 Engine Noise (falling revs)

Hi all,

Started up my bike today, warmed it up well, few runs around the yard and up and down the street, came back. Refuelled with freshly mixed 98RON and GRO at 50:1. Few more laps around the yard and I pulled up. Noticed a strange sound that happens both in gear and in neutral.

Rev the engine up and let off and it sounds like something vibrates quickly for a while as the revs drop. Idles fine. Revs up, they drop and the sound happens. Only audible on the fall.

Any idea what it could be? It sounds like its coming from the top end/expansion chamber.

Powervalve maybe? Ping?


Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 11-15-2010, 11:54 PM
swazi_matt swazi_matt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven
Posts: 2,108
Default

I have the same - sounds more like something is loose and vibrating, not so much as an engine noise - also interested to know where it is because it drives me nuts!
__________________
2003 txt250 Pro
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-15-2010, 11:59 PM
Jakobi's Avatar
Jakobi Jakobi is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,981
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazi_matt View Post
I have the same - sounds more like something is loose and vibrating, not so much as an engine noise - also interested to know where it is because it drives me nuts!
Mine only just started. It appears to not do it when its cold, and progressively get louder as it warms up. I don't like the sound of it and don't feel confident running the bike while its making the sound. To me it almost sounds like a scraping vibrating sound. Like when someone runs there nails on a black board, but much lower pitched.

I just read this, and wonder if that could be it. I do notice a small area where some spooage is where the pipe and the engine meet.
http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2058

I feel like I'm spending more time stressing and trying to get this bike right, than I am riding it. Sigh
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-16-2010, 12:02 AM
Jakobi's Avatar
Jakobi Jakobi is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,981
Default

Is it okay to reuse the O-rings for the pipe if I take it off? Or do I need new ones?

Meant to be riding in a few days and would like to get this resolved before then.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-16-2010, 12:44 AM
swazi_matt swazi_matt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven
Posts: 2,108
Default

i will also check that.

I have removed my headder a few times to fit sump guards and pipe protection, and doubt you will need to replace the o-rings, they will only be a few months old, but if you do need to make sure you replace them with viton o-rings (for high heat use)
__________________
2003 txt250 Pro
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-16-2010, 12:57 AM
Jakobi's Avatar
Jakobi Jakobi is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,981
Default

Thanks Matt.

The bike has all of 400km on the clock and is still under warranty. I haven't had the pipe off yet, but will do it tomorrow to see if I can re-seat it. The sound does sound like its coming from the head/pipe, and is at the revs when everything on the bike vibrates. (ie washers on the retaining pin for the footpegs, etc).

I orginally thought the worst when a new sound popped up.

Whats the easiest way to get the pipe off? Can it be done with the tank and seat on?

Hope this solves both our problems. I'll post back with results tomorrow.

Cheers, Jake
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-16-2010, 08:59 AM
GMP's Avatar
GMP GMP is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jefferson Twp., NJ
Posts: 7,597
Default

The stock high temp silicone orings are not very abrasion resistant and wear from normal vibration. This can allow the pipe to vibrate on the spigot or spigot bolt heads, and varies with engine speed and harmonics. This is especially true if the pipe gets tweaked a bit and does not sit square on the spigot. Viton orings last much longer. I also had a pipe spring that would vibrate on the header once, a small section of rubber hose over it cured it.
The pipe comes right off, two mounting bolts, springs and pull.

The PV rattles some from exhaust pulses as it returns to a closed position as there is free play in the system with the governer in its relaxed (idle or off) position. This is normal, not only on GGs. If rattle is excessive, remove the left PV cover and check that the actuator plate is in contact with the stop bolt head. If not, it could benefit from an adjustment to take up some play.

These bikes are tough, go ride!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-16-2010, 11:32 AM
Jakobi's Avatar
Jakobi Jakobi is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,981
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
The stock high temp silicone orings are not very abrasion resistant and wear from normal vibration. This can allow the pipe to vibrate on the spigot or spigot bolt heads, and varies with engine speed and harmonics. This is especially true if the pipe gets tweaked a bit and does not sit square on the spigot. Viton orings last much longer. I also had a pipe spring that would vibrate on the header once, a small section of rubber hose over it cured it.
The pipe comes right off, two mounting bolts, springs and pull.

The PV rattles some from exhaust pulses as it returns to a closed position as there is free play in the system with the governer in its relaxed (idle or off) position. This is normal, not only on GGs. If rattle is excessive, remove the left PV cover and check that the actuator plate is in contact with the stop bolt head. If not, it could benefit from an adjustment to take up some play.

These bikes are tough, go ride!
Thanks GMP.

Found another thread - http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/s...ht=pipe+rattle

Quite sure this is whats happening to mine. Does sound like something vibrating in the pipe and the sound changes as the bike heats up and the metal expands. I wouldn't imagine the PV would do this.

Like mentioned earlier I can see a little spooge coming from the exhaust port, where the pipe appears to be touching it. Will remove the pipe, clean it up, and re fit with the stock O-Rings and some high temp silicone.

Haven't tweaked the pipe on anything so unsure whats caused it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-16-2010, 12:12 PM
GMP's Avatar
GMP GMP is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jefferson Twp., NJ
Posts: 7,597
Default

You see spooge because the orings are shot. Silicone is very good for high temp but very poor for abrasion. When you remove the pipe you will see the orings worn flat. Replace with Viton and move on. Silicone RTV is OK for a temp fix, bet really its no big deal to just ride the bike as is until you get some Viton orings.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-16-2010, 01:34 PM
Jakobi's Avatar
Jakobi Jakobi is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,981
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
You see spooge because the orings are shot. Silicone is very good for high temp but very poor for abrasion. When you remove the pipe you will see the orings worn flat. Replace with Viton and move on. Silicone RTV is OK for a temp fix, bet really its no big deal to just ride the bike as is until you get some Viton orings.
Thanks again. I'd just like to isolate the sound and confirm it actually is the pipe vibrating before taking it out the following day for a 100+km ride.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EC300 engine noise fittal Enduro Engine - 2 stroke 6 11-03-2010 09:42 AM
Engine noise roostafish General Discussions & Announcements 11 11-24-2009 12:01 PM
EC300 Revs when cold-started stevethebrit Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke 6 07-10-2009 11:04 PM
Unidentified engine/gearbox noise PBWR450 Enduro Engine - 2 stroke 3 03-09-2009 09:04 PM
2002 ec 250 Engine noise thingymijig Enduro Engine - 2 stroke 5 02-22-2007 05:08 AM




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2009 - GasGasRider.org