Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:27 AM

Default Help a noob.

Hi there im new to the forum .
I've got an ec250 on a '98 plate. Not sure if that is the correct age for the bike but from what i've read about the plastics then it is around that age ( not got a seperate airbox cover).
Anyway, yesterday morning i went to start the bike to go work and got nothing. Thought it had fouled the plug so i changed it over (the bike likes fouling plugs any idea why?). Still got nothing so i pulled the plug back out and realised it wasn't sparking. I went back to bed then had a fiddle with it later on and found the live feed to the coil had come undone. So i plugged it back in and she fired up second kick. Job done or so i thought. As it was going dark i didn't put the tank and panels back on thought i'd do that today.
Put the tank back on this morning left the carb to fill up for a while, then tried to get it running before i put the panels on. But it wouldn't go, i whipped the plug back out and again had no spark. I cleaned the live feed join and reconnected it. Still no spark, so i took the switch gear apart made sure the kill switch wasn't contacting. Which it wasn't but i bent the tab out of the way just to make sure. Still got no spark.
Any body got any ideas on what it could be?
The bike was running sweet as a nut on Thursday when I used it. I've taken the coil off and put it on the radiator just incase it's damp.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:03 AM

Well i've had another tinker got it running left it running while i put the panels back on. Stopped it, gave it chance to cool. Then tried starting it and it wouldn't go think it's either a dodgy coil or the feed is dodgy. Anybody got a wiring diagram or know where the coil feed comes from so i can replace it?
Old 12-26-2010, 01:03 PM

Anybody? please. Just an idea of what could be wrong would be nice. Or a wiring diagram for a 98 plate.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:03 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Normally there are a heap of replies for this sort of thing mate but lately there are not as many . Must be the holiday season.
Anyway first thing for you to do would be to do a search on the forum here if you haven't already.
I would check the feed from the stator also and check the wiring for earth faults.Sounds like it runs until the bike is back together?
If it is like an 07, the wiring loom runs along the frame between the tank and frame itself.Check these wires and make sure they have not rubbed through.
Hope this gives you a starting point,
Mark
Old 12-26-2010, 04:57 PM

or this one
Old 12-27-2010, 04:37 AM

Thanks guys much appreciated. I think you could be right wence, seems funny that it runs with out the tank and panels on. I'll pull it apart again today and splice the loom covering open to see if there are any breaks in the loom.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:11 AM

It would appear it's the kill switch causing the problems, i had no spark again this morning. So i took the switches apart and bent the kill switch tab out and it sparked after i did this. I've whipped the carb out to give it a clean while i was at it. God what a bal ache is it to get out and then back in. Took me 10 minutes to get it out, just went to put it back in and can i hell get the carb back into the rubbers. Time for a brew and i pie me thinks.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:33 AM

To get the carb in and out I just stick a large screwsdriver in behind the frame , across in front of the airbox boot and lever it back.I then hook the screwdriver into the shock to hold it out of the way....easy.
Did it today and there is a little bit of wriggling involved to get the front of the carb out but pretty easy really, now I have it down pat.
Cheers Mark
Old 12-27-2010, 06:55 AM

ah now that is a good idea I was just trying to hold it back myself, i'll give it a try hooking it into the shock.
ta,
Mark
EDIT: that worked grand ta found my problem. fecking HT lead wasn't screwed in :@ took the coil off to measure it to order a new one and the ht lead fell off.

Last edited by Woll; 12-27-2010 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:45 PM

Good work mate, well done.
Cheers Mark