Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 03-30-2019, 04:09 PM

Default Which Coolant? Water Wetter OK?

Anyone ever use water wetter in their 2 stroke? If so any good? I am cleaning out my garage to move, and have plenty of water wetter left over from my old track bike (R6). We use it on tarmac since race tracks dont like coolant on the track when you crash...

If not I will just use the regular green stuff when I pull it apart to rebuild it, after we move of course! Where we are moving, freeze wont be a big concern. Cant wait to rebuild my 300!

Last edited by BLD; 03-30-2019 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Haha, mispelled water in title!

Old 03-30-2019, 10:42 PM

Yes, it works. I use Water Wetter, or Cool Ice, or any of those type products. They basically are a surfactant. They lower the surface tension of the coolant, much like soap lowers the surface tension of water. But without the bubbles of soap. So it makes the coolant have better contact with the metal and absorb heat better.

In my 470cid 550HP Trans Am, it makes a difference of almost 20* water temp over plain coolant..

So Ya, it helps. Use with no fear. But it's not a more is better thing. Go to the ratio of the bottle. Doesnt take a lot, and our bikes are low volume coolant levels
Old 03-31-2019, 12:31 AM

I used to run Liquid intelligence in my Tm which was good until it started to crystallise. I had seen this happen in multiple bikes so far. I?ll only use water based coolant from now on. I don?t need that stuff blocking up the cores of my radiators. And besides gassys don?t overheat! 🤘
Old 03-31-2019, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasser Nate View Post
I used to run Liquid intelligence in my Tm which was good until it started to crystallise. I had seen this happen in multiple bikes so far. I?ll only use water based coolant from now on. I don?t need that stuff blocking up the cores of my radiators. And besides gassys don?t overheat! 🤘
from what I just looked into LI, its a coolant replacement. The OP is asking about water wetter which is a additive. A surfactant. Will be like 2oz added to a bike or so. Not sure exactly on the ratio, but 8oz or so on a full car system. Ive run reliably in all my vehicles, even my 210HP 800cc 2 stroke snowmobile... Yes, 210HP.
Old 03-31-2019, 01:51 AM

Yeah Liquid intelligence is a replacement. Just offered my views on a similar product. I?d previously been impressed by the videos on it but after running the stuff for a few seasons and seeing the crap left in the radiator I like to warn others so they don?t get the same issues. Any coolant mixed with demineralised water will be fine.
Old 04-01-2019, 01:12 PM

Thanks. The Water Wetter I have is already mixed to spec with distilled water, and I have some extra concentrate if I need to mix more. Did not know about the bubbles, but it seemed like the water wetter didn?t degrade as quick as the antifreeze in my R6, and that bike was run hard on many 110 degree days!

I will be flushing the coolant system and replacing the hoses anyway when I rebuild, I will just use my WW then.

BTW, in 18 months of hard riding I have not gotten my GG to steam or boil over.
Old 04-03-2019, 04:48 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLD View Post
Anyone ever use water wetter in their 2 stroke? If so any good? I am cleaning out my garage to move, and have plenty of water wetter left over from my old track bike (R6). We use it on tarmac since race tracks dont like coolant on the track when you crash...

If not I will just use the regular green stuff when I pull it apart to rebuild it, after we move of course! Where we are moving, freeze wont be a big concern. Cant wait to rebuild my 300!
Ran water wetter in my Honda RS250 GP bike. Works great. Should be fine in these bikes
Old 04-03-2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
Ran water wetter in my Honda RS250 GP bike. Works great. Should be fine in these bikes
250 2Stroke GP bike???!!! What?s that like to ride? Always had a soft spot for the NSR500 but never had a chance to ride one. Seen a couple at different track days and they always looked like a ton of fun!
Old 04-04-2019, 02:06 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLD View Post
250 2Stroke GP bike???!!! What?s that like to ride? Always had a soft spot for the NSR500 but never had a chance to ride one. Seen a couple at different track days and they always looked like a ton of fun!
it was phenomenal. the bike weighed about 230lbs with fuel, made in the neighborhood of 100 hp rear wheel. Mine was radared at the end of the straight away at Pacific Raceway (here in the Seattle area) at 172 mph with my large a$$ on it. Corner speeds were unreal, front braking was one finger and so powerful that you could spin the tire on the front wheel. You had absolute feedback and feel at what it was doing all the time. Power delivery was so smooth, that you could dial in the setp out on the rear and throttle steer with the rear easily and without fear of getting tossed off the high side.

The track record for motorcycles (in 1997) was 1:28 and change, the 250's were doing 1:30 flat (giving up 20 mph to superbikes on the straight away)

Gearing changes were a 5-10 minute effort, by pulling out the cassette transmission and putting new gears on. Jetting both carbs took about 5 minutes each.

Mine had a RAM air set up on it. One of my friends that I knew got me a set of A kit cylinders for it. Back then, you could not buy those for any price, Honda gave them riders with the right pedigree. My friend was one of those riders and he passed them onto me. They looked identical, but hey were worth almost 10 mph top end, and needed 2 main jet sizes bigger to run them.

It was the most fun I ever had road racing. A purpose built race bike that performed like nothing else I have ever ridden/raced. Too bad they no longer make them, they were very inexpensive (relative) to four stroke road race bikes today. Maintenance was very easy to do and working on the bike was easy too. Honda had a great spares program, and the manuals they provided were the best I have ever seen for any motorcycle. It came complete with service intervals for every part on the bike. Such as pistons were good for 50 hours, rings, 25 hours, crank 200 hours, etc...
Old 04-04-2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
it was phenomenal. the bike weighed about 230lbs with fuel, made in the neighborhood of 100 hp rear wheel. Mine was radared at the end of the straight away at Pacific Raceway (here in the Seattle area) at 172 mph with my large a$$ on it. Corner speeds were unreal, front braking was one finger and so powerful that you could spin the tire on the front wheel. You had absolute feedback and feel at what it was doing all the time. Power delivery was so smooth, that you could dial in the setp out on the rear and throttle steer with the rear easily and without fear of getting tossed off the high side.

The track record for motorcycles (in 1997) was 1:28 and change, the 250's were doing 1:30 flat (giving up 20 mph to superbikes on the straight away)

Gearing changes were a 5-10 minute effort, by pulling out the cassette transmission and putting new gears on. Jetting both carbs took about 5 minutes each.

Mine had a RAM air set up on it. One of my friends that I knew got me a set of A kit cylinders for it. Back then, you could not buy those for any price, Honda gave them riders with the right pedigree. My friend was one of those riders and he passed them onto me. They looked identical, but hey were worth almost 10 mph top end, and needed 2 main jet sizes bigger to run them.

It was the most fun I ever had road racing. A purpose built race bike that performed like nothing else I have ever ridden/raced. Too bad they no longer make them, they were very inexpensive (relative) to four stroke road race bikes today. Maintenance was very easy to do and working on the bike was easy too. Honda had a great spares program, and the manuals they provided were the best I have ever seen for any motorcycle. It came complete with service intervals for every part on the bike. Such as pistons were good for 50 hours, rings, 25 hours, crank 200 hours, etc...
That sounds amazing! I?ve never heard anyone describe a 2stroke GP bike as being that smooth. You made my day with that description, and made all of my 600s sound like overweight, over priced, overly complicated pigs!