Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 01-10-2015, 06:09 PM

Default glowing exhaust pipe,FSE 450

Well, She's been fine as far as I know since the plug died. It's been very cold and I'd not started her for a week at least. So I go out there and it is a no go.

Spits, sluggish.....battery goes limp. So I let her sit a little while and jump her off with the Jeep. She fires right up. I let her idle a few minutes and notice the exhaust pipe is cherry red!!!!!! I shut her right off. Wait a few minutes and start her up and ride down the road....it's like 36 degrees. Within a 1/2 mile it's starting to glow. I head back in the drive and shut her off.

She seemed to be running fine.

Any suggestions would be very nice!
Ed

'05 450 FSE
'04 EC300
Street legal and tagged
Search for the wife's new bike has ended, lowered the 450 and 300....she's got a choice now! We're good!

Old 01-10-2015, 08:05 PM

Okay so red hot means running very lean. Check for air leaks around the boots of the fuel injection. It's an 05 FSE so that means it should have the yellow and blue wire for emissions control, try running with the wires in the opposite configuration (you're probably running on the lean map). I'm pretty sure you need to remove the cap on the end of the plug otherwise it'll work, yet it'll have a spark gap and can cause it to run weird.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:10 PM

Does your local fuel have a lot of ethanol in it? I had a similar problem with ethanol fuel going bad very quickly.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:52 PM

Thanks guys! Please keep in mind, the thing has ~5k miles on it and I got it new. It had just been on the showroom floor! I've had few issues....mostly it goes 1K miles on a plug!

The wires are disconnected as they always have been. I am not opposed to trying the other way but the bike has always been perfect as it is.

MF, Hmmmm on the plug tip....I did replace the "emergency "B" plug" but am pretty sure I did not remove the tip on the new OEM type. The coil appeared to fit well but I just went outside and found the plug that went south, right where I left it, in disgust, on the ground in front of the shop .....no tip on the end! Arrrgghhhhh.
I'll investigate this tomorrow fully! Thanks for the info!

Schlitzy, I am very lucky, I can get 93 octane ethanol free. I paid 3.19 today.
I test each batch to make sure it really is ethanol free. It is Gulf gasoline no less!

Thanks again fellas and please, any and all info, hints, suggestions or thoughts are most welcome!
Ed
edit.....Is it not possible it is running very rich and the extra fuel is causing the heat? Either way, it seems to run fine.....?

'05 450 FSE
'04 EC300
Street legal and tagged
Search for the wife's new bike has ended, lowered the 450 and 300....she's got a choice now! We're good!

Last edited by houndog; 01-10-2015 at 08:57 PM. Reason: extra thoughts....
Old 01-10-2015, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houndog View Post
Thanks guys! Please keep in mind, the thing has ~5k miles on it and I got it new. It had just been on the showroom floor! I've had few issues....mostly it goes 1K miles on a plug!

The wires are disconnected as they always have been. I am not opposed to trying the other way but the bike has always been perfect as it is.

MF, Hmmmm on the plug tip....I did replace the "emergency "B" plug" but am pretty sure I did not remove the tip on the new OEM type. The coil appeared to fit well but I just went outside and found the plug that went south, right where I left it, in disgust, on the ground in front of the shop .....no tip on the end! Arrrgghhhhh.
I'll investigate this tomorrow fully! Thanks for the info!

Schlitzy, I am very lucky, I can get 93 octane ethanol free. I paid 3.19 today.
I test each batch to make sure it really is ethanol free. It is Gulf gasoline no less!

Thanks again fellas and please, any and all info, hints, suggestions or thoughts are most welcome!
Ed
edit.....Is it not possible it is running very rich and the extra fuel is causing the heat? Either way, it seems to run fine.....?
Yeah I know what you mean about the fuel and your exhaust temperatures, logic would dictate that more fuel = hotter but in reality the leaner it's running the hotter it'll run. Timing also comes into play, and also how close you aret o running at peak egt. Basically lean = hot

If the plug end does not fix it make sure the black wire is still ground and the yellow is not (when yellow is ground the bike is in 'lean' mapping). Next I'd say try spraying a little bit of CRC or something around the intake boot see if the idle fluctuates, if so you have a leak. Also clean your Inlet Air Temp sensor in the air box above the filter that can cause issues if dirty.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:17 AM

MF, thanks again. I have, in the past, had considerable experience with carbs. Not so much with fuel injection. I could rebuild a Weber in my sleep.

I've built a couple engines in my kitchen! My Formula Ford motor turned 9200 RPM! It was push rod motor!!! It had dual Weber side drafts (DCOE 40's) with velocity stacks. I never expected that engine to go 50K It did not. it went 180K, was still strong when I sold it!..........and NEVER had an air cleaner on it! 0-60 in my Siesta was about 6 seconds.....this was in the late 80's.....pretty quick back then.

I mention it because the only time I have ever seen a pipe turn red was on that car and it was in fact due to float sticking and it was dumping fuel into the intake.

I'm with you, it does "seem" lean ........I'll look for a leak but I'm pretty sure that is not the case. I also will check out the temp sensor and that plug tip.

I know the map wires are not hooked but I'll hook them and see what happens.

Thanks again, and please, all suggestions are welcome!
Ed

'05 450 FSE
'04 EC300
Street legal and tagged
Old 01-11-2015, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

In my experience, a rich condition will cause the exhaust to glow red. This is from the excessive fuel burning in the exhaust.
A misfiring will definitely cause a rich condition.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:06 PM

Well, the plug requires the tip. Nothing has changed in the map wiring. Air filter looks good.....at this point I conclude I am screwed. After 3 min. putting and "gittin' it" around the yard the pipe is cherry red. She seems to run normally.......

Any and everything is appreciated in the way of suggestions and help!
Ed

'05 450 FSE
'04 EC300
Street legal and tagged
Old 01-11-2015, 07:02 PM

It really sounds lean. If it was rich enough to make the pipe glow it wouldn't run very good. A lean condition and they will run good! Since it is FI I would check for air leaked in any of the boots from the throttle body forward. Also check the mass air sensor. Unplug it while the bike is running and see what it does. I had a Yamaha raptor that had a bad o-ring on the fuel injector and it ran lean and made the head pipes glow bright red. Also pull the plug and have a look. Is it white (lean) or is it black (rich)? Is it possible the muffler is plugged up with something (mouse nest, rag, etc)? Also I had an old cr125 that would just die and then fire right back up like you experienced, ended up being the CDI. I don't know much about gasgas 4T's but are the EFI and ignition controlled by the same unit? Could it be that is going bad?
I know my post is kind of random but just trying to throw out some ideas and food for thought.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2015, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah. If the plug tip is melting, the engine is detonating really bad.

I don't think there's a MAD sensor on the bike. It would compensate for the vacuum leaks.