Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:41 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default What's it worth? 2002 XC300

As some of you know, I am weighing my options of selling or upgrading my 2002 XC300. If I decide to sell it, a coworker is very interested in the bike. Knowing that I want to maximize my recovery from rebuilding the bike, yet still maintain a relationship with this coworker, how much should I ask for the bike? here are the details-
  • Scratched black bodywork
  • Brand new red bodywork
  • All new suspension bearings and bushings (with GMP's o-ring recommendation)
  • All new wheel bearings
  • DID U-rims with good Michelin tires and UHD tubes
  • Extra set of WP 43 forks
  • 40 hours on complete rebuild (cylinder strip and replate with Wossner "A" size piston, RB Designs rebuilt crank, all new bearings inside)
  • RB Designs squish
  • JD Jet kit (red needle installed)
  • New sprockets and decent (20 hours) chain
  • BRP (?) chain guide (plus OEM if he's desperate)
  • Tall seat
  • Moose rad guards
  • Stock and desert tank
  • New-ish (and straight!) Protaper SE handlebars
  • Barkbusters
  • Street legal title

I am thinking that $2500 might be a bit high, but the engine is so completely fresh, plus all of the new bearings that I saved the next owner a ton of time and effort (plus the parts) to bring it up to new spec. I know that I *should* keep it and ride it, but there are some decent bikes out there for reasonable amounts and of course, as I was told, "Nostalgia is for cars, not things you want to go fast on."

What say you? Reasonable asking price? I'll have pics later this week as I get it reassembled. Here is last week-

Yesterday-

Old 06-01-2013, 11:12 AM

It's hard to say without looking at it assembled. But here in Wa. State the street legal title will bring extra. Three years ago I paid 2200 for a '03 ec250 that was in premo shape and street titled, and a whole lot of extra goodies. A year and a half ago I paid 1600 for a '05 de300 with street title, but not as in pristine shape as yours is. She should be gone thru like yours and make her new again. And in my opinion worth it.
If I did all that work on my bike I would have a hard time parting with her for 2500. I would be adding a smartcarb or lectron and enhancing her more. Money ahead and knowing U have a new bike again.
'01 XR440
'09 FZ1
Old 06-01-2013, 01:05 PM

I maintain my bike well and I'm confident that it's in shape to tackle any enduro or turkey run. Admittedly, it's nowhere near as sano as yours.
That said, at the end of the day it's still an '03 that's been to hell and back many times over the past 9 years. I wouldn't expect to get much more than $1k for my bike. Especially when guys are having a hard time getting $5K for a really nice 2012.
Just my $.02 (you asked )

P.S., I've been looking at some great deals on 2010-2012. What always creeps into my thoughts is what kind of shape the bottom end is in. I haven't read much on here about failures in that dept. but if the bike was raced by an A or AA, even for just 1 season, you gotta wonder what kind of abuse it's seen and there's really no way to check.
I have no idea what kind of shape my '03's bottom end is in. I change the oil often and hope for the best. I certainly have made a few "hard" shifts over the past 9 years and I'm just a middle-of-the-pack B rider so my throttle rarely goes past 1/2. I've never seen a tooth or large chunk of metal on the magnetic drain plug. If a seller had one/some, would he disclose that info. ?
I'm just throwing out what type of things go through a used bike buyer's head.

Last edited by Brian VT; 06-01-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:12 PM

Thats why you try to buy from someone you know, or know has a good reputation. That said, if you have a mechanic friend with an inspection camera try to borrow it. Give the bike a colonosopy before loading it up! Fortunately the GG motor os well up to the task of working hard for a long time. Take one apart and you'll see why, and where the extra weight is. Its like old Soviet block style mfg. There is a plus side to everything in addition to the gripes.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Thats why you try to buy from someone you know, or know has a good reputation.\
I'm still working on it.
I wish you the best in selling yours, but at the same time I'm hoping it doesn't sell before I come up with the $.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:14 PM

Thumbs up

I would buy one of Glens bikes in a heartbeat. That '07 had me seriously thinking, but I need to let one or two go to justify.
'01 XR440
'09 FZ1
Old 06-09-2013, 06:28 AM

I sold my 2002 300EC last fall for $1700. It was in good mechanical condition and fair cosmetic condition.

I sold it with Fastway pegs and CF pipe guard and it did not have a side stand.

Hope that helps. I'm in Phoenix