Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:10 AM

Default New GASGAS owner - some opinions/help.

Hi all,
After years of fighting my KTM 200 - Age/ability and the desire to have a lower easier ride saw me purchase a EC200 Hobby - No laugthing..
Raced it last weekend and came away grinning from ear to ear and faster than my KTM (with me on it)
Ok - I do not want to ruin its qualities of height - dealing with roots - turning. but There are some things I could try to improve.

Front brake - not brill but biggest problem is the lever span. any idea what lever families fit this bike - assume its not same as ec200.
Gearing - im in 12/48 seemed gappy between gears until on song and needed 1st a lot.
suspension - anyone changed oil weights etc. or run max preload on rear.
Its got a tacho on it which dosent make any sense - on setup comes up with a rxxxxx figure to alter -any ideas?
I still love it - the engine was so sweet.
Thanks all

Old 09-09-2009, 07:19 AM

It would likely help if you posted your model year and other information (what forks it has, your info) if you are looking for suspension help.

For gearing I run 13/50 on my 250, been thinking about 14/51.

2003 EC250 w/ Ohlins pkg
Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:36 AM

Hi,
Im in the UK - Not sure they made this model elswhere - I am very new to GasGas, always been Orange through and through.

Its a 2007 year - but think the Hobby has always been the same - definetly has the older grey frame not newer black version.
Suspension is lowered all round (standard from factory) Marzochi 45mm shivers - With NO adjustments. Rear is Sachs with NO adjustment except preload. Brakes are not nissin - Think have read may be AJP.
Not expecting to make a full EC - didnt want the height. Just trying to make the best compromise of the qualities it has.
A dog leg brake lever is definetly first on the agenda.
Havent check jetting yet - or even if its restricted in any way - previous owner was a lady who only used it on the road (400 miles). Sounds like my gearing should be ok. But after the manic KTM it seems high.
cheers
Old 09-09-2009, 02:31 PM

oops its 2008 - not that I think it makes a difference
Old 09-09-2009, 02:44 PM
Site Sponsor

chuz

I don't think that the hobby even made it to the states but I'm almost certain that you probably got a non o-ring chain, lighter hubs and most likely lighter spokes as well. It would be nice to know what style hubs, spokes and chain the hobby as well.

As far as the gearing goes the 200 seems to be the most happiest with the stock 12/48 gearing. Most people upgrade to 13 / 51 gearing when its time to replace them as the 12 tooth front sprocket wears out fast.

good luck

I've attended 21 Six Days as a working Photojournalist
Old 09-09-2009, 03:41 PM

Hi, Definetly got a non oring chain. Havent compared the hubs/spokes to a regular ec yet.

cheers