Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:18 AM

Default NEDW - where can I get me one?

As i read so many good things about this needle, I would want to try it on my 2013 125.
I'm trying to look for it online, but I can't find it on eBay nor in any European shop.
I can only find it in US shops which would not ship to Israel (or charge 40$ for shipping an needle).

Can anyone direct me to a site where I can get it from?

Thanks!

Old 07-09-2015, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doutsh View Post
As i read so many good things about this needle, I would want to try it on my 2013 125.
I'm trying to look for it online, but I can't find it on eBay nor in any European shop.
I can only find it in US shops which would not ship to Israel (or charge 40$ for shipping an needle).

Can anyone direct me to a site where I can get it from?

Thanks!
Any shop that sells a motorcycle or PWC with a Keihin carb should be able to get one (Suzuki, Yamaha for example).
Old 07-09-2015, 03:58 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I think you would be wasting your time and money on that needle for a 125.
What's the stock jetting?
Old 07-12-2015, 02:35 AM

I think the stock jetting (from the parts manual) is:
35 pilot
175 main
needle N1EF

I got it much richer, with:
42 pilot
182 main.

It was very not smooth, specially at the low part, so I tuned it and now i'm on:
40 pilot
175 main
needle on second position from top

now it's much better, much smoother. When I open the throttle from shut I still get "bubbling" at the very start of the opening, espcially under no load (down hill for example).

Just wanted to try the NEDW to see how it feels, but if you say it won't help I won't.

Oh, Most of the time I'm riding around 0-200m (0-650feet) and now in the summer it's around 30+ Celsius (86F).

Thanks!
Old 07-12-2015, 11:43 AM

I'm not a jetting guy so I don't know whether or not a NEDW needle will work as well in a 125 but I do know 2 things: 1st GasGas supplied that same N1EF needle in my 250 that I bought new (same one they recommend for your 125) and 2nd I Like my NEDW needle much better. If GasGas puts the N1EF needle in both the 125 and the 250 it stands to reason that a replacement needle that works well in the250 may very well work in the 125 but all jetting is personal so it depends on the power delivery you are looking for. In my 250 I've tried a lot of needles but none ran cleaner, stronger, or more controllable than the NEDW from idle to 1/4 throttle. Since I love slow, technical riding that's perfect for me. There is a trade off however, mid range is noticeably weaker and top end while reving out quick and strong may sign off a little quicker resulting in a lower top speed.
Old 07-12-2015, 05:03 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I'm afraid there's not much real world info here for the 125.
Someone out there must know what jetting makes the 125 sing.
I would love to get a chance to try their 125 and dial it in.
Seems GG likes that N1EF needle, they put in most everything.
You might find that the NEDW needle will work ok.
I tested a lot of different needles on my 200 and came full circle back to the stock NOZH needle and went with a leaner slide to clean up the off idle stumble.

You should be able to order the needle from any Suzuki dealer
#13383-37FLOW needle jet it's an optional needle from a 07 RM 250
Old 07-12-2015, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

Isn't the EC125 similar to a YZ? I'm sure I've read that somewhere, in which case I'd be looking down that path. I'd probably look at the Yamaha or Suzuki 125 OEM jetting before looking at their 250 range (NEDW/NECW/N3Exx), etc. The fuel requirements between a small and large engine vary considerably as do the volumes of air they pull through the carb.

I'd expect the NE series to be way too lean for a small engine.

PS. I don't know which carbs come fitted to the above bikes, but you'll want to find one that's using a similar sized PWK/PWM Keihin for your ballpark. Might even be worth while seeing which needles ktm use in their 125 (checked NOZx range).
Old 07-14-2015, 03:52 AM

I have an 07'Honda cr125 that I have converted over to a 38mm Keihin pwk, from the 38mm Mikuni that was the oem carb on the bike. I tried a bunch of needles and jetting combos trying to dial the bike in. The Suzuki needles worked just as you would think by smoothing the power out, but it made the bike feel really slow. They also had an off idle hesitation that I could never tune out. This was using an NECF,NEDF,NECG,NEDG,NEDH needles. I also tried using the Yamaha/KTM N3EG and N3EH needles. They were better as far as making the bike feel like a 125, but again, has an off idle hesitation the I could not get rid of. I also tried he Kawasaki N3xx series N3YF and N3WG,
N3YH needles. The N3YF was actually really good, but still has a slight hesitation. I finally wound up with a Honda 685/294, 45, 178 jetting setup that was very good with no off idle hesitation. This is with a #6 slide. I have found that the slide plays a major roll in the over jetting setup on these 125 engines. They do not like the leaner slide setups like the 250/300's do. Unfortunately Honda has stopped selling that needle. I have also useda single taper CCL in the #4 clip with a 50 pilot and 185 main jet with a #7 slide. This was also a good clean setup that I have used to race hare scrambles with .
Old 07-14-2015, 08:22 AM

Wow, a lot of info, thanks for that!
I didn't even know that the slide was a parameter in the jetting. The stock one in my bike is 7.
Both the setups that worked for you are much richer than mine...
Maybe it's because you ride hare scrambles which (for my understanding) includes a lot of high-RPM parts?
I'm riding mostly slow semi-technical singles in the forest with rocks and turns, so I'm looking to improve my lower end, and don't need to ride too rich.
That said, we do go on a fast desert/sand rides once in a while, and while I know I can't expect optimal jetting for these cases as well, I need at least to make sure that I won't melt my piston on these rides.

Any recommendations for these conditions from all the setups you've tried?
Old 07-14-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doutsh View Post
Wow, a lot of info, thanks for that!
I didn't even know that the slide was a parameter in the jetting. The stock one in my bike is 7.
Both the setups that worked for you are much richer than mine...
Maybe it's because you ride hare scrambles which (for my understanding) includes a lot of high-RPM parts?
I'm riding mostly slow semi-technical singles in the forest with rocks and turns, so I'm looking to improve my lower end, and don't need to ride too rich.
That said, we do go on a fast desert/sand rides once in a while, and while I know I can't expect optimal jetting for these cases as well, I need at least to make sure that I won't melt my piston on these rides.

Any recommendations for these conditions from all the setups you've tried?
Sorry about the jumbled mess of a post above, but for some reason I couldn't fix anything, because it was erasing words as I tried to fix them.

I would recommend that you start out using a CCL needle in the #4 clip with a 50 pilot and a 185 main. Set the air screw 2 turns out to start. You may very well need to go leaner. This is just to get you started on the right track safely

The 125's simply create way less draw through the carburetor, and therefore need to be jetted much richer, especially on the needle diameter and main. If you do try any of the multi taper needle, I would start off in the F/G diameter range to start off with while using that #7 slide.

Keep this in mind, A CEL needle jet is basically the exact same as the CCL, with the exception of it(CEL) being 2 clip positions leaner. This will give you room to go leaner using that same 1.34 taper, if you need to.

Last edited by MJC; 07-16-2015 at 12:47 PM.