Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:04 PM

Default Slide spring = Arm pump?

It seems like I'm very susceptable to arm pump on my Gasgas. I feel as though the spring requires more effort at the throttle tube than I'm used to on my other bikes, leading to arm pump. Has anyone else experienced this?

Does anyone change or modify the carb slide spring?

I might change grips from half waffle Progrips to the thicker Rally or Protaper pillow grips to see if it helps.

What are your opinions?

'09 GG 280 TXT (to learn on)
'02 BMW R1150RT (for racking up the miles)
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul
If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough

Old 04-01-2009, 06:55 PM

If that spring is causing you problems you really need to hit the gym.

Seriously, if the action is stiff its more likely that things need to be cleaned and lubed. A G2 Ergo throttle tube (alloy) also makes the action very smooth. The new ones even have Delrin bushings.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:15 PM

It might seem lame or be the smaller diameter grips than I have on my KTM, I don't know. I have a new G2 throttle cam with the delrin insert, and a new Motion Pro throttle cable. The carb was even just serviced by Ron at RB. Hell, I even have Flexx bars and good suspension!
I trophied in my (amateur 40+) class and ran the whole 90 miles of a rocky, whooped out course. I'm not out of shape. I'm just not used to getting arm pump so quickly. I was taking it easy at the start to avoid this scenario. Definitely trying to avoid putting a death grip on the bike.
Guess I'll just have to read tips on how to avoid the dreaded arm pump. Maybe there are certain exercises I can do that will help.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:37 PM

Jon I have the same problem, mine is caused by constantly squeezing the throttle too tight. On thing that helps me a lot is to try to keep my ring finger and pinky on the front brake lever most of the time.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:46 PM
Banned

If your jumping back and forth between two bikes and they are not set up exactly the same you can get arm pump, different bar bends and heights can do that.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:23 PM

You Can also swap the carb spring for the one that gaurds the fuel line on Some Gasgas bikes. That one is softer for sure. I did it and reduced arm pump but then I hit the gym and lost alot of fatigue durring ridding.
Lifes journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting holy cow what a ride !!!!
Old 04-01-2009, 11:54 PM

The spring on my fuel line was not stiff enough to kee th slide closed. It made for some interesting mud riding one day till I swaped them back trail sdie. On my 99 i cut a little off the spring, have yet to do that to the 07, not sure if will.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:31 AM

I doubt its the carb spring. Your going from a 4-stroke to a 2-stroke, a 300 2-stroke. It pulls different, and your probably subconsiously holding on tighter. Its smooth but not 4-stroke smooth. Also, suspension and feel is different between the two bikes. The big 4-strokes feel more planted up front in the rocks, all else being equal and both bikes being set up correctly. I know going between a Husky 450 and my 250 GG the GG, while valved very good with no bad habits, is just lighter and more "active" on the trail. Its weight, weight bias, and compression braking. Next time you ride try and think about that. There are many opinions on arm pump causes and cures, you have to find what works for you.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:44 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. I will probably throw the supermoto setup back on the KTM and ride the Gasser exclusively off road, at least for anything technical. I can fine tune any issues I have when I know I'm "adjusted" to the bike.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:51 PM

It's certainly true the pull of a 300 2 strokes is different. I always found with my KTM 450 there was a slight delay that allowed you to start to shift your balance when you opened the throttle either on purpose or by accident. The 300 is instant response which if you're jiggling the throttle over roots gets tiring. However I think a lot of arm pump is down to getting the right bars at the right angle for you.