Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:43 AM

heres my travel truck,unfortunatly im not racing gasgas this year,but only one of the three bikes has been sold off

Old 08-01-2009, 11:22 PM

Sideshowbob and Mountain Thumper, how do your Subarus do while towing? I have an Impreza 2.5i and am thinking about getting a tow hitch installed so I don't have to bother the folks to use their Tundra. Do you guy have the automatic or manual transmission? I'm curious as how the manual would hold up to towing 2 bikes plus gear. As I have never towed using a manual, do you have any tips to make things easier and so I don't smoke the clutch the first time out? Thanks
Old 08-02-2009, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtrider0129 View Post
Sideshowbob and Mountain Thumper, how do your Subarus do while towing?
sorry, i just reposted a link from PEB's
mines the old dodge pickup

FOR THE SECOND TIME 07 EC300 polisport headlight, acerbis taillight ltr pv cover and case saver,trailtech endurance,120z fww, g2 throttle,xr chain puck:
Old 08-02-2009, 08:23 AM

You can tow a small class 1 trailer and two bikes with just about anything, stick or auto. I've seen 4cyl cars of all types doing this, and I did it myself back in the early '80s with a 2.2L/5spd Toyota Celica. Class 1 is 1500 lbs., you will be well below that.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:07 AM

Here is mine. '05 Starcraft 11RT popup, you can tow it off road anywhere a 4x4 pickup will go. Showers, AC, heat, the works, plus cargo deck up front. Bikes ride in back of Toyota Tundra tow vehicle.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:21 AM

I will post up my new ride as soon as I get it next week.
Lifes journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting holy cow what a ride !!!!
Old 08-02-2009, 06:57 PM

My Subaru has no problems with the trailer loaded with two bikes. Another friend has a Jetta that also tows a small trailer well. My car tows that trailer so well that I sometimes wonder what the cornering and top speed capabilities of the tires on the trailer are. I have slid the trailer and the car around a couple corners in the gravel and it gets hectic quick!
Old 08-02-2009, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Well - I posted my truck and camper in "vacation thread" that got this all started :

The vehicle is a 2005 chevy 1 ton single rear wheel, crewcab, longbed - w/ duramax diesel & allison trans... My wife has a horse - so I had the big diesel pickup for my wifes horse shows, etc. For camper hauling - added hellwig rear anti-sway bar, kyb monomax shocks (much better than the bilsteins they replaced), and pacbrake airbags...

The camper is a 2006 Northern Lite 9.6 classic - it is a canadian company that makes a fiberglass camper - no seams at the corners to reduce possibility of leaks- good insulation & heated holding tanks for winter use (skiing). Just bought the camper a few months ago - it was a "new, leftover '06" - loaded with options - stereo/dvd, large fridge, thermal pane windows, front and side awning, air conditioning. It is relatively light and allows me to tow a trailer behind...

For bike hauling - a 6 X 10 enclosed wells cargo trailer. 6' high ceiling - I am 5'9"... E-track (3 strips on floor and 2 welded along the walls), pingel wheel chocks and an aluminum cabinet mounted up front for parts storage, etc.

Now all I need is a little more time to use the stuff.... :-)

jeff
Old 08-02-2009, 10:58 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Dang, I wish I were literate enough to post pictures. I'd love to post the picture of my "El Festivo" from Costa Rica. It was a Ford Festiva at one time, but a sawzall made it into a sort of El Camino like morphedite. Yes, it is as bad as you are imagining, but remember, an RM 250 is a perfectly acceptable street bike in rural Costa Rica. You ought to have seen my buddy's Subaru Brat, with a big rack built on it to carry his boat on top, plus his bikes in the "bed" of the thing.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 08-03-2009, 07:14 AM

Costa Rica, can't wait to go back, what a fun place. Once you leave the USA, anything is possible as far as vehicles go. Even here sometimes. Recently, in upstate NY, I saw a guy with a kayak lashed to his Harley.

Jeff, I need those airbags on my wife's Nissan Pathfinder, that we tow the Starcraft with for family trips. Plenty of motor but the rear is a bit soft.

I also have a small two rail trailer I use for single day/multi bike trips. If my kids had more interest in riding/racing, I'd set the front deck of the camper up with bike shoes. Two minis or one full size will go no problem.

Question: I've had several Toyotas, all great vehicles, and my '01 Tundra has been by far the best vehicle I have ever owned. Even though it runs great its got over 200K, now may be the time to replace it while deals are good. Since I use the truck for everything including a 35 mile one way commute, a new 5.7L Tundra @ 13MPG is not going to do it. I put 25 - 30K/yr on a truck. I'm thinking about a a new full crew cab Tacoma. Anyone have a new one and tow with it? My camper is rated 3500 lbs. If its like the Nissan 4.0V6 it will be fine.