Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 01-02-2007, 01:08 PM

Default Float issues

I've been having a major issue with my float. I have set the float so many times now I can't even count. I have even had a bunch of friends set it as well, but the same outcome each time. I re-set the float level Saturday took the bike out for 1/2 hour with no issues or leaking. Took the bike out Monday and it was pissing out even while I was riding. Basically even though the float is set to what my manual stated, gas is pissing out of the float tube. I've never had a carb problem like this and I'm running out of ideas since I have set the level probably 20 times at this point. Any ideas? Nobody say check the float level either!

Old 01-02-2007, 01:37 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

How long do you let gas sit in you carb?

Ethanol is wreaking havoc on all kinds of vehicles. Using a stabilizer is more important then ever and if your bike is going to sit you need to drain your carb, even if it's two weeks.

Which reminds me I need to do mine. My bike leaked for the first time this summer and it had only sat for three weeks with stabilizer. I drained after that and the problem was gone as fast as it started.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:40 PM

Thanks Eff, Nope the gas is brand new. The weirdest part is that I will take the carb apart, check the level, reinstall it and no leak, ride a little and no leak. Then when you go out for the day of riding it will start leaking as the ride goes on. Really annoying. If carbs weren't almost 700 bucks I would just buy a new one. I'm curious if the float assembly or some of the other parts in the float are shot.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:52 PM

when you take the carb apart is the float still at the correct level? if it is,assuming it doesnt have any pin holes in the float and taking in gas(which you should feel if your removing the float)it sounds like you needle vavle is either worn or sticking(dirt) up too high,you probably have cleaned the carb out already,but you may have picked up something along the way,do you have an inline fuel filter? maybe a clogged vent?how clean is your airbox behind your filter?
Old 01-02-2007, 04:19 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I have a friend at a Yamaha Dealer in NH and they have had to rebuild a large number of carbs this year.

I would start with cleaning the needle (might need to be replaced) and seat. I'd also check to see that your float still floats.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:30 AM

Replace the needle/seat and make sure the carb is 100% upright and not tilted. My 06 has not leaked since adjusting the float height from new. It came set as high as it would go.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:24 PM

it might be worth checking any o-rings or rubber seals that are in the carb as my old suzuki 125 suffered this continually until i pulled the carb completely to bits and found an o'ring had perished letting fuel through from the tank continually.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:20 PM

Check that the float pivot pin/axle is not too loose. I have heard of carbs where the pivot becomes sloppy in the towers that support it. When this happens you get varying float heights.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:44 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Someone noted previously that the float can be twisted slightly - so the left side of the float is not the same height as the right etc. To ensure that this isn't happening - check the float height from both right and left sides of the carb. (I think eric k gets credit for this tip).

jeff
Old 01-04-2007, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eff View Post
I have a friend at a Yamaha Dealer in NH and they have had to rebuild a large number of carbs this year.

I would start with cleaning the needle (might need to be replaced) and seat. I'd also check to see that your float still floats.
yup, he's correct. we've had a huge problem. new bikes that have sat for as little as 2 weeks have had stuck or etched float valves. pay close attention to the valve. if it has 4 raised edges running parallel from top to bottom of the valve and have any marks on them at all it will cause them to stick. i've seen valves with the tiniest marks that would hang up. it's recommended that the fuel be drained from the bowl if the bike is going to sit for a week or more. also use a fuel stabilizer that prevents corrosion.