Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 04:06 PM

Default squawky clutch

Just made it back from a long ride with my buddies. We added additional oil but the squeeling persists. I believe its more random because two 300 today didn't make a noise while the other made all kinds of noise. I believe its getting worse. All of us had 2010s while another had a gg. 200 and I know he abused the heck out of the thing. All the bikes have the same bottom end even the 200. I just can't figure it out. Its annoying

2008 250 xc KTM
2007 200 xc KTM
To many KTM's to list
1983 175 IT Yamaha
1995 200 KDX Kawasaki

Old 12-28-2010, 04:28 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

What I'm about to suggest will be a little work.

It would be interesting to take the squeaker and a non squeaker and swap the clutch plates. If the problem switches bikes, then move only the metal plates and see where the problem goes. This is a half hour job, and you can do it with the bike on it's side so the oil stays put. If the problem doesn't move I'd take a real close look at the baskets and look for differences. Measure, feel, look, taste.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 12-28-2010, 05:33 PM

Here is something to look for if you go to the trouble of tearing into the clutch. Sometimes when the friction material is bonded to the steel part of the friction plate a little extra glue will get on the friction material and in the oil relief groves of the friction material. This glue can cause an inconsistent working clutch. Mind you never a problem but an annoyance in the form of a quick grab one time and smooth and normal the next. Often it will cause a sticky clutch the first few times after a long period without using the clutch. It may cause a noise but I can't think of a way to prove it other than the simple low cost fix that involves a little time and not much more. So if you're a perfectionist here it goes. Buy a small flat jewelers file and while you have the friction plates out and in your hand use the file to clean the edges and grooves of any excess glue. That's it. If the noise goes away then call me a hero, if it doesn't work you can curse my name and you're only out a little time and it will improve the smoothness of your clutch.

My 200 needs this done but I'm too lazy to do it unless I have to have it apart for another reason. It does honk like a goose every once in a blue moon when I'm getting mean with it.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:37 PM

I had a clutch start squealing when taking off under a bit of a load on my 06 after having it a year so I figured it was shot and changed it and did the Honda conversion and it still does it sometimes. I use Rotella 5w-40 (or is it 30?) and don't really sweat it, I figured it was the cheapo Tusk clutch I put in it, but it doesn't really slip under a hard pull, and I am not a little fellow. Run it and watch it, as they say, and like someone else said, avoid oils with additives (energy conserving). Also you may want to look at the tech article on this site about oils, http://www.gasgasrider.org/html/gear...valuation.html . Eric made several comments about squeal. If Rotella gets any more expensive (not too bad in gallons, but quarts now are getting up around $6 or $7) I am thinking about going back to Amsoil myself...
Old 12-28-2010, 06:13 PM

Ya....my clutch does the same thing on my 200, it did it when the OEM plates / springs were in the bike from Roost, and the (sp) Barrert clutch pack was installed several years back. It only does it when it get HOT and I'm WORK'IN the dog snot of of it!!! I am one to not change up my routine much, so I really can't say if it's the oil, or it might be the oil???
Here we go again.....oil.......I used to use Golden Spectro 80wt 2stroke tranny oil and it did it with that oil and it does it with Motul 2 stroke tranny oil as well.
My last 2 rides were killer on the clutch, in fact I abused it more the last 2 times out than I have in the last 9 years......it was chripp'in like the Back Street Boyz I even had water in my over flow tank......she was HOT!

I don't worry about it, it has made this nosie since I've had the bike.....much like having a bunch of 11mm and 13 mm nuts and bolts...it comes with the program.
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 12-29-2010, 04:09 AM

To fix the clutch squeal you need to remove the clutch basket, than drill 8mm holes as low as possible in each of the webbing at the bottom of the basket that are between the (lets call them post) this allows more oil flow. If you have a look at the 2011 basket Gas Gas have changed this to fix the problem. Also have a look at the S3 clutch basket and you will see they have done the same.
The best oil is a light weight motorcycle gear box oil, I don't suggest using ATF as it can not with-stand the loads that a manual motorcycle gear-box has.
Using ATF will take the hardening off the teeth after a wile.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:59 AM

Default drilling holes in the basket

Ok could you explain to me again where to drill the holes again. Do you mean on the fingers where the fibers catch on the basket or on the bottom flat part of the basket.
2008 250 xc KTM
2007 200 xc KTM
To many KTM's to list
1983 175 IT Yamaha
1995 200 KDX Kawasaki
Old 12-29-2010, 04:05 PM

How do you post images so I can show you?
Old 12-29-2010, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

This is off ThumperTalk.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:41 PM

Default clutch squawk

Ok I under stand now its not the clutch basket but the inner clutch hub that need the holes for the oil relief. Hey Clay what do you think about the modification?
2008 250 xc KTM
2007 200 xc KTM
To many KTM's to list
1983 175 IT Yamaha
1995 200 KDX Kawasaki
Closed Thread