Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
What do I have to spend for a good modern bike, or how much to bring my old one up to spec with a fork and is it worth it?
While there are those who ride with no suspension or just a front suspension or even the torture of single speed I'm not one of them and I say get a bike with dual suspension. Especially since you live in the land of rocks and roots.

I would say a minimum of $1,000 for a new bike on blowout or a somewhat decent used bike. $1,500 starts to get you into a better sweet spot especially in the used market. For example, my bike and my sons bike are $3,000 dollar bikes new but we both picked them up used in like new pristine condition for $1,500 each. Of course I have dumped a fair amount more into mine. $1,500-$2,000 you can get a pretty nice new bike and a dam fine used one. Then it just goes up from there to crazy money. So many good used bikes out there that have been ridden very little and plenty of good leftovers also. No need to go latest and greatest unless you have money to burn.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:11 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidad View Post
While there are those who ride with no suspension or just a front suspension or even the torture of single speed I'm not one of them and I say get a bike with dual suspension. Especially since you live in the land of rocks and roots.

I would say a minimum of $1,000 for a new bike on blowout or a somewhat decent used bike. $1,500 starts to get you into a better sweet spot especially in the used market. For example, my bike and my sons bike are $3,000 dollar bikes new but we both picked them up used in like new pristine condition for $1,500 each. Of course I have dumped a fair amount more into mine. $1,500-$2,000 you can get a pretty nice new bike and a dam fine used one. Then it just goes up from there to crazy money. So many good used bikes out there that have been ridden very little and plenty of good leftovers also. No need to go latest and greatest unless you have money to burn.
Agreed. I almost made the mistake of making my decision based on year model, instead of components. Just because its a year newer, doesn't mean its better as I found out. Good thing my advisor took a look at the spec sheets before I pulled the trigger.

My last bike (Trek 950) had front suspension with a hard tail and I liked it but... I've aged some since then! My back simply can't take the beating, so full suspension was a must. Guess for now, the old Trek will get setup on the wind trainer and I'll use it as a stationary bike.

Good grief...will it ever quit snowing so I can ride?
Old 01-07-2011, 07:50 PM

In another life I was a Cat II road racer and an Expert level mountain bike racer. I just don't like to suffer that much any more and it takes all of your free time to train. I still have a Trek OCLV road bike and a 29" mountain bike. They get used, but my mileage pales in comparison to what I used to do.

It's winter here and I like to XC ski if the conditions are right. Used to race those too. I just signed up for the Concept II rowing challenge, over on KTM Talk. Hope they don't mind I have a GG. But I do have one of those orange things too.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr View Post
It's winter here and I like to XC ski if the conditions are right. Used to race those too. I just signed up for the Concept II rowing challenge, over on KTM Talk. Hope they don't mind I have a GG. But I do have one of those orange things too.
2 more fantastic forms of exercise. I sooooo much want a rower to punish myself with. All in good time. XC skiing is also the nuts IMO. Best "overall" conditioned athletes in the world are world class XC ski racers.

Good luck with the challenge. I've seen that in the health and fitness forum over there.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr View Post

I have a concept II rower at home as well. And the small gym I use every day at work has one. Great workout for riding and it's smooth and easy on the joints.

Since my double bypass - I have been working out every day on the treadmill and the rower - usually 45-60 minutes of cardio along with light weights.

I recall that Girard (gasgasman) said that he rows as well...

jeff
Old 01-08-2011, 09:39 AM

Figured it would be expensive. I got my DB years ago for urban assault city road rides where I used to live, that would tear up a road bike. I rode up here a few times and even the easy stuff is rocky and brutal on the bike. Some of those bikes are insane expensive. My main riding buddy is also an expert downhill mtn bike racer, his race bike is over $4400!

Ever try a Versaclimber? The most intense cardio machine I've used, ever. Don't see many in gyms anymore. The last gym I was in that had one, it was always open, the manager said it was too rough for all but the serious members. I loved that thing.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:57 AM

Default Versaclimber

I remember seeing one of those in our local gymn, but never tried it.

Going to the gymn started out fun, but it seemed I always caught some kind of bug while going. Finally had to quit, just to get healthy again.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:30 PM

Maybe next year we will have to organize a GG rowing team for the Concept II January challenge.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:45 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I searched for months before getting a mt. Bike. I wanted a single speed because lots of the locals ride them, but I soon found that a decent single speed with a suspension fork was $1500. You don't save money getting a single speed. I could make a case for it though. I commute in a single speed. It makes you strong. Believe it or not, most guys I know who have both geared and single speed bikes are actually faster on the single speed. You have to be. You see a hill, you stands and hammer before you get there.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 01-09-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostafish View Post
I searched for months before getting a mt. Bike. I wanted a single speed because lots of the locals ride them, but I soon found that a decent single speed with a suspension fork was $1500. You don't save money getting a single speed. I could make a case for it though. I commute in a single speed. It makes you strong. Believe it or not, most guys I know who have both geared and single speed bikes are actually faster on the single speed. You have to be. You see a hill, you stands and hammer before you get there.
Dude you must be a machine to pedal a single speed off-road!