Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 04-03-2007, 12:28 PM

Default Shock & Linkage re-assembly question?

I was re-installing my linkage and shock the other night and ran into a few questions:

First, The two samll cupped washers that go in between the bottom of the shock and the wishbone, basicall where the two meet. How are those washers oriented, does the bigger or smaller diameter face inward or outward?

Second, you have the two vertical supports that attach at the bottom of the frame and then go upward and go in between the engine case and the swingarm. My question is, on the rotor side (right if facing) where the big bolt goes through on the top of the wishbone, when I tightened that nut up it did not fully pull it in on the linkage wisbone. Basically there is a small gap maybe .005, but you can see it. Is this normal, or are they supposed to be tight against wishbone?

Old 04-03-2007, 06:57 PM

The washers are installed convex side out, toward the shock clevis. The inside edges preload and seal on the o-rings. A pain to assemble until you get used to it but seals well.

The pull rods and linkage bracket tighten against the bearing sleeves, with a small clearance. The steel washers retain the o-rings. Be sure the washers are not pinched between the sleeves and the pull rods.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

If you are a more visual type of guy, here is a pic I created one time to help out another rider. Like Glenn mentioned, the washers "cup" the seals. This is the way I always tried to remember it.

The misalignment of the shims on the rocker/linkage is very easy to do. I did it a couple of times. If you remove the shim, take a look on the ID to see if you have a witness mark from clamping on it. It will look like a crescent shape. Hopefully, you didn't torque too hard and bent the shim. If so, you should replace the shim.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:53 PM

Another tip: Assemble the main rocker and linkage brackets on the bench, hand tight only, just enough to keep the flat washers centered on the sleeves. Fit it to the frame, loosening the main rocker bolt as required to move the brackets. Temporarily install the swingarm pivot to align the brackets/engine/frame, and tighten the bracket mounts and main rocker bolt. Some bikes are a PIA with a tight fit that requires a plastic hammer, others perfect.