Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Pictures & Videos

Old 08-22-2011, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

Huh?? A 5 year old pc probably won't cut the mustard but just about anything with a semi decent dedicated graphics card and at minimum 2GB of system ram should have no issues converting video.
My E8500 with a HD4850 works without any issues at all.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:35 PM

Fred said he had an XP machine. Most XP vintage PCs are lacking in the hardware you describe, unless you build your own. I have a super fast XP machine in work because I must develop on the XP platform for a lot of XP systems of various configurations. PCs will work, no argument there, just takes some screwing around getting a good set of codecs (Corecodec is a good one) in addition to hardware. The Mac I'm on now is absolutely fantastic, I'm sold. I can import a 1G GoPro file shot in 960 to iMovie in a few minutes. Plus I can do it while playing here and looking at my GPS tracks I imported in Google earth and Basecamp.

I solved my mount issues. I just did not have the rubber damper pushed into the mount far enough. Now its fine. Tilted the visor up more and it sits like yours using the GoPro mount.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Fred said he had an XP machine. Most XP vintage PCs are lacking in the hardware you describe, unless you build your own. I have a super fast XP machine in work because I must develop on the XP platform for a lot of XP systems of various configurations. PCs will work, no argument there, just takes some screwing around getting a good set of codecs (Corecodec is a good one) in addition to hardware. The Mac I'm on now is absolutely fantastic, I'm sold. I can import a 1G GoPro file shot in 960 to iMovie in a few minutes. Plus I can do it while playing here and looking at my GPS tracks I imported in Google earth and Basecamp.
My PC is struggling as it is so I figure overload will happen if I start to do video stuff. It has a Pentium 4 CPU @ 2.80 GHz with 1 GB of Ram but it's on an older Dell Inspiron 9100 laptop. If I could make it work it would save learning a new system
I'm looking at this-
3.06Ghz intel core 2 duo, 4GB DDR3 ram, 500GB HD, nvidia GeForce 9400 256MB video card, DVD burner, card reader, 21.5" display w/ matching mouse and keyboard. Running Leopard but not the newest version. A friend of mine bought it for gaming and doesn't like it wants $800. Opinions, thoughts?? Thanks
2006 GasGas EC250-Sold to a good home
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro
Old 08-23-2011, 10:28 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Glenn, I will be waiting for those Mac Tips! I did one with imovie and it took a long time to upload to google. I have not yet tried this new finagled youtube thing...
Breaking more things by 8:00AM than most people break all day.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:53 AM

Your old laptop is the same as my work laptop(due for upgrade too), it is not going to cut it.

That Mac will work fine. Chip is in the ballpark for what you want to do. You can even upgrade the memory to 8G for cheap now. I paid $53 for an 8G Crucial kit rather than $250 from apple. Disk is fine too. I'm going to an SSD when the prices drop a bit for a major speed increase. For basic video editing that you see here and Youtube a high end graphics card is not needed but it doesn't hurt either. Sounds good, I'd do it and do the RAM upgrade. It should have iMovie (the basic video editing package) on it already. The best thing about it for a guy like you is that it just works without major drama. The only thing I heard about pre '11 iMovie is that it does not support 720 60 fps, so if you want to shoot in that upgrade. I'm new to this too(Macs and video) but its fun learning new stuff. My only gripe is mine is the 13" laptop. The 15" and 17" were just way too much $$. Later this winter I'll get a bigger monitir to plug in for extended video work, but its fine for everything else.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1956 View Post
3.06Ghz intel core 2 duo, 4GB DDR3 ram, 500GB HD, nvidia GeForce 9400 256MB video card, DVD burner, card reader, 21.5" display w/ matching mouse and keyboard. Running Leopard but not the newest version. A friend of mine bought it for gaming and doesn't like it wants $800. Opinions, thoughts??
This is very much on par with my current system. What operating system is it running? Still takes a little bit to grasp the changes between XP and Win7 but nothing too extreme. I paid around $1200 to build mine but that would have been over a year ago now at a guess, so around $800 sounds in the park. See if you can squeeze another couple hungey off as that graphics card really isnt anything too flash at all.. No wonder your mate wasn't happy with the gaming performance
Old 08-23-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Your old laptop is the same as my work laptop(due for upgrade too), it is not going to cut it. My only gripe is mine is the 13" laptop. The 15" and 17" were just way too much $$. Later this winter I'll get a bigger monitir to plug in for extended video work, but its fine for everything else.
I think my eyes will definitely enjoy the 21" monitor. Thanks Glenn
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro
Old 08-23-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
This is very much on par with my current system. What operating system is it running? Still takes a little bit to grasp the changes between XP and Win7 but nothing too extreme. I paid around $1200 to build mine but that would have been over a year ago now at a guess, so around $800 sounds in the park. See if you can squeeze another couple hungey off as that graphics card really isnt anything too flash at all.. No wonder your mate wasn't happy with the gaming performance
It is running Leopard (it's a Mac) I hear upgrade to Snow Leopard is @ $30 and I'll look into a video card upgrade Thanks Jakobi
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro
Old 08-23-2011, 02:07 PM

Fred, I'm in the opposite predicament, I have a big bad ass Mac computer but no GoPro. Besides, I would have to figure a way to speed up the video to compensate for how slow I was going.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:05 PM

I used to build my own PC systems too, nothing but the best and fastest stuff. After a day at work fixing code, drivers, etc to get the PCs do do what I need the last thing I wanted to do is come home and do it. Between the virus problems and performance degredation caused by the scanners if its an older machine, I'm done with PCs for home use. I'm not crazy about Apple's tight control, and their prices, but after owning this for a week I can say its the best machine I've had for what I and most people do at home, and the hardware is top quality. Plus, if you need to run Windows for some reason, you can install it in another partition or run it in a virtual machine mode using the Parellels software. I ported all my Garmin GPS maps, tracks, etc. over to the Mac and it works great. All I need a Windows PC for is my OBDII software for car stuff, but I can use my Dell laptop for that, too infrequent to justify setting up Windows on the Mac.