Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:36 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default Dakar rally is cancelled

http://video.eurosport.se/rallyraid/...vid60732.shtml

Old 01-04-2008, 05:45 AM

From www.dakar.com:
Quote:
A.S.O. cancels the 2008 edition of the Dakar rally

After different exchanges with the French government - in particular the Ministry for Foreign Affairs - , and based on their firm recommendations, the organisers of the Dakar have taken the decision to cancel the 2008 edition of the rally, scheduled from the 5th to the 20th of January between Lisbon and Senegal’s capital.

Based on the current international political tension and the murder of four French tourists last 28th of December linked to a branch of Al-Qaeda in Islamic Maghreb, but also and mainly the direct threats launched directly against the race by terrorist organisations, no other decision but the cancellation of the sporting event could be taken by A.S.O.

A.S.O.’s first responsibility is to guarantee the safety of all: that of the populations in the countries visited, of the amateur and professional competitors, of the technical assistance personnel, of the journalists, partners and rally collaborators. A.S.O. therefore reaffirms that the choice of security is not, has never been and will never be a subject of compromise at the heart of the Dakar rally.

A.S.O. condemns the terrorist menace that annihilates a year of hard work, engagement and passion for all the participants and the different actors of the world’s biggest off-road rally. Aware of the huge frustration, especially in Portugal, Morocco, Mauritania and Senegal, and beyond the general disappointment and the huge economical consequences in terms of direct and indirect repercussions for the countries visited, A.S.O. will continue to defend the major values of great sporting events and will carry on its engagement for a durable development through the Actions Dakar, started 5 years ago in sub-Saharan Africa with SOS Sahel International.

The Dakar is a symbol and nothing can destroy symbols. The cancellation of the 2008 edition does not endanger the future of the Dakar. To offer, for 2009 a new adventure to all the off-road rally passionate is a challenge that A.S.O. will take on in the months to come, faithful to its engagement and its passion for sports.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:59 AM

Yet another reason the world needs to rid its self from these terrorist groups
so the rest of us who know how to live in peace can do so.

my 2cents
Ron
Old 01-07-2008, 08:27 PM
Banned

VW race tourag with twin 50 calibers.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:35 PM

Crikey, I do feel for the competitors. Basically a year in training and anticipation for nothing.
The problem is that in most western countries we either have not got the space or the do-gooders have made it nearly impossible to organise large scale racing like that. Lawsuits galore.

I do like the Toureg idea, maybe with a couple of grenade launchers as well (instead of headlights). Stand back James B.
05 Pampera 250
Old 01-08-2008, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcclure200 View Post
Yet another reason the world needs to rid its self from these terrorist groups
so the rest of us who know how to live in peace can do so.

my 2cents
Ron
Hey Ron, it's a bit more complicated than that. I agree with the decision to cancel this years Dakar but I know a few people who were due to ride it and it's a rough deal on them. But: essentially the Dakar is taking a rich mans sport, a symbol of (for want of a better description) western decandence (face it, our sport is pretty decadent) and thrusting in the face of the indigent and dirt poor. The Dakar goes straight through the their backyard. Every year or most years some poor kid or kids who're herding the families mangy goats gets whacked by a car, bike or truck. Prior to this the poor kid has never seen anything other than some ratty bus capable of, at most, 40 miles and hour. The poor kids brain can't deal with the concept of 120 mph let alone work out that he'd better sprint like hell to get out of it's way. Nevermind peoples like this have a pretty fatalistic attitude to kids getting whacked, it's still a rough deal.

The people who deserve more sympathy than the competitors are those whose villages they bivouac in. These people are commisioned to supply meat, bread etc and do handsomely out of the deal.

The third worlds a complicated place. I know I lived in Africa for 40 years of my life and was thrown out of two countries simply because I was the wrong colour. As a result of people like me being bounced I've watched two countries go to the dogs and am watching one go that way now. I've also seen the same countries blame the "imperialist, capitalist west" for all their woes but beg for money in the same breath.

So, I say, f%ck 'em. Build a bloody great wall around them and leave them to starve and we'll take our sport and money to somewhere that appreciates them. Either that or tell them to get thier own house in order, stop sponging off us and give us reasonable guarantees.

M2CW

'06 Raga Rep

(hopefully '08 EC200 & '10 TXT Pro 250 soon)
Old 01-08-2008, 10:12 PM

Code:
I know I lived in Africa for 40 years of my life and was thrown 
out of two countries simply because I was the wrong colour.
Didn't know you were black, Tim

Kenya is stoking the fire at present.
Capetown to London is going to get harder.
05 Pampera 250
Old 01-08-2008, 10:34 PM

Hey Kim, UNESCO's running that ad on TV presently, pleading for money for schools etc. Everytime I watch it I end up spitting. Ask youself, why isn't their government providing schools, medicine, roads etc?

'06 Raga Rep

Old 01-08-2008, 11:44 PM

Wink

[QUOTE=kim;11900]
Code:
I know I lived in Africa for 40 years of my life and was thrown 
out of two countries simply because I was the wrong colour.
Didn't know you were black, Tim

Not everybody who has lived in Africa is a black.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:04 AM

Hydro, Kim was just "pulling the piss".

Seriously, my initial posting was lacking structure, but it's the story of the Arab world and Africa. That's why these people are angry. They get ripped off and generally reamed out by thier "leaders" who get them to direct their anger at us to avoid the flack coming back at them. You'll be amazed at how much support Mugabe has in Africa.

'06 Raga Rep