Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Announcements

Enduro Product Announcements Announce new gasgas enduro products here - Vendors Welcome...

Old 04-10-2014, 08:47 AM

Default 23 ounce flywheel weights

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuJohnson View Post
That is the new one... Or at least I thought. I bought mine right after you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nah I just bought one last week. They sent a new shipment in. Edges are tapered and it has apparently either balancing holes drilled or for getting the weight correct.

Ortonville Minnesota

Old 04-10-2014, 08:49 AM

Sent a new one to desertgasser and kept my old one. Must still be rather large ol girl but it's incredible.
Ortonville Minnesota
Old 04-10-2014, 09:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by djroggen View Post
Sent a new one to desertgasser and kept my old one. Must still be rather large ol girl but it's incredible.
Only the center nut they send with it stuck out out by about 2/3mm could be machined down abit more. Easy fix, it wasn't anything to get in a tizzy about though.

I will write something up about it after this weekends race.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2014, 12:29 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

This is a very interesting thread. I love it.
My 2006 DE300 had the smaller ignition. After I had Ron Black modify my 300's head, tight singletrack rocky off-camber turns instantly became more exciting. Sometimes, my bike's rear end would complete the turn before the front.
I then added a 10 oz fww to the flywheel to regain some control. It was a perfect (for me) solution, and worked like a charm.
I never experimented with a heavier weight on that bike. (and I still cry about it's theft. )

Looking at the photos posted in this thread, I see that this flywheel weight looks much like the "weight" that came in the original '96-'98 GG 250 counterbalanced engines with the extra lighting windings (Ducatti?) bolted to the inside of the magnesium ignition cover (and that GG later used on the 300cc quad).
The "weight" on those ignitions was an "internal rotor" to "excite" the windings.
It weighed very close to 23 oz, and had machinings on the underside of the weight to match the protrusions on the outside of the flywheel. When you tightened the separate fw nut, the mating of the machinings to the protrusions locked it in place, instead of only friction doing the job, as is the case with most of the fww that we see on the market.

When my son, Josh, first removed this weight from his '97 EC250 flywheel, it had a definite effect on his A-level riding style. In the hare scramble that weekend, he was blowing through turns. In fact, he came into the pits wailing about his brakes, saying that they weren't working. I told him that he was going into the woods with both wheels locked up; and his brakes were working fine. He was simply accelerating faster on the straights than he was used to on that bike (which still had the counterbalancer installed, and so was still running a fairly heavy crankshaft assembly).
But, Josh's racing style at the time was very aggressive, and not based on the engine being extremely controllable.

I may pull one of these older '97 flywheel weights out of my parts bins, and put it on my secondary bike, a 2004 XC300, just to see what effect it has on it's power delivery.

Thank you all again, for analyzing your experiments, and sharing your experiences with the rest of us in such a factual and interesting way.

Good Riding!
Jim
'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/
Old 04-26-2014, 09:34 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default 23ozFWW

Where are these purchased? Has anyone used PayPal for a payment? Does anyone make a billet stator cover? I mashed my cover good,hit rock which pushed displayed into cover. Which hit hard enough to deform the stator cover.I wouldn't be surprised if the flywheel rubbed the cover.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cook View Post
This is a very interesting thread. I love it.
My 2006 DE300 had the smaller ignition. After I had Ron Black modify my 300's head, tight singletrack rocky off-camber turns instantly became more exciting. Sometimes, my bike's rear end would complete the turn before the front.
I then added a 10 oz fww to the flywheel to regain some control. It was a perfect (for me) solution, and worked like a charm.
I never experimented with a heavier weight on that bike. (and I still cry about it's theft. )

Looking at the photos posted in this thread, I see that this flywheel weight looks much like the "weight" that came in the original '96-'98 GG 250 counterbalanced engines with the extra lighting windings (Ducatti?) bolted to the inside of the magnesium ignition cover (and that GG later used on the 300cc quad).
The "weight" on those ignitions was an "internal rotor" to "excite" the windings.
It weighed very close to 23 oz, and had machinings on the underside of the weight to match the protrusions on the outside of the flywheel. When you tightened the separate fw nut, the mating of the machinings to the protrusions locked it in place, instead of only friction doing the job, as is the case with most of the fww that we see on the market.

When my son, Josh, first removed this weight from his '97 EC250 flywheel, it had a definite effect on his A-level riding style. In the hare scramble that weekend, he was blowing through turns. In fact, he came into the pits wailing about his brakes, saying that they weren't working. I told him that he was going into the woods with both wheels locked up; and his brakes were working fine. He was simply accelerating faster on the straights than he was used to on that bike (which still had the counterbalancer installed, and so was still running a fairly heavy crankshaft assembly).
But, Josh's racing style at the time was very aggressive, and not based on the engine being extremely controllable.

I may pull one of these older '97 flywheel weights out of my parts bins, and put it on my secondary bike, a 2004 XC300, just to see what effect it has on it's power delivery.

Thank you all again, for analyzing your experiments, and sharing your experiences with the rest of us in such a factual and interesting way.

Good Riding!
Jim
I think the combination of the shaft balancer and the Ducati flywheel on the 97's make for one heck of trail machine. When I put the 23 ouncer on my 12' 300 I was hoping for the same effect that I have on the 97'. It gave me the same feel, but with more vibes. If there was a way to cure the horrid vibes on the 300 that would be a great machine and would be a huge step in the right direction.

Old 04-26-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adv rider View Post
Where are these purchased? Has anyone used PayPal for a payment? Does anyone make a billet stator cover? I mashed my cover good,hit rock which pushed displayed into cover. Which hit hard enough to deform the stator cover.I wouldn't be surprised if the flywheel rubbed the cover.

Wow
That's a lot of questions you just shot out.
What is the PayPal part?

Billet cover has been made. I have one but no longer think they are made. Company was Ransom Machine.

https://www.ktm-parts.com/GG-131.html#.U1voKYm9LCQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2014, 08:02 PM

Since adding the shim to my power valve my 300 has been really smooth. The original reason I added the weight was to slow down the hit when the power valve opened. I have been riding my 250 Beta and noticed it would drop into a corner easer than my GasGas. I decided to remove the weight and see how it felt. I could definitely notice a difference. Much easier to initiate the direction change.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuJohnson View Post

Billet cover has been made. I have one but no longer think they are made. Company was Ransom Machine.
Did all gas gas bikes come stock with plastic cover
Old 04-26-2014, 11:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper View Post
Did all gas gas bikes come stock with plastic cover
After a certain year they did. My 97' has a magnesium cover. My 07' and 12' are plastic.