Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Off Road Racer's Corner

Off Road Racer's Corner ISDE, Enduro, Hare Scrambles, etc.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:49 AM

Default Prepping for an Arizona Rain Race ?

It doesn't rain much in Arizona. Races are often dusty. We always pray for a touch of rain to keep the silt under control and make "hero dirt."

The weather forecast at this weekend's race in Wikieup suggests someone prayed too much:
Quote:
Saturday weather for Wikieup: Lo 28, Hi 52. Rain 50%. Winds 20-30 mph.
The whole place is dusted with a nice layer of decomposed granite so mud probably won't be an issue.

So, how do you prep man and machine for a cold and rainy race?

Clothing, gloves, googles, bike stuff?

Old 12-06-2013, 10:43 AM

Carry extra goggles with tearoffs and extra gloves and if you have dual pane lens for goggles use those, your normal cold weather riding gear should work and don't ice your camel back water.
So far as bike prep make sure you have the plastic guards for your bark busters to help with wind on the hands and if you haven't already used dielectric grease on all of your electrical connections Do it now.
The rest is mental preperation.
Good Luck and remember have fun
Old 12-06-2013, 11:22 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Rain X on goggle lens.

Tape an old goggle lens on the front of your visor, effectively making the visor longer.

I use a couple of strips of duct tape on the top and bottom of each plastic hand guard shield. Effectively making them bigger.

I will run those "glove liner" type thin gloves under my regular gloves. To fight off blisters when your hands get wet. Helps with cold too.

Outerwear pre filter for air filter. It's water proof.

I have a pair of older goggles that have the top foam removed. Really helps with fogging.

I spray WD40 all under the bike's fenders and skid plate. Helps keep mud from sticking, keeping the weight off.

Get in the mental state that you love rainy and cold conditions. You know your competition isn't going to like the conditions. However, you will embrace the opportunity to ride in the nasty stuff, ride with a passion, and overcome adversity. To hell with the rain, you are a dirt biker right? Now go out and bring us home a trophy!

I'll be in my warm and dry garage wrenching on bikes waiting to here how you faired.

Current ride: 2009 WR450

Previously owned: 12 Gas Gas XC300R, 06 WR450, 06 YZ250, 05 Gas Gas EC250, 05 KTM 450EXC, 02 KX250 w/EG310 kit, 03 YZ250F
Old 12-06-2013, 12:08 PM

Rain and Cold. I will put myself in Ohio, back in the Blizzards of '77-'78
Old 12-06-2013, 12:22 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Moose/MSR makes the ''elephant ear'' great to have in the cold conditions.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john r b View Post
Moose/MSR makes the ''elephant ear'' great to have in the cold conditions.
They work, but dang, Are they ugly What kind of temps are you gonna be experiencing with this rain? We ride all winter here(wind, rain, snow, and everything in between). Mostly I just wear high quality "winter" weight long underwear(synthetic, of course), high quality "heavy" socks, waterproof armored road bike gloves. Ready, set...Go! On occasion with frozen, driving rain I prefer my road bike helmet so I can adjust the shield for great ventilation(shield Rain-Xd). I hate wearing goggles...don't ask
Old 12-06-2013, 04:00 PM

Hmmm...Didn't see the weather forecast in your 1st post. If your body heats up quick, those are farely mild temps. I shouldn't think staying warm would be too much of a problem.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:22 PM

A mud race is a mind over matter...if you don't mind...it doens't matter! I like wet muddy races, I have had some of my best finishes in mud events. It's all about the preperation. If you prepare both yourself and the bike for a battle to the end you'll be fine, however ANYTHING can happen!
Mud races are also very expensive as well, brake pads, chain, sprockets, motor...sucking water and little pebbles into the cylinder...ouch!

Goggle - Dual pane lens. Use Roll Off System with a mud flap. My go to lens for my Smith Roll Off Goggles is dimpled, works killer in the rain / mud. The film tape WILL not stick to the dimpled lens, will not smear. The mud flap keeps water from getting between the film and lens.

Helmet - Add a extention to your visor, duct tape it on to your existing visor. When getting pletted with mud, just tip your head down and the extension visor will help in keeping your goggle cleaner. Duct tape any and all areas where the visior meets the helmet. This will keep mud, rain what ever from dripping into your vison area. If your visior is vented (most are) seal all that area with tape, will prevent "stuff" from dripping onto your goggle lens.

Gear - I like over the boot pants....pretty simple reason for mud races...I think it does a better job of keeping water out of your boots. Don't over dress, meaning, leave the jacket, trash bag, pouncho, what ever back at the truck. You don't want to over heat, your going to get WET, wet gear is bad enough, plus it gets heavy when wet. I will stuff a small towel around my belt area, just in case I have a tumble and need to wipe off my gloves / grips. Having wet grips is one thing, having muddy grips is a whole different ball game. Make sure you have a Hefty 32 gal trash bag to throw your gear in after the race! Ha!

Hand Guards - If they are large and vented, duct tape the vents up...your trying to keep water off your grips. I have taken 1 gallon milk jugs and cut them up to make my deflectors larger to keep the mud off my grip area. Duct tape them on. MRS makes large covers as well.

Skid Plate - Head over to a faberic shop, find some dense foam, stuff that in every nook and cranny between the skid plate and engine. Get creative with it, around the shifter area. Wrap your brake pedal with it, secure it with zip ties. This will prevent the area between the brake pedal and clutch cover from being impacted with mud.

Stablizer - Back it off a bit...My GPR is easy, adjust on the fly, I will adjust during the event as needed....Speed is not a factor, keep the rubber side down is what matters.

Tire Selection - Soft - Leave the Maxxis in the garage! I have used this tire with great results http://www.pirelli.com/tire/us/en/mo..._soft_410.html
Much better than a S-12XC. Since your speeds could be slower, drop some air pressure.

Rad Cover - This is funky, but it WORKS!!!! remove your levours, take some panty hose and insert them in one of the legs of the pany hose, make sure it is tight all the way around. Tie an knot and ccut it off. Do the same for the other side, reinstall the levours. The mud WILL NOT go through the panty hose, only water. You will not plug your cooling system wilth mud, impacting your radiators with mud, thus causing a DNF or smoked motor.
I like to use the "nude" color, it's harder for everyone to see

Under Seat Area - Take some of that left over foam and stuff it where the rear fender / airbox / seat base all merge, this will help keep water out of your airbox.

Carb Vent Lines - Make sure they don't hang too low. Cut the end on a 45 degree angle, this will help to prevent mud from plugging in the ends.

Rear Brake Disk - If you have a solid disk, use it! If not, depending on how muddy it is be prepared to toss those brake pads and you could really chew up your rotor. The slots / vents will impacted with mud, and every rotation of the wheel combined with the mud will eat away at your pads= no rear brake!

Chain - WD40! The gritty mud will eat chain lube for breakfast....Run chain a little loose, this will help if you start to impact mud around the sprockets, causing the chain to bind. If it is really bad, be prepared to toss the entire drive system in the crapper after the race. It will be trashed!

Air Filter - Oil as normal- I have put panty hose over the top of my airbox before, this stuff is great, blocks mud, due to being very dense works really well as a "pre filter" only allowing water through that may splash up in this area, but if you have foamed the surrounding area it will help.

Suspension - I approach this like a sand race......I will stiffen up the clickers. Your bike is already heavy, and 2 hours of hare scramble mud is going to make it even heavier, this effecting you handling and suspension, stiffin it up a bit. More than likey the speeds will be slower, so some of those big hits might feel like your too stiff, but add on 15-25 pounds of mud, weight gear and it will be about right....

Attitude - Smooth is fast! If you hate being wet and cold it will mess with your attitude towards this race. Be positive..... Other guys will show up with jackets, vests and trash bags, there already behind the curve. Show up for the dead engine start just like any other race, your there to kick butt and bring home the bacon! The other guys are trying to stay dry and warm?? It is going to be raining and muddy...what are they thinking...it's a trail ride? Dress for vistory!!!

Be Creative - Don't follow the guy in front of you, look for different lines, following = roost = mud = blind goggles! You only have about 100-150 pulls on your roll off, you only have so many tear off! You gotta think smart, be smart and use alternate line selections. Look ahead, watch others going through puddles, if they are being mired in the mud, find a different line, deep puddles can swallow up a bike, carb vents can suck water, mud can impact a chain = broken chain =DNF. I have even put panty hose over my front fender before since this is where mud will collect big time, but, if you soak up or bottom out the forks, the tire will tear it and render it no good.

Everyone has different idea's, WD40 under the fender, Pam Cooking spary the entire bike, I've never really had any real luck with those tricks. I like to focus on the preservation of the bike to last the entire event.

Most of all have fun and WIN!
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 12-07-2013, 01:18 AM

It seems like 90% of our races are cold and wet over here! I don't do anything special, keep warm before the start, let a little air out of the tyres, spare goggles and gloves in the pits.

My season starts up again in February and it has been as low as -8 degs!
You wont notice it once you are on the bike. This year I did notice it as the contents of my camelbak emptied all over my chest and crotch!!

PS normal MX gear, don't wear a jacket or you will over heat pretty quick.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:27 AM

These pics are from an August race!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blewbury Aug 2011 011.jpg (128.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Blewbury Aug 2011 004.jpg (126.8 KB, 19 views)