Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:00 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Ever since I saw the first 4T 250F motors in a GG frame, and then the Yamaha YZ450F "dressed" as a GG, I have suspected that Yamaha has a financial interest in GG. No proof, but I am just saying. Who funded the development of the new bikes?

10 years ago, everyone made fun of Korean cars. If you look at who is kicking butt now in the automotive arena, it is the Koreans. Who has killed Sony? Samsung.

India and China might be low quality now, but that doesn't mean that they can't become high quality in the future. It depends on where they see the revenue.

BTW, I ride old (1971 and 1978) BMWs, not just because they are BMWs (I did buy them for those reasons, but that was 30 years ago), but because i can't find a modern street bike that does it for me. My buddy spend $23K on a Ducati Multi-strada, and the thing toasted its tranny at 500 miles. My $1500 BMWs (at the time) have never left me stranded.

Part of it is the roll of the dice. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:21 AM

Same could be said for the Japaneese even before that, but they came in with a good, cheap product in basically an open market. Hyuandis are excellent cars, my wife's Sante Fe went 120K on just routine brake replacements, much better than its replacement Nissan Pathfinder and certainly better than any domestic we have had. Bikes are different though and the market is different, while Hyuandi is good the Korean Hyosung(sp?) is not doing nearly as well.

Ducatis are money pits. I loved mine and it was trouble free, but when its time to buy parts its just absurd. I rode mine a lot and racked up the miles so I was facing this reality. Thats the main reason I sold it, and why you see a lot of Ducatis for sale before the warranty is up. I'd love to have another big motard bike like that for sure, it fit me perfect and did everything I needed well. Just something more affordable over the long haul.

The other thing with new street bikes is they run so lean and hot stock that you are forced to do something about it with mapping, exhaust, etc. This heat is what will contribute to a lot of issues. Its more of a hassle than setting up a new dirt bike.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz11 View Post
Ever since I saw the first 4T 250F motors in a GG frame, and then the Yamaha YZ450F "dressed" as a GG, I have suspected that Yamaha has a financial interest in GG. No proof, but I am just saying. Who funded the development of the new bikes?

10 years ago, everyone made fun of Korean cars. If you look at who is kicking butt now in the automotive arena, it is the Koreans. Who has killed Sony? Samsung.

India and China might be low quality now, but that doesn't mean that they can't become high quality in the future. It depends on where they see the revenue.

BTW, I ride old (1971 and 1978) BMWs, not just because they are BMWs (I did buy them for those reasons, but that was 30 years ago), but because i can't find a modern street bike that does it for me. My buddy spend $23K on a Ducati Multi-strada, and the thing toasted its tranny at 500 miles. My $1500 BMWs (at the time) have never left me stranded.

Part of it is the roll of the dice. Maybe I've just been lucky.
I think the Yamaha/GG venture is much like the Honda/Montesa trials deal. I know one thing for sure, I will definitely not buy a mc from India, China or Korea. I don't care if KTM Austria does bring the Indian Dukes into their factory for qc purposes, I'm not convinced that KTM Austria knows a defect when they see one....I have not been a big fan of KTM for awhile now due to all the past problems, i.e. gas caps, paper thin expansion chambers, broken header manifolds etc. I never liked the PDS linkless setup. And each year KTM sells more and more bikes and each year there is a longer list of defects. No thank you.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:38 AM
Banned

I don't know but I don't believe that Yamaha has any financial interest in Gas Gas. I have had a ton of conversations with GG about Yamaha and they never talk about Yamaha in any way that would suggest a partnership of any kind. I was told that, after Yamaha dumped all of those '06 250F motors, that they did not want to do business with Gas Gas anymore. They finally agreed but raised the price almost $1000 and demanded that they not be sold in the US. That does not sound like a partnership.
As to who funded the development on the new bikes.....Gas Gas did.
You guys think too much!!!!!
Old 04-13-2012, 10:04 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

So Yamaha made them buy their Dakar bike?

http://www.gasgasmotos.es/en/news/22...acing-the.html

Yeah, I should think less, and ride more. I think i'd be way happier if i did.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:14 AM

The 690 production line after 2012 was stated to be moving to india.. so there has been a rush on buying all the 690's up.. nobody wants to get stuck with a 2013.. and the Duke 125, and they have a 350 duke also, idea made, a new duke off the 690 platform planned and rumor has it the new adv line on the twin 800cc bike will be made there also..
03 KTM 625 sxc-rehab unit-did its job and now gone
03 GG 250 ec-gone
97 GG 250 ec Gone
Old 04-14-2012, 09:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz11 View Post
So Yamaha made them buy their Dakar bike?

http://www.gasgasmotos.es/en/news/22...acing-the.html

Yeah, I should think less, and ride more. I think i'd be way happier if i did.
Think about the turmoil in the GG factory in November and December due to the problems with the airbox. I don't think there was any way they would have had time to build a Gas Gas with a Yamaha engine before Dakar. It was much easier to buy a Yamaha at that point. Next year, if they do Dakar again, I'm sure it will be on a production GG with the Yamaha engine.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:38 PM

I would rather see a production GG with a production GG engine.. just saying...
03 KTM 625 sxc-rehab unit-did its job and now gone
03 GG 250 ec-gone
97 GG 250 ec Gone
Old 04-14-2012, 05:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
I would rather see a production GG with a production GG engine.. just saying...
Me, too! Then we could sell them here in the US.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:36 PM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Same could be said for the Japaneese even before that, but they came in with a good, cheap product in basically an open market. Hyuandis are excellent cars, my wife's Sante Fe went 120K on just routine brake replacements, much better than its replacement Nissan Pathfinder and certainly better than any domestic we have had. Bikes are different though and the market is different, while Hyuandi is good the Korean Hyosung(sp?) is not doing nearly as well.

Ducatis are money pits. I loved mine and it was trouble free, but when its time to buy parts its just absurd. I rode mine a lot and racked up the miles so I was facing this reality. Thats the main reason I sold it, and why you see a lot of Ducatis for sale before the warranty is up. I'd love to have another big motard bike like that for sure, it fit me perfect and did everything I needed well. Just something more affordable over the long haul.

The other thing with new street bikes is they run so lean and hot stock that you are forced to do something about it with mapping, exhaust, etc. This heat is what will contribute to a lot of issues. Its more of a hassle than setting up a new dirt bike.
I was going to say when the term asain comes up it means different things. Chinese means cheap copies. Korean more and more means quality. Japanese definalty means quality. So what does India mean? Well the jury is out on that. But given where they have taken Rover and Jag it looks like it might be very good. Also every Japanese mfg has a relationship with India. Most having them produce units for the domestic market in India. Personally I think India is the next Asian giant and not China. They show a flair for engineering that the Chinese can't seem to muster. There is change coming to the European motorcycle market. If you have not seen it yet VW is getting ready to buy Ducati. Some pretty deep pockets out there now involved.