Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:25 AM

Default NY Registration for GasGas

I bought a left over 2005 GasGas EC250 last spring. I wanted to get a street plate since I do have the street legal kit with it. I probably would never ride it on the street except in Enduros. I also heard that they are worth more with the street plate. I went to the DMV today and forgot that it needed to be inspected first. The dealer of course never inspected it, he said if I put all the street legal stuff on it he might inspect it, but I would also need to get street tires too Should I just get a trail plate for it and be done with it? Is it really worth the hassle to get a street plate? If I did that would anyone be interested in buying the street legal stuff (turn signals, mirrors, wiring harness, etc.). How much would this stuff be worth? I'm keeping the heavy flywheel and heavier lighting stator though (2K3, I think it is).

Old 02-13-2009, 11:27 AM

Is it worth it? .... Depends. If you can afford the expense and time I'd say go for it.
For street tires, I guess the dealer means DOT tires. Lots of them avail.

In Calif. it makes a world of difference if it has a plate. Older bikes can no longer be plated. If it was plated before 2004, it's good. After that, your out of luck.

I bought my used 2004 FSE450 primarily because it was plated. At that time I was looking at new Betas and KTMs. But, I bought the GasGas because It had a plate and I thought it was a better bike. However, if it wasn't plated I just wouldn't have bought it. I've seen some other 2004s that were Calif. plated but nothing newer.

Maybe that has something to do with the demise of Calif. GasGas dealers.

In states where it's easy to plate Enduros, a plate doesn't put a premium on the bike, in Calif. it makes a big difference.

Tony
Old 02-13-2009, 12:45 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Get the DOT tires and get the plate. My bike would be worthless if it didn't have a plate because I'd have no place to ride.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:27 PM

My bike is a 2005, but it's brand new. Is that year going to be a problem getting it registered? I hate to spend the money on tires and go to all the work of putting all the street legal stuff on and then still not get the street legal plate.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:45 PM

Like I said previously, each state is different. I would suggest starting with your dealer to see if it can be plated by just putting the stuff on and having his approved inspection. For lots of states, that's all that's required. Also go online and check with the N.Y. dmv to see what they require. If still not sure, go to you local DMV and ask.

Like EFF said, without a plate.... could be worthless.

I plan on buying a newer GG at some point in time. It wont be plated. So It will be cheaper than the one I have and, regardless of it's condition, I'll just be using it for parts to keep my 04 running.

Tony
Old 02-13-2009, 02:21 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerash View Post
My bike is a 2005, but it's brand new. Is that year going to be a problem getting it registered? I hate to spend the money on tires and go to all the work of putting all the street legal stuff on and then still not get the street legal plate.

Look at your MSO. It should not state "Off-Road Use Only". I know other GG have been registering in NY.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:01 AM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerash View Post
I bought a left over 2005 GasGas EC250 last spring. I wanted to get a street plate since I do have the street legal kit with it. I probably would never ride it on the street except in Enduros. I also heard that they are worth more with the street plate. I went to the DMV today and forgot that it needed to be inspected first. The dealer of course never inspected it, he said if I put all the street legal stuff on it he might inspect it, but I would also need to get street tires too Should I just get a trail plate for it and be done with it? Is it really worth the hassle to get a street plate? If I did that would anyone be interested in buying the street legal stuff (turn signals, mirrors, wiring harness, etc.). How much would this stuff be worth? I'm keeping the heavy flywheel and heavier lighting stator though (2K3, I think it is).
NOTE THE LESS YOU SAY THE BETTER OFF YOU ARE, WE HAVE REG. MANY AND THE ONLY THING THEY ASKED FOR WAS MV-50 FORM IF YOU HAVE THAT YOU SHOULD BE FINE BUT WHEN THEY SAY INSPECTED THEY ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT AN INSPECTION STICKER THEY MEAN BRING IT TO THEM SO THEY CAN INSPECT IT. THAT IS A HUGE HEADACHE AND MANY MONTHS OF WAITING FOR THEM TO JUST SAY NO. IF YOU HAVE MV-50 FORM GO TO ANOTHER DMV AND TELL THEM YOU WOULD LIKE TO REG. THE BIKE. REMEMBER THE LESS YOU SAY THE BETTER YOU ARE. GOOD LUCK