Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 06-28-2010, 09:41 AM

Default Proper way to flush engine oil?

Anybody know how to properly flush a 4-stroke Gasser engine oil? I was told to just get a few bottles of cheap 10w oil and pour them in to drain it out and replace/clean oil filter. Should I leave the oil stop bolts out or tighten them in, start engine and let idle for a minute, and then drain?

Thanks for help!

Crankin04

Old 06-28-2010, 07:04 PM

since nobody will take a try at this I will. If you're just trying to flush (old gunky oil) ATF is excellent for that purpose because it is a high detergent oil. In a car you might add 1qt before an oil change and drive it for 20 minutes before changing oil. In your case I would probably mix 50/50 and run it gently around the property until it warms up (10 minutes?) with no heavy loads and then immediately drain it.
The down-side is that high detergent oils can loosen up the small stuff that can clog up minuscule oil passages (like hydraulic lifters in the automotive world). I'm not sure if there is anything that could get damaged like that on a GG 4T, maybe a hydraulic timing chain tensioner?
What's up that you feel you need to flush the engine case?

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)
Old 06-28-2010, 09:14 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

If you are flushing because of water contamination (drowned bike or sucked in water through breather) what i have been using for a while is to drain the milky oil, and replace it with paraffin, ride the bike up and down the road (gently) and drain out the paraffin then just add your normal oil and you good to go. If you a bit concerned about the little paraffin in the oil you can change the oil sooner than you would normally, but the dilution is so minimal there should be no difference.

Before i got told about this i used to try to flush out with cheap engine oil, but it would take about 3 attempts for the oil to stop being milky/grey

Have also heard of using ATF and i know that there are loads of guys who swear by it instead of engine oil. It is also thinner so should flush out similar to the paraffin
Old 06-30-2010, 04:36 PM

Is there another term for "paraffin"? I am not familiar with that in the US except used to describe candle wax, I'm sure that is not the same thing. I have seen this term before and am curious.

Thanks!

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
Old 06-30-2010, 08:41 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

I think it is kerosene in the US. basically the stuff you put in lanterns and hurricane lamps. It has similar properties to diesel, i suppose you could also use diesel.

Definitely not the wax! haha hope you have not been trying to stuff a litre of parrafin wax in your engine and cursing that crazy african!!

You only ride the bike with it in for a minute or so, just to mix the water and kerosene up, and drain it before it separates again
Old 07-01-2010, 05:46 AM

OK, makes sense now. Thanks!

'00 XC250 (mine)
'04 EC250 (the kids)
Old 07-01-2010, 02:23 PM

when drain the oil, tilt the moto to both sideways. You will find more oil to be drained.
Brasil!
Old 07-02-2010, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankin04 View Post
Anybody know how to properly flush a 4-stroke Gasser engine oil? I was told to just get a few bottles of cheap 10w oil and pour them in to drain it out and replace/clean oil filter. Should I leave the oil stop bolts out or tighten them in, start engine and let idle for a minute, and then drain?

Thanks for help!

Crankin04
remove the oil filter and dont replace it until you are goin to put in the good stuff, i would only put in a proper motorcycle oil just buy a cheaper standard name brand mineral oil, after one flush or possiably two, everything will be fine
Old 07-02-2010, 09:44 AM

What about proper flushing oil? Is it bad on bikes?
Old 07-03-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancp5 View Post
What about proper flushing oil? Is it bad on bikes?
never heard of it, the water in the oil will disperse with heat into the fresh motor oil and thru the engine breather tubes, after one /two changes it will ok, you dont want to put anything other than engine oil in there because you cant get everything out, all engine oils mineral or syn are compatable with each other i doubt if other type of liquids are and the last thing you want to do is stuff up your clutch or bearing just to get excess moisture out your engine oil.