Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:58 AM

Default Euro Kiskstand fix???

OH! here I go again.

I just don't like Euro kickstands. I didn't like the stand on my Husky and I don't like the stand on my FSE any better. Up side to the Euro stand as I can see it is....sit on the bike tilt it upright and the stand just lifts right up. This avoids the requirement for having a sensor so the engine shuts off if you put the bike in gear with the stand down. Down side... depending on what your wearing and how your sitting it could, and has, popped into my pants leg. Getting it out...now thats a real balance problem if you weren't expecting it to happen. Another down side...pushing it down getting off the bike and just as your ready to step off the stand pops back up. Hopefully, your still holding the bike up and it doesn't just fall over. Gotta love the balance of the bike on those occasions though. It happened to me a few times when I first got the bike. My first thought as I righted the bike back up with one hand on the bike and one foot up in the air was, if this was my DRZ, me and the DRZ would be laying on the ground now.

If that kind of stand was on a car in the USA, the stand would be on the national recall list because of its safety hazard.

I just want a standard Japanese stand for my FSE. One that when you push it down, it stays down until you manually lift it back up.

So, anyone find a substitute stand for the FSE? or, has anyone modified their stand so it doesn't pop up unannounced? Seems like any easy enough fix. Just remount the spring location.

But, mostly, I really like my FSE.

Thank you very much,

Tony

Old 11-26-2008, 12:32 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

G'day Cal,
I read about a fix on this forum not too long ago . A blokes brother worked it out. You get a chain link, enlarge one hole and then mount that under the forward most stand mounting bolt.
Then struggle like hell and pull the springs to the loop in the other side of the chain link which is hanging out the side of the bolt.
The springs do reach but it is a struggle. You will now find stand acts like a normal stand as spring mounting point is located infront of stand pivot.
Good luck and all the best..... This works a treat on my 07 Ec300.
Cheers Mark.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:11 PM

A spring puller would be much easier.
Lifes journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting holy cow what a ride !!!!
Old 11-26-2008, 11:47 PM

Remove the kick stand ....
there is a bushing that goes inside the bolt hole. It is there so you can crank down on the bolt and the bolt will not crunch down on the kick stand. Grind down this bushing enough so the kick stand bolt actually does crunch down on the kick stand. crank down on kick stand bolt enough so that it does not let the kick stand fly up without you puttng your foot to it. ta da done.at least that is the way it worked on my 06 300.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:48 PM

Its covered here:

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8
Old 11-27-2008, 07:34 AM

Or here as well

http://www.scottysdirtbikespares.com...stand-fix.html
Old 11-28-2008, 09:38 AM

Thanks to all especially for the pictures

Tony
Old 12-30-2008, 09:33 PM

It's been a couple of months since I asked about how to change the Euro stand.
I knew the spring had to be moved but I originally missed Matt's sticky on how to do it. But, it's been done for a couple of weeks now and I still go out and tilt the bike by the seat for no other reason to watch the kickstand stay in place without popping up.

I've been doing a lot to my GG lately, but nothing has given me more satisfaction than that simple pop up fix.

Tony
Old 12-31-2008, 11:25 AM

I'm so used to that stand now. It has one benefit - I was away from my bike at race control and some guy decided to lift it to sit on it (grrrrr). He was wearing shorts. He was standing kickstand side.

The mark was deep, and bleeding. I told him that Gas Gas's bite when people touch without asking!