Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:14 PM

Default Cut the swingarm brake standoff????

Oh, I don't know at all. Three times I had the hacksaw in my hand and I was about to saw off the outermost part of the swingarm brake standoff. What I'm talking about is that part of it that is just past the indented section. It is designed to keep the brake bracket and caliper attached to the swingarm when the wheel is off. But, since I mounted a black SM wheel to the bike, getting it on and off without removing the caliper bracket is impossible. And removing the bracket with the 5" rear wheel is a pain. And even worse, sliding the caliper bracket forward to have the hole section slide over the swingarm standoff keeps scratching my wheel.

So, if I cut standoff flush with the end of the flat part, will I live to regret it.

I just thought I'd ask before I did it.

Tony

Old 12-15-2008, 06:58 PM

If you do F-it up. I think I have a spare OEM caliper carrier to replace
yours. I installed the Scott rear shark fin on my EC300 and doubt
I'll need the old bracket.
Remember what they say. "Measure twice, cut once."
Cheers , Jeff So.Cal.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Do not saw off the peg attached to the swingarm. This peg keeps the brake carrier from rotating during braking. Yes, the carrier is clamped by the axle but under braking loads, the caliper clamping the rotor needs rotational resistance. The peg on the swingarm provides this resistance.

Regarding the SM wheel issue...
On my Husky SM610, I have the same issue when removing the wheel. What I do is remove the axle and slide the wheel & brake caliper fully foward, then remove the chain and unhook the caliper from the swingarm peg. Let the brake hang outside of the swingarm and remove the wheel.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:30 PM

Matt I wasn't going to cut the whole thing off. I just meant the end bulb past the flat part. The rest of it would still be there.

Tony
Old 12-16-2008, 02:46 PM

Cut the bulb, drill and make a tread to bolt a big chim!

i am in Brazil, so if you crash, you canĀ“t process me. Take care!
Brasil!
Old 12-16-2008, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_tony View Post
Matt I wasn't going to cut the whole thing off. I just meant the end bulb past the flat part. The rest of it would still be there.

Tony
As long as you leave the main peg, then it would probably work. If it were "me", I would just use my removal technique and leave the peg alone. Yes, the SM wheel is wide but it can slide forward and you can get the brake off of the peg, then remove the wheel. My previous Yamaha FZ6 streetbike was the same way... I guess it is all fat tire bikes since the caliper is inboard of the tire width. Good luck if you proceed with cutting... just remember swingarms are pricey if you mess up.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:45 PM

Thanks for your concern Matt. It made me look at the peg on and off all day today while I was working on seeing if I could fit my LC4 cush hub and wheel to the GG. It will also fit, but I think it would be more trouble than it's worth. The DRZ SM wheel fits fine but not much extra room there.

Anyway, I left the post in as I intended, but I did saw off the round protrusion at the end. Works much better. Now, with that protrusion gone, I can remove the carrier from the swingarm anywhere along the slot in the carrier without sliding the carrier forward to where the round hole on the carrier is.

Thanks,
Tony
Old 12-17-2008, 07:04 PM

When are we going to get to see some pictures of this beast
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 12-17-2008, 08:57 PM

Rick,
Will have some pictures soon. I did get the DRZ SM wheel fitted. I still haven't received the 36T rear sprocket for it, but it should help with the top end.

Next on the list is fitting some KTM wheels to the front. A 21 came in today from Ebay. I don't have the right bearings or spacers for it yet, but it will definitely fit without any problems. The KTM front uses 30mm bearings with spacers that size it down to 26.05mm. That's a pain because the GG needs 25mm. So, I will be going with 25mm x 47mm bearings and Honda 450 CRF rear spacers and their internal distance spacer(all 25mm). Once I get it all sized up, I'll use the same setup on my new KTM 17" SM wheel.

Tony
Old 12-18-2008, 03:50 PM

Why not just get a set on SM hubs for the GasGas?? It seems like a bolt on project....but then again, that would take all the fun out of it.
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals