Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 02-26-2019, 02:14 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wypipo View Post
Also will replacing the bearings be a permanent fix? Or will it eventually go back to the way it is now? Everything was brand new when I bought the bike so it seems to me like replacing these bearings will just make it brand new again but the same shitty design, so what is different after replacing them to stop it from seizing again?
Search the interwebs on ktm starters.. You'll be swamped.. It's all the same shitty design... on theirs, and on the gassers.

You haven't specifically said how it fails.. or if you have I have missed it.

Is it binding and not turning the engine over? is it turning over but not firing?

Old 02-26-2019, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Also will replacing the bearings be a permanent fix? Or will it eventually go back to the way it is now? Everything was brand new when I bought the bike so it seems to me like replacing these bearings will just make it brand new again but the same shitty design, so what is different after replacing them to stop it from seizing again?
I think GG got some slightly out of spec bearings from their supplier or something else is out of spec. Anyway, it seems those that have replaced the bearings have had good luck so far but only time will tell.
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220
Old 02-26-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
Search the interwebs on ktm starters.. You'll be swamped.. It's all the same shitty design... on theirs, and on the gassers.

You haven't specifically said how it fails.. or if you have I have missed it.

Is it binding and not turning the engine over? is it turning over but not firing?
When cold it will bind and make the high pitch whining noise.
sometimes it will spin but not fire.
It will never start when cold.
It will never start when hot if its in gear
it only starts when hot if I kill it and immediately restart and in neutral. If I kill it and wait a couple minutes it wont start. if I kill it in gear and try to restart immediately it wont start.
It also wont start on the first kick anymore, now it takes 2 or sometimes 3 kicks. When I first got the bike it would start on the first kick. This is not a big deal but wondering if this could be related in any way.

This is really bumming me out. The bike is amazing everywhere else but this starter is getting frustrating. I was told by a rep and a dealer before I bought the bike that it would be fine with the new CDI and cables, but it seems the problem goes way beyond that. its too bad GasGas wont do more about the issue other than reflashing the CDI and giving you one cable then leaving the rest up to you. Ive been very vocal about how great this bike is but its getting hard when realizing how in depth the starter issue is.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS109 View Post
I think GG got some slightly out of spec bearings from their supplier or something else is out of spec. Anyway, it seems those that have replaced the bearings have had good luck so far but only time will tell.
I found replacement bearings online using the OEM parts finder. So I will be replacing the bearings with the same bearings that are new?
Are there replacement parts that are upgraded for the proper fit?
Basically im having a hard time figuring out why I would replace parts that are only 20 hours old with the same parts and expecting the problem to be fixed.
Sounds like it will be a revolving door of replacing parts if im expecting the starter to keep working.

What can I do different and what different parts can I get to actually solve the problem?
Old 02-26-2019, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

Have you tried changing the battery to a gel mat?
Old 02-26-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
I found replacement bearings online using the OEM parts finder. So I will be replacing the bearings with the same bearings that are new?
Are there replacement parts that are upgraded for the proper fit?
Basically im having a hard time figuring out why I would replace parts that are only 20 hours old with the same parts and expecting the problem to be fixed.
Sounds like it will be a revolving door of replacing parts if im expecting the starter to keep working.

What can I do different and what different parts can I get to actually solve the problem?
Like I said, sometimes companies get out of spec parts from a supplier. GG doesn't make bearings so they buy them from a bearing manufacturer and even the best sometimes lets a bad batch get out. The bearings might be common so you would need to cross reference them and see if there is an ever higher quality version available through a bearing house.

Do the bench testing and inspection before just replacing parts and see what you find out.
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220
Old 02-26-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS109 View Post
Like I said, sometimes companies get out of spec parts from a supplier. GG doesn't make bearings so they buy them from a bearing manufacturer and even the best sometimes lets a bad batch get out. The bearings might be common so you would need to cross reference them and see if there is an ever higher quality version available through a bearing house.

Do the bench testing and inspection before just replacing parts and see what you find out.
Do I need to pull the bendix cover off for any reason to remove and reinstall the starter? Just wondering so I can order a gasket if I need to.

Jakobi - no the only battery I have tried is a shorai 210 CCA
Old 02-26-2019, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

I've been told that a gel mat has cured a couple bikes that had similar issues on the stock batteries..

Could be something to it..
Old 02-26-2019, 07:01 PM

I honestly don't know if you need to pull the bendix cover. I know I would order all the gaskets (or make your own) because i would be pulling the whole system apart and inspecting all aspects of it.
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220
Old 02-27-2019, 01:22 AM

No need to pull any covers.

Just remove the two screws, remove the starter cover and pull back.

I had the same problem with my bike and my 2 cents goes to the starter.

Video with the original starter (the whining noise doesn?t sound so well, but it?s there):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wounhilbgd..._0024.MOV?dl=0

So nothing happening, just noises...

Then I got a new start from importers demo-bike...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fa69lj3msy..._0027.MOV?dl=0

Spins and starts way better than on the first day.

So my guess is that based on your description it doesn?t help if you change the bearings, you?ll end up with the same problem, with new bearings.

Just for info, I had the CDI done, uprated battery done, cables done ?> no help. Starter done ?> yahoo!!!