Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:37 PM

Default on another note....

Just got my May 2015 Dirt Bike Magazine & there is a write up on the 2015 EC300 with Geoff Aaron aboard...... They still think it's heavy but did admit that the weight helps keep it online...Wasn't a total slam like the last I read a while back......The yeah, yeah, yeah list was longer than the no, no, no list for a change
I looked for an online link but couldn't find one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2270.jpg (130.5 KB, 40 views)

2006 GasGas EC250-Sold to a good home
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro

Old 04-17-2015, 10:12 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1956 View Post
Just got my May 2015 Dirt Bike Magazine & there is a write up on the 2015 EC300 with Geoff Aaron aboard...... They still think it's heavy but did admit that the weight helps keep it online...Wasn't a total slam like the last I read a while back......The yeah, yeah, yeah list was longer than the no, no, no list for a change
I looked for an online link but couldn't find one
Thanks for bringing something positive here Fred.

Yes, the "test" was much better than what happened from another publication a couple of years ago. Then again... the bike is much improved! There will also be a "race bike" test later on, so keep any eye out for that issue.

Chris at Dirt Bike also reported this week, the 300 video has now been viewed by 15,269 people within 60 days of it being posted on their website. That is HUGE!

http://dirtbikemagazine.com/home-fea...gas-gas-xc300e
Old 04-19-2015, 07:41 AM
Banned

That was the first obviously positive article I've read about GG in an American rag. I like how they said it was heavy but then put a positive spin on it. Not like they used to do. Amazing what a few advertising dollars will do.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:15 AM

Default Heavy GG

The Baja Trophy Truck racing fabricators also debate about light vs heavy... Some try to shave weight everywhere they can, others don't...so if you build a lighter truck it all sounds better initially but lighter at trophy truck speeds (read: 100-140 MPH) causes it's own set of problems...So some of the big names are not trying to shave weight, yet they are still winning...I think it's the same with bikes...I'm no engineer, but the more I ride the more I realize my bike needs to be heavier than me, or at least the majority of the mass be LOW on the bike, especially in deep sand and prolonged chop... If I'm heavier than my bike, then the majority of the mass of weight is above the bike, and seems more difficult to control in certain conditions.

Riding a KTM300 or KDX220 (lighter bikes) over rocky terrain the bike bounces all around and gets deflected easily by sand ruts or rocks. More difficult to keep on line. Then ride my gasser and it seems much more stable/planted. Almost like a 4T but with the bulk of the mass lower on the bike.

What do you guys think?

The only time I wish my gasser was lighter is when I have to pick it up LOL.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:52 PM

I agree 100% with what you are saying.The 86-87 Honda CR 250 was very light.I think about 209 lbs.They were light and more danced-skipped through fast rocky terrain in 5th gear wideopen.And at about 50-55 before you got to wide open she would shake her head hard enough to get your attention.Some guys wouldnt ride them after a nasty headshake.Some of us loved it.
The payoff was everywhere else.They turned themselves, you could rip them down steep techinal sections, they would launch with a blip of the thottle and they loved topping steep cliff type climbs. And When you bit off more then you could chew and ended up with a bike in your lap or had it come looking for you while you both tumbled down the hill better 200 pounds then 250.

I think it comes down to what you like to ride.Heavier with more rake and wheelbase with that huge gasser motor slung low is gonna give you high speed stability.But you will pay for it if you wanna zip through tight woods, and tackle quick steep technical climbs where you dont have any runnup.If you like to be on the gas instead of the brakes on steep technical downhiills you will suffer there too.

I dont think you can have it all.Not on any bike Ive ever ridden at least.Their is always ? trade off.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:21 PM

Rode a new ktm 300 today. I have a gas gas 14 300. The gas has nicer bottom end and a more stable feel. The ktm was a rocket and had more mid top end but was a bit more nervous. I could feel the lightness of the ktm compared to gas gas but I found it a tad trickier to ride in the chop. My gas felt more planted but I didn't get a chance to play with the ktm clickers. The over rev on the ktm is very MX like.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95jersey View Post
Rode a new ktm 300 today. I have a gas gas 14 300. The gas has nicer bottom end and a more stable feel. The ktm was a rocket and had more mid top end but was a bit more nervous. I could feel the lightness of the ktm compared to gas gas but I found it a tad trickier to ride in the chop. My gas felt more planted but I didn't get a chance to play with the ktm clickers. The over rev on the ktm is very MX like.
True very true, last sunday was our last enduro race of the AMRA series. It is a true rock fest on the trails. Up a rolling, rocky hill I caught two ktm's that were bouncing all over and my gasgas rolled right on by them steady, well as a rock!

It is a trade off having a slightly heavier bike, but I will take that anytime.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:23 PM

I weighed my 2014 xr300 (no estart) when I got it. Had about 1/2 tank of gas and tipped the scales at 246. Assume it had about a gallon in it and you're at 238 wet with no gas. Pretty sure the 300 EXC is 234 wet so I don't get the whole "heavy" thing. Older models were maybe 245 wet, even that isn't too much different, I doubt most riders could notice it picking it up.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemetal2 View Post
I weighed my 2014 xr300 (no estart) when I got it. Had about 1/2 tank of gas and tipped the scales at 246. Assume it had about a gallon in it and you're at 238 wet with no gas. Pretty sure the 300 EXC is 234 wet so I don't get the whole "heavy" thing. Older models were maybe 245 wet, even that isn't too much different, I doubt most riders could notice it picking it up.
My 2013 300E feels completely normal on the trail but I'm just a rec rider and not pushing any boundries. I've no complaints whatsoever about how this motorcycle functions. Some may be more sensitive to it than others. I'm just glad I didn't pass by on this bike based on its weight. Would have been my loss.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:10 PM

I just now walked out and weighed my 2011 300r with a full tank of fuel, factory skid plate, 120/80-18 Dunlop mx51 rear, 90/100-21 GoldenTyre GT216 "fat tire" and acerbis rally pro handguards and she tipped the scales at 261! My buddies 2015 KTM 300xc-w sitting right next to it with Dunlop AT81 tires front and rear, factory skid plate, and Cycra handguards, and full tank of fuel weighed in at 242lbs. Thats 19lbs. difference. Pick it up of the ground and the extra 19 lbs over a new KTM and you will know its there. That being said I wouldnt trade him even if he had money to throw in the deal. I hate the frame geometry of a KTM. They are so twitchy.