Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > Other Bikes... > All Other Bikes...

All Other Bikes... KTM, Husky, VOR, Husaberg & Hondayamazuki...

Old 09-27-2015, 09:28 PM

One thing that is very nice about the YZ250X is the aftermarket support available. The YZ250 has been around so long, and has been so popular that almost every part of the bike can be replaced with an a/m part. That is something that adds value to the bike. Want a blingy colored front brake cyclinder cover? A cutsie colored chain roller? Frame guards? Different triple clamp with offset? All possible with a YZ250/YZ250X. I wish I could customize my GG300 like that.

Go ahead and get one, Memphis. White with black rims, black with white rims, heck make the bike purple and yellow with green polka dots. I hope the YZ250X sells in enough numbers that the other Japanese manufactures realize there is value in building and selling bikes for the enduro/offroad market, versus just moto-x bikes. While KTM may make some good bikes, I think a good portion of their success and dominance in offroad circles is due to the abject neglect of the Japanese manufacturers making bikes for that segment.

Conversely, if Kaw/Suz/Hon made more offroad models, that will make it tough for GG selling bikes in that market. Humphhhh, just can't win for losing, GG!

Old 09-27-2015, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoby View Post
Saw one at the races this weekend Guy said he loved it Coming off a cr250 he said loved the low end and smoothness Paid $6900 for it too
Tough to beat that price on a new bike. I can't see spending 8000+ on a euro if the Japanese can give us something that is comparable or better.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:17 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Down this side of the planet most Yamaha dealers have been selling WR converted yz's by fitting a WR gearbox,weighted flywheel long range tank, 18" wheel and suspension mods. Maybe the sales figures have made it back to Japan
I tested one before getting my GG and it was nice but still a motocross bike at heart. Even with the weighted flywheel it still tended to rev up too quickly and lose traction- it sounds like this will be closer to a roots up enduro bike than a converted mx bike
Old 09-28-2015, 04:42 AM
Super Moderator

I'm interested to see what valving they have opted to use in the 250X (forks and shock), although there is a load of information available regarding setting these up anyway.. more knowledge is always better. Particularly as a package with spring rates, ICS, etc.

The bike as a whole probably won't do so well in the Australian market place. Registration is a requirement for most states, with only one offering a concessional recreational rego. Everything else needs to pass ADR compliance, which cuts the options back to GG, KTM, Husky (old/new), Husaberg, or Sherco if you want a 2 stroke you can legally get around on.

Closed course and racing is a different kettle of fish, but where I am the race scene is non existent (other than MX).