Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > Other Bikes... > All Other Bikes...

All Other Bikes... KTM, Husky, VOR, Husaberg & Hondayamazuki...

Old 10-02-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
Add in one that can be registered in other countries and you'd be laughing. I know when I decided it was time to step up from my Blue 250F to a 2T my options were either ktm/gas gas, unless if I didn't want a registerable bike.
You're spot on with that.

Where I live, a road plate is essential to link up the forest tracts as the gov't won't allow for any exception for dirt bikes on secondary roads. To boot, every bike here has to be off-road plated and insured, even to ride on any land that you do not own. Welcome to the Bureaucratic Republic of Ontario!

They won't allow off-road registered bikes to be road plated, even if you put on all the doodads and get it certified by a mechanic, and swear an affidavit in accordance with the laws and regulations. It's an administrative decree by the MTO (Ministry of Transportion of Ontario) which would not survive a court challenge. But who's got the time and money to go down that road?

I digress ...

The niche Euro bikes, and even the KTMs, have different paperwork, and if done discreetly and correctly, can be road plated here. Like they say, necessity is the mother of invention.

We'll never be able to squeak a Jap bike through our registration system. Even so, it would be a nice option for an XC race bike.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP4 View Post
I agree. I don't get why Yamaha hasn't bothered to make a version of the YZ250 into a competition off-road bike - bigger tank, six speed tranny, 18" rear wheel, off-road valved suspension, and maybe even a stator and lights? It seems a no-brainer. Not like it would eat into the WR450 sales, as I don't see any of those in woods or at the races.

I've never understood why the Japanese manufacturers have completely given up on the competition off-road bike segment. KTM has filled the vacuum, and it's opened the door for the smaller European brands. Is the market so small that the Japanese manufacturers just can't be bothered?
A yama rep explained it to me a few years back and it has to do more with EPA and the max allowable emissions that can imported. Say if the max was 10,000 and each bike imported represents 500 of that 10,000. Once they hit that max they cannot bring any more over. If they sell more 4 strokes then you can see the slow demise of 2 strokes the EPA caused. That is also considering all the street bikes the Asian market produces and imports to. So you can see why KTM can bring over so many off-road bikes, cause there street market is so little compared against the Asian street bike market. Wether that is true or he was talking out his butt? It seemed to make sense to me.

Last edited by desertgasser300; 10-03-2014 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cladoo View Post
Our Yamaha Rep was in the shop yesterday and he told us that they will have a competitive off road bike this year! It will be unveiled at the dealer meeting on Oct 14th. That is all he said.
Any news?
Old 10-14-2014, 09:24 PM
Site Sponsor

Actually the meeting is Thursday
'07 EC300 sold
'06 EC300 sold
'78 Suzuki RM250C2
'75 Yamaha YZ250B sold
Old 10-16-2014, 10:49 AM

Here it is!!! Not a 2 stroke....never the less! Something new to think about! If you like cams and valves

http://www.yamahamotorsports.com/spo...19/0/home.aspx
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 10-16-2014, 10:54 AM

•All-New for 2015 with a revolutionary rearward slanted 250cc, liquid-cooled, DOHC 4-stroke with 4 titanium valves based on the 2015 YZ250F, with an added sixth gear and wide ratio transmission, among other modifications, make it an “out-of-the-box” Hare Scrambles/GNCC? competition machine.
•Nearly the same bilateral beam frame that is found on the championship winning YZ250F is used on the FX. It places the engine and fuel tank close to the center mass of the bike for extremely light and nimble handling character.
•A Keihin 44mm throttle body fuel injection system is tuned for cross-country racing and ensures smooth throttle response and easy starting in nearly all conditions.
•Industry leading KYB? air/oil separation Speed Sensitive System forks and a KYB? rear shock suspension with settings designed specifically for cross country racing.
•With a 2.1 gallon fuel tank, 18-inch rear wheel and XC racing tires, the YZ250FX is ready to win right out of the box.
•The YZ250FX is the first YZ to feature electric start which helps reduce rider fatigue.

Engine:

•The revolutionary, rearward slanted, high-performance liquid-cooled, 4-stroke, 4-valve, fuel-injected engine has been tuned to challenge for race victories in the very competitive GNCC and Hare Scrambles race series.
•The position of the engine moves the rotational mass of the cams towards the center of the bike which allows for a straight shot, down draft intake and straight exhaust port for ultimate performance. This keeps air box up high, out of dust and mud/water.
•The fuel injection system uses 3-D mapped electronic control for the fuel and ignition timing that are optimized for cross-country racing.
•A 6-speed wide-ratio transmission is used to insure the right gear is selected for a wide variety of terrain found in cross country racing.
•The clutch plate material, springs, push lever and oil valve are optimized for cross-country racing.
•Push button electric start makes starting the YZ250FX easy and convenient.

Chassis/Suspension:

•An all aluminum bilateral beam frame similar to the YZ250F provides strength, lightness and durability for race conditions.
•Industry favorite KYB? air/oil separate Speed Sensitive System spring forks with Kashima coating and KYB? rear shock, also with Kashima coating and featuring a large 50mm piston. Both the forks and rear shock are tuned specifically for cross country racing.
•Special cross-country racing Dunlop AT81 tires are used to maximize traction while delivering excellent wear.

Additional Features:

•Accessory GYTR? Power Tuner lets owners adjust air/fuel mixture and ignition timing maps to match engine performance characteristics to the rider and race conditions in a matter of seconds with the push of a few buttons.
•Quick-adjust clutch, aluminum handlebars and a side stand are standard for added rider convenience.
•Quick-release quarter-turn Dzus? air box fasteners for tool-less access to the air filter.
•High-quality O-ring is tough and durable.
•The YZ250FX is pre-wired for an optional radiator fan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015_splash_yz250fx_01a_B8SMXH8.jpg (115.1 KB, 18 views)
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals

Last edited by Rick; 10-16-2014 at 10:58 AM. Reason: opps
Old 10-16-2014, 11:53 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Looks nice.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:56 AM

Yawn nothing earthshaking
Old 10-16-2014, 12:03 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Nothing earth shaking but It's good to have more options.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Yawn nothing earthshaking
What are you talking about? It is quite earth shattering. First real japanese competition off road bike in a decade. I suspect if it sells, it could open the door to many more japanese options. A reintroduction of the IT line would be cool.