Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 09-11-2019, 04:45 PM

Default Knee Braces

Hi guys!!

After a small crash about one month ago, i injured my knee a little bit. Nothing too serious but made me realise that its time for proper protection!

The ones that got my attention are: Leatt x-frame, Mobius x8, Alpinestars bionic 7 and POD K4 2.0.
A local store have the first 3 braces, but for POD K4 2.0 are only online stores.... i really wanted to try all of them before buying!

One thing is youtube reviews from stores and another this is personal reviews from people that actually put hours riding with them!!

So, i need opinions (sizing, confort, durability, etc) on the braces from people that have any of the above!

Thank you for your attention!!

Old 09-11-2019, 05:51 PM

I've been riding with Leatt C-frames for a few years now, really like them!
Comfy, easy on/off, and the lockout adjustment is more than enough to protect my bad knee.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:55 PM

I think the mobius x8 is great. Have a bad knee that does not hurt while wearing the brace. Had the Leatt c brace good protection but started to have some durability issues.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:56 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I just bought a pair of Pod K4 2.0. I also got me a pair of sleeves, like these: https://www.podactive.com/kx-knee-sleeve/.
I have used them once so far, no problems. I'll use them again today.

My previous knee protection was Thor Force knee guards. Compared to these, the Pods are a little wider, so I feel slightly "disconnected" from the bike when gripping it between my legs. I think I will get used to that within a few hours of riding.

I bought the largest version, XL/XXL. They are delivered with different pads to ajdust size. My knees are just slightly bigger than would fit the M/L braces, but as the Pod sizing chart advices to go up a size if in between sizes, I did buy the larger one. Hence the use of the thickest pads between the brace and the knee, and the feeling of bigger distance to the bike.

So far, I am happy.

My son bought the Mobius a few weeks back, and I think he is also happy with them.

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc
Old 09-12-2019, 07:03 AM

i have the mobius. Great fit, pretty comfortable. The ratchet tension for the main strap does a great job and my braces have never slipped down my leg like others I have had have done. Ive had a couple of stacks in them and after major knee damage last year without braces, these really do give me a great deal of confidence again..
10 out of 10 from me..
Old 09-12-2019, 02:10 PM

I tried Alps Fluid, Pod K-something and leatt X-Frames.

Tried on all three, liked the Pods most as their quality is outstanding. Alps did not fit me well. The strap system of the X-Frames is simply a faulty design from someone who never ever in his life wore braces or just knee protectors. But there is a way around that when the straps #1 and 2 stay clicked in und you never take them off. Took me a while to find out.

Finally I decided to get the Leatt X-Frame as the fitted very well. The lower straps are a bit long for persons with slim calves. Like all knee braces to get them on is a pita and time consuming but once you get used to that its acceptable. The first ride was a bit strange but as soon as the track needed my full concentration I did not feel them much. Now, about half a year later I would not ride without them and I can say I almost don't feel them. They stay well in place but can slip a bit but that is no problem.

Have an eye on your pants that they have enough space in the knee area, some cheaper pants from JT racing were just too tight so that it was not possible to fully bend my knee.

Don't buy any braces because of people telling you they are good. You MUST try them on and leave them on, best together with boots. I have a local shop close by and had the possibility to try them on with my own boots (gaerne sg12 and 10).
Old 09-13-2019, 09:51 AM

I would recommend staying away from the Leatt X-frames. These are built to a price point and the quality, or lack of, shows. I've owned them for less than a year and have replaced 5 patella guards at $60 a pop (they crack at the tiniest impact, even worse in cold weather, had one break when I knelt down to check a tire). Have also had to replace the straps as the velcro began failing around six months of use. I do ride quite a bit (6 plus hours per week), so a weekend warrior might get better mileage than me, but the patella guards are really flimsy.

No one but Leatt currently has the spare parts for the X frames, so you have to order them direct.

Spend a little more money and get something better.
Old 03-07-2020, 02:52 PM

Hi guys!
Just a quick update

End up buying the Pod?s K4 2.0. Amazing construction, lots of padding!!
I start riding about 2 months with them and its really good.
A few minutes after putting them, you dont even notice you are wearing knee braces!! You can feel the bike and even squeeze the frame harder without any pain or discomfort...

Thank you all for the help!
Cheers