Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 05-05-2008, 06:14 AM

Default battery going flat

hi got a 03 450 supermoto im fully charging battery it last last about 5 miles then going flat. battery in good condition not useing the lights engine cutting out as battery going flat help

Old 05-10-2008, 12:12 AM

Sounds like you have a stator or regulator problem. First charge your battery with something else (batt charger of some kind) then put it in the bike.

You can quickly verify if the bike will be charging by checking if you have ~14 volts at a nice fast idle. If not, no charging.

If you have determined it is definitely not charging, you have to check your stator. Under the seat/tank somewhere (i havent done this on my gas-gas just my drz so no idea where everything is) you will have your regulator/rectifier. There are 3 yellow wires going into it. You need to check if any of these wires are shorted to ground. Also check what their resistance to eachother is. To ground should be open circuit, to eachother should be fairly low, like an ohm. or less. If any of these are not what they should be, you need a new stator, or at least get it rewound.

Now, on the DRZ I could start the bike with the stator unplugged from the Reg/Rect. Maybe on the gas-gas you cant, I doubt you can because of the FI system. Somehow, you need to measure the voltage coming out of those wires while the bike is running. REMEBER, use AC scale on your meter, not DC like you would for your battery. Measure each yellow wire referenced to eachother. The voltage should be pretty high, i think over 50-60 volts. Wire 1 to wire2, wire2 to wire3, etc, all over 50-60 volts. The voltage will move around thats not a big deal. Nothing precise, just high. If any of those measurements is bad, again, new stator, or some stator work.

If the stator measurement is good, but your battery is showing low voltage with the bike running, then your problem is in the regulator or wiring. Check the wiring first, follow the battery wiring back to the regulator, checking all fueses and look for corrosion etc. If wiring seems ok, you probably have a bad regulator and might want to look at replacing it. If the voltage at the regulator tests good (14ish volts) but the same wire from your battery shows low, then its wiring. If not, its probably the regulator.

Anyways sorry I've never tried to explain the proceedure before and this is all info from me testing my DRZ so hopefully it carries over.

Good luck!!
Old 05-10-2008, 01:28 AM

Thumbs up

cheers m8 found prodlem corrosion on wire in loom
Old 05-12-2008, 08:42 AM

No prob happy riding!