Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:11 AM

Default Dumb Luck

Hey Folks,

Hope this post finds everyone and their families well.

Well, like the title states I ended up with a 2010 GG EC300 through pure dumb luck. I had no intention or plans on buying a GG but my buddy wadded himself up on his and needed to temporarily get out of riding for a while (Wife ) He made me a pretty good deal on the 300 so I bought it. After tweaking a couple of items that he bent and twisted I have final gotten to take it out on a couple of shakedown rides. Wow, is all I can say the motor is absolutely fantastic and the chassis is firmly planted, I throughly impressed. I'm so impressed that I now have my YZ 250 going up for sale soon and I do not know if I will ever look back. My only hope now is that the GG will be as dependable as the YZ but time will tell.

I'm a 6'-2" 230lb 47 year old "Slow B" racer/rider in the sandy state of Florida and have been at it for about 11 years and hopefully have a lot more years left.

I'm looking to use all of y'alls GG knowledge for advice on set-up, do's & don'ts, after market parts, vendors etc....

At the moment I'm looking for Stabilizer recommendations, Rad. guards, numbers/graphics, tall seat and some help with the front and rear springs. With the spring situation I have no ides what the "rate" terminology means so any help in this area would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks All and Ride Safe

SC

Last edited by HuskyDude; 01-19-2012 at 02:50 PM.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:41 PM

Welcome, Champ! You'll find a wealth of knowledge here. I really can't address you spring questions due to the fact that I always go with the stock springs cause I am at 170#.

As far as the stabilizer/damper, I haven't had a need for one since I got rid of my last KTM and started riding GGs. These bikes seem to be more stable than most. Try riding it a few times without a damper and see what you think. Plus down in Florida, there probably isn't that many rocks and roots to warrant a damper.

Graphics are becoming more plentiful nowadays, it seems. Search on "graphics" and that should give you a few different choices. Seats and covers, EE and Guts are your only choices. I have Guts tall soft on my 300 and like it but with either one, you'll probably be ok.

I think you'll find the reliability is as good or better than anything on the market, bar none. The only thing that I ever ordered to fix a flaw on either of my GGs was a part that Marzocchi screwed up installing a bushing in my 06s forks. The only time you'll need to "look back" is to see the other brands behind you.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:50 PM

Would this be Baily's bike? How is he?
Old 01-19-2012, 09:34 PM

Swap the kickstarters before you sell the YZ. The GG one is soft and will fail on you eventually.

I run an EE tall soft seat. EE gets there foam from Gutz and the soft foam is pretty nice
Old 01-19-2012, 10:23 PM

Giving Enduro Engineering a first look for that wouldn't be a bad place to start.

Give the forum a look for some very recent discussion on barkbusters, skid plates, etc.

As for the stabilizer, my Gasser is stable at speed so the only reason I have my Scotts damper mounted is for the odd hit on a rock in a sand wash, which has paid dividends a few times.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Would this be Baily's bike? How is he?
I'm guessing he's his neighbour! Go have a a beer with him for me!

I heard from Bailey at Christmas when I got stick stabbed (which has healed well). Heres our convo before that!

Quote:
Hey man, you wouldn't believe it.. I actually sold the bike to my neighbor. One crashed '10, broken subframe, broken fender, bent wheel, bent bars, broken throttle cable, torn seat, I even bent the silencer.
I took the chance to sell it, as I ride a motorcycle at work on the road 40 hours a week. (Just not a dirt bike).
Anyway thanks for the help and it has been a blast in my 29 years of riding in the dirt. I kept nothing from the bike or any spares. Be careful!!
Bailey
Enjoy the ride Scramble Champ and stay safe! These are great bikes!
Old 01-19-2012, 10:27 PM

Look at my post from yesterday. (2010 ec300 set up) I just went through the whole process. For spring info you can call Richard at House of Horsepower (also called Cannon Racing). He hooked me up ASAP with a 5.4 rear and .48 front springs. I'm 6.0" 225. Cold as heck up in IL right now, headed to Southern Mo next week for a test. Feel free to PM me with questions. I spent a week straight bolting crap on my bike.
Tim
2005 Z1000R
1997 GL1500
Old 01-19-2012, 10:55 PM

Congrats. My son had PG do custom grafix and the quality is top notch. He also runs the Gutts Tall seat and picked it and all new white plastics up from GoFasters; awesome to deal with. We haven't done anything with the stock springs so I can't help with that but it looks like Tim has a suggestion for them. They are extreamly well built and reliable bikes so don't worry about that just enjoy.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:40 PM

Scramble Champ, Decal Works does GG graphics and they were solid to work with, and Scorpion makes some of the best radiator guards I've seen.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:01 PM

Hey all,

Thanks for all of the replies.

I'm pretty sure that this is "Baily's" old bike I'm just not positive of his forum tag name.

I put a good ride on it today in the rooty, tight stuff with the motor and chassie working great I just have to do some suspension tweeking.

bukwheat, Thanks for the tips.

GMP, I believe it is.

Tlineman, I'll swap them, thanks and I'll definately be looking to the softer seat after the major case of "Monky Butt" I got today

AZrickD, I'll get a stabalizer cause at some of our races down here we have some high speed cow pastures, we deffinately have some snotty roots and plenty of monster sand whoops/washes.

Jakobi, I'll track him down soon enough and beat him out of a brew. Glad the stab wound has healed.

ucrtwf, thanks for the spring info and not to rub it in but the weather is absolutely perfect down here right now

John01, Thanks

Lildawg, thanks for the scorpion tip.

Thanks again for all of the initial help everypn, keep the tips flowing.

SC