Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:10 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Default MAP switch relocation?

Anybody find a neat out of the way spot to relocate their MAP switch to?

I need to free up some space on the bars and I'm anticipating (and/or guessing) that I wont use it very often.

Looks like it could stick it just about anywhere but curious if anyone already found a neat spot.

Thanks

J

Old 01-14-2011, 12:34 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

I see the new bikes ship with it mounted around the LHS radiator hose, should be pretty safe there. you could possibly also just remove it and joining/insulating the wires so that it is permanently in the setting you want, or find a smaller switch that could be mounted elsewhere (number board?)
Old 01-14-2011, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by husley View Post
Anybody find a neat out of the way spot to relocate their MAP switch to?

I need to free up some space on the bars and I'm anticipating (and/or guessing) that I wont use it very often.

Looks like it could stick it just about anywhere but curious if anyone already found a neat spot.

Thanks

J
Depending on the event, I used mine either very little or several times per lap. The '11s have it mounted on the left rad hose as was stated, but I kept mine close at hand (thumb?) just in-board of the throttle.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 01-15-2011, 12:12 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Default Thanks

I was wondering about the Rad Hoses, but then I wondered if it might start to wear through the hose.

Thanks for the info as it sounds like it is an accepted mod so I will give it a try.

J
Old 01-15-2011, 03:59 PM

I put mine from the handlebars back to the lh rad hose. I never even use the soft setting on this bike. I am going to have to do some mods to the GG to try and wake the motor up. I rode it back to back with my KTM the other day and the power on the GG is not even close.

I am hoping if I go to a fifty tooth rear and do the head and carb mods I can get it to have better snap. I may also try a different pipe. I am curious to see what FMF has in the works. I prefer the pc2 on my KTM but not an option on the GG.

If I can not get more power out of it I may have a nice 2011 300 for sale.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs2200 View Post
I am going to have to do some mods to the GG to try and wake the motor up.
Try removing the spacer between the reed block and the crankcase.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:30 PM

I may give that a try. Will that hurt low end power? The GasGas just feels like it has about 15 to 20 percent less power everywhere than the KTM.

What is the best bang for the buck? I am thinking carb mod, head mod, and a 50 tooth rear.

I plan to check the x dimension and try to set it as close to 0 as possible. I would rather not do any porting unless I have to.

I heard FMF is working on a new pipe but I am not sure when it will be ready. I would try the EE pipe but I just can not see using a black pipe, do they hold up well?
Old 01-16-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs2200 View Post
I may give that a try. Will that hurt low end power? The GasGas just feels like it has about 15 to 20 percent less power everywhere than the KTM.

What is the best bang for the buck? I am thinking carb mod, head mod, and a 50 tooth rear.

I plan to check the x dimension and try to set it as close to 0 as possible. I would rather not do any porting unless I have to.

I heard FMF is working on a new pipe but I am not sure when it will be ready. I would try the EE pipe but I just can not see using a black pipe, do they hold up well?
I'd try the 50T rear as an easy bolt-on, then work with the squish/jetting, and then carb mods. Before I did any of that though I'd ride a couple sections against a stop watch. When I tried to rev out my 250 and make it feel like a YZ it was slow and tiring - when I let it flow my speeds really increased.

Where are you riding anyway? - your id doesn't indicate locale.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 01-17-2011, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator

I moved mine to the RHS rad hose behind the shroud. I must admit I have hardly used it on the soft setting, even in the muddiest of conditions.

Regarding the differences between makes, I had a few play races on the weekend. Appeared to pull away from the Husky WR300, and pulled even with an 09 KTM 300 until I closed the throttle, however I recall you saying your KTM was pretty bombed too Jeff.

In saying that, I don't find that the Gasser has uncontrollable power, nor does it neccessarily lack it. I mean, I have trouble laying it to the ground mostly so I fail to see how more will help? Could just be all this rain we've had in Australia and my 3/4's bald tyre
Old 01-17-2011, 08:06 AM

I need to change my profile on here to show my location, I will try to get that done. I live near San Antonio and race all over Texas.

We race mostly tight woods so I am not looking for wild power but I would like just a little more everywhere. I am a big guy so that helps mellow the power quite a bit.

One of the first things I noticed is lacking a little on the lowend when climbing hills. I also rode at a motocross track last week with a buddy on his KTM 250 xc and he could pull me on straights pretty easily. I have ridden his bike which is bone stock and I would say it has just a little less lowend but revs quicker and is pretty equal on top.

I know it is not fair to compare it directly against my KTM because it has the porting, sx head etc.

I will try some of the suggestions here and report back in a new thread.