Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 09-11-2006, 11:36 AM

Lightbulb Considering Trials

I have always been utterly fascinated by Trials. Every time I see Trials riders doing there thing, I am glued to it.

I have a long history of MX and trail-riding, but none at any kind of competitive level. I Love my 2005 Gas gas EC 250 !!! (it had to be said) Now I am thinking that it might be fun to try out Trials riding. My issue is that I do not wish to spend the money for a nice new (thats the only way I like to go) trials bike and then become fustrated. Wheelies are not enough to justify the $$$ expenditure. I live in South East Washington state, where Trials riding is vertualy unheard of. I am sure a riding school in my area would be difficult if not impossable to find.

Is there any reading material on Trials riding technique ?

How does a beginner start out with Trials riding at the age of fourty ??

Old 09-11-2006, 04:23 PM

Check out some of the clubs around:

Puget Sound Trialers
Columbia Observed Trials Assn.
NATC trials clubs

There don't appear to be any clubs in your area but the trials that they put on will probably be around the state and perhaps closer to where you are.

Try showing up to one of their trials with your EC250. There is generally a beginner/big bike line that can be ridden with an Enduro bike. Also they will often do clinics before trials as well. Just to give yourself an idea.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:17 PM

Two years ago I picked up a used 2001 TXT280 with the same fellings you have.
I did not enter any Trials events, I now kick myself for not doing that! I sold
the Trails bike this spring, so I could get a bigger bike for my son.
I do believe riding the trials bike has helped my Enduro skills. The best part is you can practice in a small area in your back yard! Buy a used bike to see if you like it.
Ryan Young has a very good DVD "Training Trials" it is very good, pick it up before you buy a bike. He makes it look sooooo easy, til you try some of the
exercises yourself!
Good Luck!
Old 09-12-2006, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

A good source for riding techniques can be found at the Trials Training Center website:
http://www.trialstrainingcenter.com/
Click on the button "how to ride"

Trials Central is great trials site for information, competition results, and community forum:
http://www.trialscentral.com/

Back in 2002, I bought a used 2001 GasGas TXT280 and rode it for several years. Where I live, there were no good practice areas (other than my backyard). My only real practice was during competition events, which was really fun due to the great sections. Unforunately, with my family constraints, it was difficult to spend an entire day traveling and riding the event. I ended up selling my bike last year and miss it a lot. Someday, I will buy another.

Trials is a fantastic sport and great for cross-training. Prior to getting my XC250, trials was the only thing that I rode. When I got my enduro bike, I transferred all of my trials skills (like log hopping, throttle/clutch control, balance, etc.) and immediately was at my friend's riding level. They could not believe that a "newbie" to enduro was riding at their level. Even today, I will be the guy to try larger obstacles on the trail (like hill climbs, logs, etc.) because I have the confidence from my trials experience. There is a reason why David Knight and Juha Saleminen are top riders... both have a trials background.

Regarding a bike, I would buy a used one from 2001 to present. Things are pretty much the same since 2001. Early bikes (before 2000) were still developing too much into the modern versions they have now. All brands are very good. You can't go wrong with any GasGas, Sherco, Montesa, Beta, or Scorpa. GasGas and Sherco are at the top on my list due to the parts availability and support. For GasGas, I would go with a 280TXT or 280/300Pro. For Sherco, I would go with their 2.9 model.

You should be able to get a good used bike for $2500 to $3500 depending upon the year. None of the bikes will be "beat" like an enduro bike from an engine standpoint. Just expect to see lots of body damage like dents and scratches... which are war wounds and give the bike character.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFRDave View Post
Is there any reading material on Trials riding technique ?

How does a beginner start out with Trials riding at the age of fourty ??
Have a search around for an old publication called "Observed Trials" by Len Weed. It's old but most all the techniques are still applicable and it's very well arranged. Last I heard "Whitehorse Press" still had a few copies.

I was in the same boat as you only a few years back. Nearing 40 (past now) and a lust for trials. However there was no trials clubs, riders or events within 10 hrs of me. Well, I jumped in anyways. With the help of the above mentioned book, some videos and tips from folks on-line I've progressed a long way from where I started. Still a LONG way from a Pro, but I sure have fun. I travel to events in New England and Quebec when I can and always have an absolute blast.

Without a doubt, the single best thing I've ever done for my riding in general. My riding improved almost overnight on my EC250. Only regret was not starting riding these things 25 yrs ago.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:52 PM

I have both of my Hondas for sale and I need another bike like a hole in my head.
I started this whole idea with the thought that Trials technique would help my enduro and mountain trail riding skills.

I saw a used trials bike for $2500 listed on a dealership near me. I called to investigate and learned that that bike had serious problems. There was another one for $4600, and the dealer told me that a new GG Pro 280 would run $6500 +.
Then I thought I might save some $$$ by getting into bicycle trials. Then (I thought) if I like the Bicycle trials, I could shell out the clams for a motorized Trials bike.

Heres the ugly truth:
I suck at wheelies. Whenever the front wheel lifts a tad, I shut the therottle. Or, I try a whelie and then remain leaned forward, and just spin the rear wheel. (Thankyou Honda) I WANT to 'blip blip' across logs and tip the front wheel over ledges or roots, but the fear of looping out just keeps both wheels firmly on the ground. I think that the EC 250 has helped me reduce this fear of looping because the power delivery is so controlable and mellow. This makes me think that a Trials bike would enable me to experience "ABSOLUTE ULTIMATE CONTROL" of a motorcycle. As soon as I became used to double blipping over logs on my GG Pro 280, I would be doing it on my GG ec 250 in no time.

I understand that riding motorcyles under the conditions I desire to ride in is as much a mental game as it is a physical. Perhaps I should just remove the rear fender from my EC 250 and just loop it a few times.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

FFRDave,

If you are serious about trials (especially for training towards improved enduro riding), do not go the biketrials route. IMHO, it is difficult to transfer bicycle technique to enduro bikes or mototrials. The only benefit of biketrials is getting comfortable jumping around on the rear wheel. In biketrials, you rely on pedal kicks versus using proper throttle and clutch control in mototrials. Of course, the weight of a mototrials bike is much more similar to enduro bikes than a sub-20 pound bicycle.

There are plenty of great deals on used trials bikes. Bikes ranging from $2K to $3K are easy to find and in great shape.

Check out the listings on GasGas USA's site
http://www.gasgas.com/Pages/For-sale...-for-sale.html

Good luck!
Old 09-27-2006, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFRDave View Post
his makes me think that a Trials bike would enable me to experience "ABSOLUTE ULTIMATE CONTROL" of a motorcycle. As soon as I became used to double blipping over logs on my GG Pro 280, I would be doing it on my GG ec 250 in no time.
That's almost exactly how it works. You'll be astounded at how your riding will improve on your EC after training on the trials bike. Flicking the front end around on your EC will definitely become easier and your confidence, particularly in really nasty terrain will improve immensely. Stick with motorized trials though...cycle trials is great, but not as easy to transfer techniques...plus is hard on the knees and body if your over 30 yrs.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:32 PM

Check out http://www.intatrials.com/ Inland Northwest Trials Association is based out of the Spokane area but have rides a couple times a year in Connel. I sold my last trials bike (to buy my XC250) to a guy in Walla Walla and I think he said he was in a club based in the Tri-cities. There are classes for all levels and all age groups are in all of the classes, you won't be disappointed. I started learning by riding off-camber around and over a dirt mound, and with cinder blocks that I would stop the front or rear tire on, then restart while trying to keep my balance. Also bouncing the front tire off of trees (about 4' up) It definately helped with my off-road skills. One of these days I will get another trials bike (GasGas of course) and ride trials again. Do It!!

Jeff.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:34 AM

As I get older, and watching more and more riding places closing, I can see myself with only 1 bike one trials bike day, and I currently have 3 dirt bikes to flip between, a 280Pro and 300EC and 640KTM.
I find it takes a little adjustment time to jump from one bike to the bigger ones, but its so cool to be able to transfer what is learned on the trials bike to the other bikes. (much easier going from trials to 300, than trials to 640!) Occasionally the seat height or steering lock on the enduro bikes will catch me out trying to pull off something that is so easy on the trials bike, (like a floater turn or large log) but when you go back to the trials bike, its like you are riding a bicycle with a motor, with a much lower seat. Its nice to be able to stand the bike up on an obsticle at a 45degree angle and still be able to get a foot down. You won't regret getting one. I've ridden for 35+ yrs and have learned stuff in the past year that I would never had attempted before.