Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:20 AM

Default ec300 (2007 kick) Water Pump

I have a problem whereby engine makes an intermittent screech (becoming more frequent) and coolant spits from the overflow (but doesnt/hasnt boiled, yet).

I do believe its the water pump. Also I have an aluminium impeller waiting for just such a time when I have to pull it down.

My question is:- are there any gaskets, rings etc that I really should replace while I've got it down, and is there a kit which contains such things?

Any tips or tricks as to the method/procedure ?

Old 12-04-2012, 01:48 AM

Silly question I know. Perhaps its all been dealt with a thousand times before.
Dont seem to be able to find it with search though.
Does anybody care to point me in the right direction?
Old 12-04-2012, 04:02 AM
Super Moderator

Old man rivero! Sorry no one has replied to your post in here. Hopefully someone will chime in soon with some experience.

I'd be looking at the exploded view and seeing whats in there. You first really need to identify where the screech is coming from pump wise. Is it the shaft in bearing for the shaft? You'll have to pull the seal to get access to this so I'd look at minimum, new gasket, new seal, and a new bearing in the event that its shot. There isn't a whole lot more to the water pump than that (a shaft, a washer, impeller, retaining clip, and drive gear).

I'm not 100% sure if you'll be able to change the parts out without removing the complete RHS engine case. Ie I have no idea at all Call Scottys dirtbikespares and hit them up. Shouldnt cost much at all.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:58 AM

Does the screech happen when your clutching? Just wondering because a lot of our bikes clutches make aweful screeches from the clutch when you get them worked up and if there was overflow coolant in the tank I'd guess the bike was hot which is when you'll get this annoying screeching from the clutch basket design
Old 12-04-2012, 08:03 AM

I've never heard of the pump causing a noise like this. Even my '12 that was rubbing the cover. I tend to think its a coincidence, maybe clutch slipping like Trevor noted, or something starting to seize internally. It could spit coolant from being overfilled, or from a bad head oring causing the system to be pressurized from cylinder pressure without being hot. What does your trans oil and coolant look like? In any case, you need to pull the side cover to properly inspect everything and change the impeller. I guarantee that the impeller bolt will be frozen it the shaft threads on an '07 bike, and will require the rear of the shaft to be held in a vise to extract. The '07 had a good clutch basket, at least mine did. If thats squealing I'd check the plates for spec thickness and glazing. PM me your email address if you need an engine manual.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:17 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Its usually the clutch making that noise and changing the oil will make it go away.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
Old man rivero! Sorry no one has replied to your post in here. Hopefully someone will chime in soon with some experience.
I'd be looking at the exploded view and seeing whats in there. You first really need to identify where the screech is coming from pump wise. Is it the shaft in bearing for the shaft? You'll have to pull the seal to get access to this so I'd look at minimum, new gasket, new seal, and a new bearing in the event that its shot. There isn't a whole lot more to the water pump than that (a shaft, a washer, impeller, retaining clip, and drive gear).
I'm not 100% sure if you'll be able to change the parts out without removing the complete RHS engine case. Ie I have no idea at all Call Scottys dirtbikespares and hit them up. Shouldnt cost much at all.
Thanks Jake. Parts as suggested plus impeller bolt on order from Scotty now.
Thanks for the advice everyone - much appreciated.
I'll keep you advised.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:01 AM

My trusted mechanic, Simon Jobson, rode the bike today and said he is one hundred percent certain the noise emanates from a bearing and ninety five percent certain its the water pump impeller shaft bearing thats gone, taking the seal with it. The appropriate parts are already on their way, so possibly tomorrow, maybe Monday we move on. I'll drop the fluids now and see if there is any cross contamination.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:43 AM
Super Moderator

Hope its on the money mate!
Old 12-06-2012, 06:59 AM

Which bearing? I had the water pump bearing that's pressed into the case go on me and it tanked my engine from the bearings spilling out. If that bearing went I don't know how your bike would still be running?