Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 08-07-2019, 02:47 PM

Default Severe clutch problem EC 300 2019

After I had squealing/juddering problems I replaced the friction and steel plates plus I installed a Rekluse basket, the same that is used on the 2018 GP models.
While the squealing is gone another problem appeared and is getting worse.

My bike always had a slight clutch drag which didn't change with the new clutch. Today, after riding about 25 minutes I took a rest in the shadow for about 2 minutes. Started the bike and when I put first (or second) gear in it immediately leaped forward and died. I then tried to re-start it in gear but it immediately wanted to roll away and died. I tried this about ten times but no joy. Then let it idle for about a minute and whacked the throttle a few times the problem was gone.

It did that several times but I was unable to find out why. It did it with the engine warm, cold and hot. It was worst when I shut off the engine for a minute or two. It would not do it when the engine stalled and I immediately started it (in gear). As I had an identical bike at hand I found some differences.

On my bike the clutch pull is definitely lighter as on my friends bike.

When on both bikes the clutch levers are adjusted as far as possible from the bars and I pull the lever fully in, I can release the lever a tad more than half an inch on my friends bike and nothing happens but on mine it would almost immediately leap forward when releasing the lever just a hair from the bars...

So I think his slave cylinder moves the pushrod further than mine, the question is why.
I bled the system twice. First time as usual, second time with slave off the bike and piston fully pushed back. But nothing changed

What is confusing me is the parts fiche that shows the slave cylinder AND an o-ring with part number ME25632024. Where should that o-ring sit?

I also saw one drop of hydraulic oil coming from the gap between piston and cylinder when I pushed the piston fully back, but it seems the system does not lose oil. When I had the slave off I did not see an o-ring like in the parts fiche but I saw a black, flat rubber (?) between piston and cylinder.

I am stumped, so ordered a new slave for testing.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Doc Brown; 08-07-2019 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:05 PM

Is this the first ride on the new clutch pack and basket?

Were all steel clutch plates installed facing the correct direction?

Worn shaft end?

Slave may have a small leak and may not leak enough to notice, but may pulling air into the system. Or, maybe you just need to bleed the system again.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:18 PM

It 100% sounds like it has not been bled properly. The lighter lever plus releasing as soon as it is off the bars points at this. New plates always drag when new. They need bedding in just like brake pads and discs. Bleed the system again, you can try reverse bleeding and give the clutch a few good hard slips and it will probably come good.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:51 AM

@Jacob:

No, I already rode the bike for 3 hours in easy terrain last week. There wasn't much clutch slipping necessary. Yesterday the terrain was a bit harder and I rode the bike 3 hours again, so in total the clutch is 6 hrs old. It was darn hot (about 94 F).

I called GG in Germany and asked them how to install the steel plates and they said it plays no role as long as they all face either outwards or inwards (with the sharp edge).

Shaft is good, checked both ends.

There is no leak visible, fluid level in the reservoir did not change, at least it isn't visible. But yes, it is possible that there is a leak letting air in.
I will bleed it again while waiting for the new slave.

Yesterday, when the bike always stalled when I put it in gear, I pumped the lever about 20 times and tried again, but that didn't change anything. (That worked on my KTM when air was in the system.)

@Gasser Nate:
I even bled it with the slave off the bike and the piston pushed back, that normally eliminates air that you wont get out during normal bleeding process. However, I too have the feeling the problem is related to the hydraulic part of the whole system (slave or master cylinder).

Will bleed again and report back but may take a few days.

Thank you both for your help, really appreciate that.

Doc
Old 08-08-2019, 07:00 AM

The easiest way to check the steel plates for direction is to let them drop down the splines in an empty basket. They should drop straight down but will hang up if the splines have been cut in such a way as to be directional.

The 1st KTM I ever had had terrible clutch drag from new and this was the issue. They had been thrown in at the factory and most had been put in the wrong way round.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:34 AM

So what is the preferred direction? Sharp edge inward or sharp edge outward?
Old 08-08-2019, 04:01 PM

Perhaps the master is not working correctly? Maybe bypassing some fluid so you aren’t getting full pressure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2019, 08:47 PM

Default Severe clutch problem EC 300 2019

What about a Rekluse adjustable slave cylinder? Maybe give them a call. I’ve heard great things about their tech support.
The one problem with the adjustable slave when not using the Rekluse clutch pack is that it might not adjust back far enough as it meant to always hold the clutch disengaged when the engine stopped.

Or just spring for a Rekluse auto clutch or even manual clutch (if they make a manual clutch for the GG)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk