Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:48 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Default Weird one - oil leak

Here's a weird one. 2002 300 EC.

In 2007, I did a top end and went behind the clutch cover, replacing starter parts.

Oil tight since then.

Rode the bike 2 weeks ago. Washed it, put it on the stand.

Went to put new front struts in the mighty Volvo wagon last saturday, and noticed that the bike had a puddle of oil beneath it. Quite a bit as the oil level was down.

Hmmmm.

Degreased last night, had dinner, and after dinner, looked for leaks. Wet (oil) between case and right side cover.

Changed oil (to fill trans), and let sit overnight to see if i will have a drop from the leak point, solidly identifying the source of the leak.

Luckily, i am a pessimist, and have clutch cover, side cover, and water pump gaskets at home.

Anyone hear of a gasket going bad? (Hoping against case porosity). My XR-250 did the same thing....the gasket was installed wrong at the factory (kink), it ran for almost 2 years before it began to leak, but when it leaked, it leaked badly.

my plan is to take it apart tonight, hopefully having a drop as a clue.

it wold be reassuring to find that the gasket went bad, or that i put botched the gasket, and after 5 years, it's sprung a leak.

blitz

Old 09-25-2012, 07:40 AM

Its easy for that gasket to get squeezed out of position, especially if you use RTV or even grease as a gasket dressing. I had to R&R one a second time because of this. It could have been sealing by a thread for awhile and finally let go. Use Three Bond, Yamabond, or Hylomar as a gasket sealer, it will hold the gasket in place very well. The new gaskets are rubberized metalic type and will not do this.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:12 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Thanks. It's reassuring to know I am not alone.

I've a nice supply of Threebond #4, so I'll hold it in place with that.

5 years, then a leak. That's a personal record.

Thanks for the info.

blitz