Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
Many thanks my friend! It is interesting what you say about the forks. The question is, do I need better ones. I am an average Joe and I am not fast, compared to fast guys I am very slow. But I know it and I know some guys who are also very slow, they just don't know it

I like the Beta's, always wanted one... but, believe it or not, the Gassy works fine again. Not sure if it will stay that way but for the moment it works, I don't know why, that bothers me a bit.

I installed another clutch master cylinder a guy lend me. before I installed it I cleaned the master cylinder and installed a repair kit. But, you already know it, it didn't change anything. In a flush of anger I put it in 5th gear held the throttle wide open and slipped the clutch. Did it 5 times and really tortured it. I was so angry I wished it would explode. Then started in first WOT and shifted without closing throttle, just using the clutch.
Still furious I did something I never would have thought, I drained the oil and filled the gearbox with ATF. Since decades I preach don't use ATF.

But since I filled the ATF (Castrol Dex II) it works. Not 100% but 90. I really could live with that. Now I don't know why it works.
Can it really be the oil? Its ATF its fucking made for automatic transmissions, how can this be. I mean I changed the darn whole clutch, basket hub, plate, slave, master. Every-fucking-thing. Then I fill ATF and all is good???
Awesome!

I've preached ATF for years! On some bikes it helps cure a dragging clutch, notchy shifting (Kawasaki), and/or makes it easier to find neutral when the engine is running. Every two stroke I've ever owned has had ATF in it with zero negative effects ever. It is roughly the same weight as regular motor oil yet also includes some detergents that help keep everything clean. If you understand how an automatic vehicle transmission works you would see how similar the components are between it and a two stroke wet clutch setup. Compare the friction discs in auto vehicle transmission and the frictions for our bikes and you'll see they are very similar and work on the same principle. Another advantage is you can find ATF a lot more places than motorcycle spec motor oil!

Like Jacob said, it will probably get better with your next oil change as you work all the old motor oil out of the friction plates.

'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220

Old 01-17-2020, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
Many thanks my friend! It is interesting what you say about the forks. The question is, do I need better ones. I am an average Joe and I am not fast, compared to fast guys I am very slow. But I know it and I know some guys who are also very slow, they just don't know it

I like the Beta's, always wanted one... but, believe it or not, the Gassy works fine again. Not sure if it will stay that way but for the moment it works, I don't know why, that bothers me a bit.

I installed another clutch master cylinder a guy lend me. before I installed it I cleaned the master cylinder and installed a repair kit. But, you already know it, it didn't change anything. In a flush of anger I put it in 5th gear held the throttle wide open and slipped the clutch. Did it 5 times and really tortured it. I was so angry I wished it would explode. Then started in first WOT and shifted without closing throttle, just using the clutch.
Still furious I did something I never would have thought, I drained the oil and filled the gearbox with ATF. Since decades I preach don't use ATF.

But since I filled the ATF (Castrol Dex II) it works. Not 100% but 90. I really could live with that. Now I don't know why it works.
Can it really be the oil? Its ATF its fucking made for automatic transmissions, how can this be. I mean I changed the darn whole clutch, basket hub, plate, slave, master. Every-fucking-thing. Then I fill ATF and all is good???
Hi, After first 5 hours on my brand new 2019 EC300 I replaced the original GG oil with 75W140 Elf oil for automatic transmissions and I can't complaint on the clutch. Very little to zero clutch drag (hot or cold), very good slipping characteristic when in tight terrain and when in neutral it also has a bit less noise.
So for me 75W140
Old 01-17-2020, 03:51 PM

Cool that it works for you. Be happy

To tell the end of the story: after the next oil change the problem, severe dragging, was back I talked to someone who had a similar problem and he said I should try a special engine flush oil. I asked him why and he said, after I informed him that I had replaced all parts of the clutch except the hydraulic line, that he thinks the Motul V300 I put the clutch discs in prior to installation has done something (chemical reaction of the Ester contained in the oil) weird. It did sound plausible as on my bike the clutch lift was the same as on my buds bike, but on his the friction plates opened up easily and on my bike they stuck together and needed a bit of force to free up.

After I flushed the engine and re-filled fresh ATF it was better but not perfect. A strange thing was that my clutch pull didn't feel right, it was kinda sticky. Finally I traded the bike in for a new one and of course another GasGas.

I admit, that in 40 years of spannering on almost everything that has a motor, including jet engines it is the very first time that I don't have the slightest idea what was going on nor do I have the slightest idea what the root cause was...