Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 05-12-2011, 11:07 PM

Default Sachs vs Ohlins/Zokes in 2011?

There are two 2011 EC300s that I'm looking at.

One has Sachs/Sachs, the other has Ohlins/Zokes.

Fishing through the old threads, I'm getting some might mixed messages.

Which set-up is more advantageous for my admittedly (mostly) slow, yet rock-ish riding?

I sent my '05 suspenders to Les a couple of years ago so I know what a good tuner can do. Which of these units (or both) are nicely tunable, and what re-valve and springs have you decided on? I'm 200# empty, btw.

Thanks.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:07 AM

I love the suspension on my 2010 sixdays with sachs. Take some time to get the proper spring rates and they are very good, better than the zokes I had on my 08.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:58 AM

Can't really comment on the sachs, I've heard of the odd shock failure but I think GG warrantied them. I've got the Zoke's/Ohlins on my bike and find the forks to be quite harsh. I've talked to a local suspension guy and will be taking my forks in for a re-valve next week, shock I'm going to try and leave stock with just a heavier spring. Heavier springs in the front.

At 200lbs it doesn't matter which one you chose, your going to have to go to heavier springs to make them work properly. As with any suspension proper set-up is required.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:48 AM

My Sachs shock has about 150 hrs on it and is fine. Just serviced by Les with no surprises. The forks biggest issue is the 7mm shims, but that can be taken care of. Like Tlineman said and you know as a rider in rocky terrain as well, either suspension set is best revalved. If I was buying now I'd go with the Sachs/Sachs.

I'm waiting for a '12 or maybe a '11 XC300R with the 48mm CC Zokes. Yes, a 300 for me this time. Keeping my 250 for awhile.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:49 AM

Go for the ohlin zokes i have a 2011 250 with them great set up straight out of the box i had the 09 with sachs even when there revalved there not as good as the ohlin zokes set up just my opinion good luck with which ever you choose
Old 05-13-2011, 09:13 AM

I had the same questions when purchasing my 300, so I went and asked some experts who know and work on both suspensions. Les being one of them. The universal answer to my question of "if you were buying and had the choice which one?" was Sachs and for similar reasons. Not saying anything bad about the Zokes/Ohlins, as they both said either could be made to work good. Les is a great guy to talk to so I'd say give him a call and get the info first hand.

I've only got one definitive ride on terrain so far that would test my Sachs units and I was more than pleasantly surprised on how it worked. It was as good everywhere as the full-on Factory Connection setup that I had on my KTM and even better in some places. It hasn't seen a true rock garden yet where it may be a bit harder to equal my previous setup, but I'm really happy so far. I also like the idea of the more substantial 48mm fork and bigger shock shaft/steel body, whether it's justified or not.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:04 AM

My ride mates always wonder why a slug like me would worry about optimal suspension but, hey, I took my head and carb to RB and they didn't understand that either.

My great hope is that when I up the springs one or to steps and send it to Les or a local tuner that knows both systems I'll get it in the right shape.

One local AZ A-racer bought a gawd-awfull-harsh 2011 6Daze and has had his tuner completely rework it (not just minor stack changes). I'll have to ask him how its doing now.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:29 AM

Sachs schock has less maintenance.

I prefer the Sachs fork to the Marzochi.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkartoom View Post
I had the same questions when purchasing my 300, so I went and asked some experts who know and work on both suspensions. Les being one of them. The universal answer to my question of "if you were buying and had the choice which one?" was Sachs and for similar reasons. Not saying anything bad about the Zokes/Ohlins, as they both said either could be made to work good. Les is a great guy to talk to so I'd say give him a call and get the info first hand.
Pretty well sums it up.
07 TXT 280
77 TY175
Old 05-13-2011, 03:41 PM

Well it looks like the sachs are much more popular in the USA than in Ireland and UK intrested to know why