Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:33 AM

Default Gas cap blues....

So apparently the gas cap on my 2012 is crap...leaks gas all over the place.. Anyone know if I can get an aftermarket cap or am I stuck waiting for the post.

STREET_ GTR 1400 (The Connie)
93 KDX 200 (Katie)

Old 03-06-2013, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onespeed View Post
So apparently the gas cap on my 2012 is crap...leaks gas all over the place.. Anyone know if I can get an aftermarket cap or am I stuck waiting for the post.
The gasket on my 2011 300 shrank and would leak gas. I replaced it with a gas cap gasket of a kx65 with and extra vent hole drilled in it. Keeps the gas from leaking.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappa_j View Post
The gasket on my 2011 300 shrank and would leak gas. I replaced it with a gas cap gasket of a kx65 with and extra vent hole drilled in it. Keeps the gas from leaking.
Could you explain the "extra hole"
93 KDX 200 (Katie)
Old 03-06-2013, 08:52 AM

My take is this:

The cap has a rather large check ball system built in, always did. Retainer cap has three holes. They used to have a full rubber gasket that covered these holes, and the gasket had smaller holes. Problem was the rubber would shrink and harden, blocking these tiny vent holes. Now with just the ring gasket, this is not an issue, but there is a lot more opportunity for fuel to escape. The check ball works if the bike is down but splashing allows a path through.

Solution (with a warning):

I added a small alloy shorty vent hose cap, with its own check valve, because I run a Scotts damper anyway and another hose gets in the way. Has worked very will for years on my '07 and on my '12 since new. Sunday was first harescramble of the year. It was freezing and snowing at my house Sat night with my bike loaded in my truck for a 4AM departure. It was just as cold Sun AM. Well, bike starts up and dies on the way to the line. Thought it might be plug as it was really cold. Pushed bike back to truck and changed plug, bike starts, go to line. Bike dies on line warming up. Will not start until many rows are gone, I finally get off with the C200s. Runs OK and dies in the woods a few min later, but its cleaned out now. Open gas cap and air rushes in. Little vent hose cap/valve is frozen closed, blocking vent! Bang it on the bars a few times, check it and now good. Bike starts right up and runs awesome.

So, this is a decent solution just check that its open before a race especially if its freezing.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

Seal on 2 caps leaked on my 2010 (same as 2011). I ended up first trying to make my own seal out of some rubber purchased from the rubber store. Didn't work so well. I don't think it liked the fuel even though I told them thats what I'd be using it for. In the end I just decided to run no seal. The cap seals against the tank better than any of the stock seals have so win there. I think I have a brand new cap in storage too which I purchased some time back. Can't confirm if the 2012/13s use the same cap as earlier models or same threads though.

So my first suggestion, pull the seal out and try it without.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:08 AM

That is a different problem, but yes it has happened as well. If you have a shorty hose or can see fuel leaking from the longer vent hose, its obvious.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Does the 2012 model still vent into the frame? I do get some splash and overflow out of the hose like you said. Its only ever when the tank is filled right up from what I have noticed. I still use the original hose but just have it resting next to the damper so any overflow goes straight on the frame. It doesn't seem to do it much as theres never a mess to clean up there I figure. When the seal on the cap was leaking if felt like it lost heaps more fuel and what it did lose would make a big miss everywhere.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:27 PM

Im running a shorty right now....it looks like its the seal. I have to play with it. Going to try putting a new longer tube on and run it down the hole. If the total mess on the tank goes away I know the problem. I have a really strong feeling its leaking around the threads of tank...so Ill try ditching the gasket and see how I fare.
93 KDX 200 (Katie)
Old 03-12-2013, 01:49 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default gascap

So Nobody make a billet gascap for our bikes? what happens to the oem one? and how much is replacement. does it match any other brands?
Old 03-13-2013, 01:02 AM

Still trying to solve this problem. Removed seal tried it with out ....still leaks. As far as I know there is no aftermarket support for this other than the shorty tube.
93 KDX 200 (Katie)