Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:07 AM

Default EC 200 set-up tips needed

Just picked up an '05 EC 200 for my teenage son (apologies to Boomhauer).
i ride orange and was initially looking for same for him, but the more research
I did, the better the GG bikes looked. We finally found the '05 just a few miles from home. This is our first Gas Gas so I could use any advice about setting up the bike for a long, happy life in the tight woods.

This particular bike seems to have fairly low hours on it and mostly needs just a little TLC to sharpen it up. First question, what about the forks? The previous owner has the Ohlins units mounted, but has a set of 'zokes in a box.
I'm well aware of the reputation both units have, but have never ridden either.
He's willing to include either set (but not both, darnit!). I'm planning on trying them both, but could use some input, especially as relates to tunability and
performance in the tight stuff.

Also, what about the spring loaded chain guide on the swingarm?
Should we keep it or replace it with a more traditional block style unit?

Finally, the sag on the rear shock. I was accustomed to running about 90mm of sag on my Ohlins equipped KTM for the riding we do and was planning on starting there for this bike. Comments?

As I said, we ride mostly tight woods. Plenty of rocks, ruts roots etc . . . Lots of elevation change.
If the trail opens up enough to use 4th gear, it's considered a fast section
(for me, anyway), but mostly 2nd and 3rd gear sections.

Any comments or advice about setting up and maintaining this bike would be most welcome.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:17 PM

I'd go with the Ohlins forks personally, but the Zokes are a good set too.

The stock chain guide works well, but if you're worried, LTR makes a bracket to use a Honda block chain guide.

Sag should be set around 105mm.

Get a LTR powervalve cover for the bike. This really wakes up the bottom end.

For gearing I've been very happy with 13/52, but this is only good in the tight stuff. Sucks on wide open desert riding.

If your son is fairly tall get some bar risers as they really help open up the riding position. I went with a BRP SUB mount as I have a Scotts steering stabilizer as well.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:46 PM

Thanks for the input. My son's about 5'8"/5'9", so the rider compartment seems about right. The gearing you suggested is exactly where we're at. The power valve cover suggestion is most helpful. This is just the kind of info I'm hoping to get from this forum. Keep it coming!
Old 10-16-2007, 02:54 PM

Another tip: If your son has arm pump issues/larger hands, get Spider M1 grips. These suckers are awesome!
Old 10-17-2007, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondo View Post
Thanks for the input. My son's about 5'8"/5'9", so the rider compartment seems about right. The gearing you suggested is exactly where we're at. The power valve cover suggestion is most helpful. This is just the kind of info I'm hoping to get from this forum. Keep it coming!
Im about his height and have the same bike, just as an '03 not an 05.

I find Reikon bars are good and im pretty sure they are slightly higher than stock.
I find Domino grips work pretty well too, i never get arm pump or anything like that.
The Zokes are great, but if you can get the Ohlins for not much more, go for it. They are great in the roots and rocks and gnarly stuff.
Speedy's right, 13/52's great in the tight stuff, i have 13/50 and i can get around (most of what we ride is tight stuff) but 13/52 would make it easier.

These bikes are great and you can have an absolute ball on them.

'03 GasGas EC200 My bike
'89 Yamaha TT250 R.I.P - Lost in the Black Saturday Fires
Old 10-17-2007, 04:26 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Stick with the spring loaded chain guide. That old Husqvarna invention is THE best. I have now 4 years of tight root/rock infested, rutted trailriding, and have yet to de-rail a chain.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:31 AM

All of the feedback so far is great! Can anyone give me some advice regarding what parts of the bike need special attention as far as maintenance is concerned
(for example, KTM kickstarter bolts and kickstand bolts are notorious for getting loose and MUST be Loctited or they disappear).
SpeedyManiac recommended an LTR power valve cover to help the bottom end on the bike. Are there any other aftermarket add-ons that help the bike perform up to it's full potential or make it easier to live with?
Old 10-17-2007, 08:29 AM
Banned

I would avoid the ohlins forks unless you are able to service them yourself Any tangable differences in performance will be negated by their high maintainence requirments. parts are pricey and they require special tools to work on. I have a set and it has been my experiance that if you dont change the oil every 15 hours your asking for trouble. The ohlins seem to foul the oil very quickly, prob because of the 3 bushings designe and when that happens the performance deteriorates noticably and you can start to blow seals.Also these type of ohlins are an older designe and apart from the bling factor hold little advantage over a well dialed in set of zokes.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:34 AM

I've had my 99EC200 for several years and the bike has been bullet proof! Roostafish who posts on this board was the first owner. Messico pipe, FMF Turbine CoreII, suspension redone by LTR. I have added the LTR jet kit. A WER dampner handles front end duties. I really don't think there is much to be changed. I added a skid plate from Uath Cycle Sports. Other than that ride it! I do use loctite blue on my subframe bolts and nuts. Clean airfilter and change the tranny oil always helps. Keep the left side power valve area clean. The 200 hauls my 195 pound frame around through the woods with no problem. The only complant would be the forks. The 45mm Magnum Zokes tend to be a little flexly when pushed. Other than that, The 200 is a solid performer!

Rick
99Ec200
AMA
D36
Old 10-17-2007, 09:00 AM
Site Sponsor

I would agree with widebear the ohlins are nice but servicing them can be headache.

I've attended 21 Six Days as a working Photojournalist