Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 05-20-2007, 04:31 AM

Default shiftshaft/long ride in 1st!

Well I was out for a big dual sport ride Saturday,, 120+ miles mostly trail planned,, weather was beautiful, 65 and sunny,, at about mile 32 coming down a hill with a hairpin to the right I was just shifting down and the shifter dropped. I stopped and looked down it was just pointing at the ground. Just rotated like it wasn't attached,, so I putter down the trail to the road. I'm about 24 miles from home at this point,, I start down the skirt,, a whopping 5mph! Any gear but first! At about an hour I made it 6.1 and found a place to call for a truck. Got here home and had the side cover off in minutes. The shaft broke free from the pawl,, right at the weld. I called the sorta local GG dealer and the parts kid said He broke his the same way too,, cheap part, like $30,, but he said they were on backorder....
Such a clean break I took it over to a buddy who works fabricating parts for fire engines,, he has his own tig welder(my next big purchase), I should have it back better and stronger,, maybe today too!!
I'll post a pic when I get it back,, should have gotten a pic when it was broken,, but was kinda pissed off at the time..
Anybody here break one of these??
Later,,
Steve

Old 05-20-2007, 07:55 AM

bobIt had one break on a demo day ride,kinda freaky thing on a brand new bike,think he got stuck in second the whole way back
Old 05-21-2007, 06:12 AM

Steve,

Thats a strage one. Never heard of that before. The weld is sort of minimal in that area. Did you hit the shifter on something?

At least its easy to fix. When I was looking into a WR250F, one of the potentially weak spots was the shift forks in the trans bending easily from an impact on the shifter.

Get that thing fixed for next Monday. With you we will have eight guys. I have a section I'm going to add that we didn't ride in years, have to walk part of it this week and check if a river crossing is possible.

Yesterday's ride was awesome. Seven of us did over 20 miles of tight single track, most of it new. Slick in the AM but turned out great. The '07 rails in the tight, in this stuff the improvements are very apparent. It took a few miles to get used to the faster steering, especially in the AM when it was slick, but after that it was great.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:05 AM

Glenn,
I'm ordering one from Jack, but I had mine tig welded,, picking it up tonight so if all goes well I'll be riding around the yard tonight,,
Steve
Old 05-23-2007, 02:08 PM

Well, got the part back from my buddy, looks better than the factory weld,, should be reassembling it tonight..
http://render2.snapfish.com/render2/.../of=50,590,442

Old 05-23-2007, 08:30 PM

Nice weld! I assume he retained the stock index or your shifter may not wind up where you want it.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:35 AM

When it broke it was easy to line back up. He marked it to keep it clocked correct. At least He said he did. Hopefully I will know tonight. I was fighting a very high fever the last couple days due to bad case of poison oak or summac, not sure which. Dr. has me on steroids and benadryl now, hoping to see some relief soon..
Steve
Old 05-24-2007, 05:52 AM

Damn, you've had some real bad luck with health problems lately. Your due for a break, maybe win the lottery or something.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:49 PM

I should definatly buy a ticket!!
Old 05-29-2007, 07:11 PM

Well,,
I need the shaft anyway! a big part of the shift shaft broke off, maybe overheated by the tig? I was putting on the spring and dropped the shaft, about a 1 ft fall, and it snapped! I'm just having such a great season so far,,
Ok, I talked to Jack via email, he has one but since I wasnt in a rush, having mine welded I said I'd catch up with Him when He's back from Baja..
If anybody has one let me know, new, used or otherwise,, I'm still gonna buy the one Jack has. But I could use one for next weekend.
Steve