Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:32 PM

Unhappy Milky gearbox oil

Bought a really tidy '05 EC300 a couple of weeks ago, great bike, love the power. Today I noticed it was dripping oil from the breather pipe so thought I'd check and change the oil. Took off the drain plug and out came the oil, which was a milky pink! Im new to two strokes but surely it should be black?
Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Juzzasmith.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:39 PM

You either have a leaking water pump seal, or the bike ingested water through the trans/PV vent line. The GG water pumps are bulletproof so I would suspect the later, but check the coolant to be sure. Change the oil and run the bike a couple times to clean it out and route the trans vent to the airbox.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:30 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

To add to what GMP said, it's my guess that it was running ATF for the milky pink color.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:40 PM

Replace the pink milk with shell Rotella, sythetic 5w40. The vent tube runs off the right side powervalve cover. I run mine up behind the radiator and tuck it into the area right behind the steering stem. It has a small brass screw in the end of it. The srcew keeps water splashes out and lets gasses escape.

Paul B

Congrats on the bike and if you haven't done it yet make sure the powervalve mechanism is properly adjusted.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:23 AM

Thanks guys, coolant seems fine so must have pulled water in through the breather pipe, I'll get that re-routed before riding again. Been reading up about Shell Rotella, seems great but I'm not sure if Shell do an equivalent here in the UK. Shame cos it would save me some cash!

Juzzasmith
Old 03-08-2007, 11:51 AM

Any good diesel oil without friction modifiers works great in a clutch/trans. The advantage of the synthetic Rotella 5W-40W is that it is lighter and the clutch drags much less. I'd bet there is something close in the UK.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:01 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by juzzasmith View Post
Thanks guys, coolant seems fine so must have pulled water in through the breather pipe, I'll get that re-routed before riding again. Been reading up about Shell Rotella, seems great but I'm not sure if Shell do an equivalent here in the UK. Shame cos it would save me some cash!

Juzzasmith
Looks like shell rimula is a close U.K. equivalent to U.S. shell rotella. They make a shell rimula ultra 5w30 that would probably work very, very well.

I also checked to see if they sell mobil delvac in the u.k. - they do - look for mobil delvac-1 5w40 - this is their synthetic diesel oil that is equivalant to the shell rotella syn 5w40. (actually, the mobil is a full syn where I think the shell is a blend).

jeff
Old 03-08-2007, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juzzasmith View Post

Juzzasmith
I've never found the Rotella here. I use Putoline Light Gear Oil - it feels lighter than a 5W/40 as well. I've been using it for 3 years now and it's the same clutch so must be ok.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:48 PM

I'm in the uk and found castrol do a 5w40 oil. It's called edge and is for vw turbodiesel engines.

Here's the link to some shpiel about it.
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/produ...tentId=7009125

they also do:
0w30
5w30
0w40
10w60
Old 03-12-2007, 09:57 AM

hi,you can't go far wrong with the putoline range thats readily available in the uk,reasonably priced and i've never heard of a gasser go wrong on it so it must be good,happy riding!!
the dag.