Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
2Twould be less of a problem than on the 4T since the engine is not crammed so close to the tank?
Clay
Heat is THE biggest problem.
In comparison with an automobile: A dirt bike, the fuel lines are short, the fuel tank sits right on top of the heat source.
An automobile has multiple injectors, therfore the fuel flow is greater, cooling the fuel rails and injectors off.

Vapor lock on cars have really not being an issue, until lately. More and more cars have direct injection engines. Vapor lock is rearing its ugly head again.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:50 PM

Clay,

Yes, but not only for the likely added space. Actually I wouldn't count on a lot of extra space seeing that the HP injector on the head is somewhat tall. The 2stroke just runs cooler. Heat causes fuel vaporization where you don't want it, false sensor data which in turn causes the ECU to incorrectly bias the mixture, and in some cases just plain damage and component failure. For a Berg I would insulate the fuel lines in a silicone/nomex sheath, add reflective foil
nomex to the underside of the tank and airbox, and ceramic coat the header inside and out. Swain Tech did a god job for me, thick coating, not as pretty as the JetHot stuff but durable and functional. In some cases it may pay to relocate the air temp sensor. My HD VRod was like that.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:43 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Great info!

I see the biggest hurdle for 2-stroke DI is the patents.

Not much else is available unless GG wants to build their own DI system. I don't see that happening any time soon. I would not do it with the economies around the world being on edge. The only other option is to pay the fees for licensing DI. They could pick from Evinrude/Ski-Doo for E-TEC or Orbital DI system. I believe Orbital DI system is owned or is part owned by Polaris. Remember Polaris and KTM had/have a partnership. Maybe we could bring back the Can-Am with a re-badged GG.